Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
No but the supply to Eriksen would still be the same- slow, ponderous, late.
Watch Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier, Dembele, Sanchez... They get it and immediately look to find Eriksen who peels off his markers. One touch and straight into him. He's now high up the pitch with some time to play.
At Everton, we have Jags clearly being told to go long to Niasse and Morgan / Gueye passing to each other, the CBs or the full backs.
Eriksen would be bullied here because our state of play concentrated the centre of the pitch at a snail's pace.

He'd go deep and pick the ball up, make things happen. Something Siggurdson NEVER does.

Arteta used to run games, certainly against palace calibre teams. And get a similar level of assists from set plays, score goals and track back. That's what would be useful from Gylfi.
unfortunately siggy is nowhere near the caliber of player arteta was, unless we get a ludicrous offer for Ross, we need to get him playing and take the hit of losing him for free, because survival is at stake here, we really are that bad

Those 3 were standout players for their respected clubs.
So we get shut and bring in some "far better players"
They come in and play exactly the same as these lads , where are we then Zat ?
All three are very good player's , its the imbalanced and disfunctional squad we have. Until this is addressed we wont see the best of any of them.

Hold on a second...any fool could see Klaassen for what he was (actually I'm wrong, Koeman is a fool and he couldn't)...

Bolasie you can just watch him and/or look at his stats at his former clubs...

Schneiderlin seems to have totally gone off the rails...but there were better players available

It's about looking at how these players fit into the team and what they can add...or if theyre that good, how do we adapt to them to make us improve as a team.

When you look at Klaassen and Bolasie...neither adds anything we don't either have already or don't need.

Schneiderlin did add something to our midfield BUT isn't what we need...

Sigurdsson I liked watching him score worldies and such but ive not seen him enough to know how good he would be myself, now of course its clear that he doesn't look like anything we need.

Surely it shouldn't matter if these were superstars at their former clubs or cost buttons...they don't suit us at all

Hold on a second...any fool could see Klaassen for what he was (actually I'm wrong, Koeman is a fool and he couldn't)...

Bolasie you can just watch him and/or look at his stats at his former clubs...

Schneiderlin seems to have totally gone off the rails...but there were better players available

It's about looking at how these players fit into the team and what they can add...or if theyre that good, how do we adapt to them to make us improve as a team.

When you look at Klaassen and Bolasie...neither adds anything we don't either have already or don't need.

Schneiderlin did add something to our midfield BUT isn't what we need...

Sigurdsson I liked watching him score worldies and such but ive not seen him enough to know how good he would be myself, now of course its clear that he doesn't look like anything we need.

Surely it shouldn't matter if these were superstars at their former clubs or cost buttons...they don't suit us at all
Sorry I don't understand re Bolasie.
He's the only one we have with pace.
Or do you mean when he signed? As we had Del?

Sorry I don't understand re Bolasie.
He's the only one we have with pace.
Or do you mean when he signed? As we had Del?

He's an utter show pony...

Stats wise he was awful in his career up to us signing him
As a player he lets the ball roll over his foot...runs forward trying 'tricks' then punts it randomly without looking

Absolute donkey of a player.

He's an utter show pony...

Stats wise he was awful in his career up to us signing him
As a player he lets the ball roll over his foot...runs forward trying 'tricks' then punts it randomly without looking

Absolute donkey of a player.
For once I disagree Zat. I won't bore everyone with why I disagree as I've done that already to previous posters in here.

this isn't quite true, he didn't hit his peak at first but it was very obvious what a good footballer he was, hence why so many so got so anxious as the club did their best to miss out on him for the sake of 2.5mill when his loan ended

I agree mate he was all potential, he didnt look a bad player technically but he was light weight and unimposing in terms of the player he became. He didn't look anything like what he became the best midfielder in the PL for a couple of years (in my opinion) until at least about 18 months of being with us.

I agree mate he was all potential, he didnt look a bad player technically but he was light weight and unimposing in terms of the player he became. He didn't look anything like what he became the best midfielder in the PL for a couple of years (in my opinion) until at least about 18 months of being with us.
light and day between what we've seen from siggy so far though, and he wasn't totally unimposing, in fact as a 23/24 year old who was suffering in his career at that point he showed far more footballing bravery and took far more responsibility that a 28 year record signing, the 1-0 utd win springs to mind, he was our best outfield player against Villarreal just a few months later, and he was coming into a side that had just lost it's fulcrum in Graveson, but he still took up the challenge

light and day between what we've seen from siggy so far though, and he wasn't totally unimposing, in fact as a 23/24 year old who was suffering in his career at that point he showed far more footballing bravery and took far more responsibility that a 28 year record signing, the 1-0 utd win springs to mind, he was our best outfield player against Villarreal just a few months later, and he was coming into a side that had just lost it's fulcrum in Graveson, but he still took up the challenge

I have a different memory mate, i don't think he hit the ground running as quickly as you say, flashes yes but i member some early frustrations there was a player there alright but it took him a while to prove himself in my opinion. I suspose he also had the benifit of coming into a team on an upward trajectory and i remember him playing on the wing for a lot of his early days before coming in more central.

I think its an unfair comparison with Siggy, i am a huge fan of his and have no doubt he will prove a top player for us. My own opinion is the squad is massively unbalanced, lacks cohesion and is relatively new. The chopping and changing of managers and general uncertainty, compounds this. I dont think Siggy has been better or worse then anyone else if i am honest. I thought he did well yesterday and was involved in the goal. I have a feeling he has been told to stay far advanced and hurt if he can in the final third given we essentially have no cutting edge. There are so many victims of the really poor planning behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back