Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just not worth the money at all...another 'Bolasie', 'Schneiderlin', 'Klaassen' big money signing to show we were 'flexing our muscles'...

Far better players out there.
Those 3 were standout players for their respected clubs.
So we get shut and bring in some "far better players"
They come in and play exactly the same as these lads , where are we then Zat ?
All three are very good player's , its the imbalanced and disfunctional squad we have. Until this is addressed we wont see the best of any of them.

With the greatest of respect, does anyone genuinely believe that Eriksen would prosper in the current team?
Siggy is working his balls off and offering assists / good deliveries.
Until we sort out the fact we can't seem to maintain possession from the defence out, he's just got to keep grafting.
I've no doubt he's a quality player.

As I said above mate, it's all about opinions, but I've yet to walk out of a game saying to myself "Sigurdsson really put a shift in there today"

With the greatest of respect, does anyone genuinely believe that Eriksen would prosper in the current team?
Siggy is working his balls off and offering assists / good deliveries.
Until we sort out the fact we can't seem to maintain possession from the defence out, he's just got to keep grafting.
I've no doubt he's a quality player.

Yes. 100% because he asks for the ball, keeps possession, and actively tries and creates in the right areas. He's also an exceptional player.

Siggurdson is very average with a good setpiece on him.

Even if we'd had Drogba in his pomp, you'd still rarely see Siggurdson dictate a game and split a defence.

Must hold my hands up Chris, even I got sucked in by all that.

There were plenty of important games he went missing for Swansea last year Lou. For some reason I watched a couple of their relegation battle games last year and I’ve never seen such a cowards display from someone who was clearly more technically gifted than most. He hid, never held possession to control the pace of the game, wanted it away from him ASAP.

Then he’d throw a cross in, they’d score

Is it Gylfi fault or i it Evertons?

I maintain he is a player of the highest quality, the current approach is high intenisty effort and graff in a very unbalanced team, hes not going to thrive is a set up like that.

I think broadly we have players of high quality but our team is very imbalanced and we cant provide the foundation to get the best out of players.

Yes. 100% because he asks for the ball, keeps possession, and actively tries and creates in the right areas. He's also an exceptional player.

Siggurdson is very average with a good setpiece on him.

Even if we'd had Drogba in his pomp, you'd still rarely see Siggurdson dictate a game and split a defence.
No but the supply to Eriksen would still be the same- slow, ponderous, late.
Watch Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Dier, Dembele, Sanchez... They get it and immediately look to find Eriksen who peels off his markers. One touch and straight into him. He's now high up the pitch with some time to play.
At Everton, we have Jags clearly being told to go long to Niasse and Morgan / Gueye passing to each other, the CBs or the full backs.
Eriksen would be bullied here because our state of play concentrated the centre of the pitch at a snail's pace.

Could do with a proper target man, that's his game, supply, there is definitely a place in our team for a player like Sigurdsson, we just payed over the odds for him.

When in form in a team playing well he will be an asset for sure.

Arteta was brought into a team with a clear identity, a regular first 11 and a team adept at dealing with pressure.

Fair point. And to be fair Arteta played wide mid until Moyes had one of his regular long over due epiphanies of playing players in positions they would excel in.

I don't think Gylfi is capable of playing how Arteta played and I'm not really asking him to. My frustration is more with Koeman and the club at signing a player we probably didn't really need for silly money. I.e. I think we need a player to knit play together. Some might argue Schneiderlin is supposed to be that man, but it's not happened and competition is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back