Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was as well as Sig has played for us. He won tackles and set up a goal.
However his painfully limited skillset is now plain to see. Just doesn't get involved in play enough.
But I will offer him some excuses (as I will our defense) as the one great strength of our squad, a massively solid central midfield has gone awol.

He has been poor generally but today however I didn’t think he did that well or that badly. If DCL finishes from that cut back, he finishes the game with two assists for his stats- and therein lies the truth with Gylfi Sigurdsson. He’s an ultimate fantasy premier league player. He’ll get assists and even a few goals, both mostly coming from set pieces. But when you actually watch him play regularly as we do now, you don’t feel like he’s really influencing the game over the course of 90 minutes.

He’ll never dictate the play or run the show. Not at the level we need him to. He’s a cog in a machine, and when the overall machine is poor, he’s poor. You can make a great highlights package out of him, but the truth is that from open play he’s never been that influential. He’s going to need to step it up a lot to succeed here. He needs to show that he wants the ball at all times so he can make things happen.

It’s really not all his fault that we decided to blow £45 million on him and on a version of him that doesn’t exist. I’m sure Swansea miss him. But the fact is that the expectations at Swansea are very different (at least they should be) from those at Everton. Unfortunately my worry is that when you reach 28 and you’re still at a club like Swansea then there’s a reason for that. Do we think that he somehow just went unnoticed and undervalued by all the top clubs across Europe for some unknown reason?
That is spot on mate - good post. For me yesterday I agree he was ok. Put his foot in to a few tackles and seemed to run more than I’ve seen him do . He is never going to be a world beater but as the team improves I think he will . Don’t write him off just yet as I think he will be ok .

Hold on a second...any fool could see Klaassen for what he was (actually I'm wrong, Koeman is a fool and he couldn't)...

Bolasie you can just watch him and/or look at his stats at his former clubs...

Schneiderlin seems to have totally gone off the rails...but there were better players available

It's about looking at how these players fit into the team and what they can add...or if theyre that good, how do we adapt to them to make us improve as a team.

When you look at Klaassen and Bolasie...neither adds anything we don't either have already or don't need.

Schneiderlin did add something to our midfield BUT isn't what we need...

Sigurdsson I liked watching him score worldies and such but ive not seen him enough to know how good he would be myself, now of course its clear that he doesn't look like anything we need.

Surely it shouldn't matter if these were superstars at their former clubs or cost buttons...they don't suit us at all
Ok Zat...tell us the alternatives and are they available and would come to us.
Cos you are just the guy to sign all our players.

Manager wanted them ,club signed them , it hasnt worked ....yet.
Doesnt mean they are bad players , i've said it before sign a Top goalscorer and a dominant centre back and the club would be challenging top end of the division.

I agree mate he was all potential, he didnt look a bad player technically but he was light weight and unimposing in terms of the player he became. He didn't look anything like what he became the best midfielder in the PL for a couple of years (in my opinion) until at least about 18 months of being with us.
He was both fans and players player of the year in his first full season with us mate, so I think your memory's playing tricks on you. I agree that he got better after that period, but he was still comfortably one of, if not the best player we had almost as soon as he came - and he was only 22 then. Sigurdsson on the other hand, is starting to look like an even worse piece of business than I originally feared.

He was both fans and players player of the year in his first full season with us mate, so I think your memory's playing tricks on you. I agree that he got better after that period, but he was still comfortably one of, if not the best player we had almost as soon as he came - and he was only 22 then. Sigurdsson on the other hand, is starting to look like an even worse piece of business than I originally feared.

But he was here 6 months before that, like i say it took him 18 months. Im not having a pop at Arteta, i just found the comparison with Sigurrdson an unfair one and a little bit misleading after 10 games in.

Pretty anonymous again on Saturday. Find it bonkers how a guy with his experience in this league can be so invisible.. and in his preferred position.

But he was here 6 months before that, like i say it took him 18 months. Im not having a pop at Arteta, i just found the comparison with Sigurrdson an unfair one and a little bit misleading after 10 games in.
But it didn't did it? Because he was player of the year in his first season, meaning those performances came within his first 18 months...

The other part of what I said is also important - Arteta was 22 for those first 10 games or so you're talking about, as well as being new to the league, so he was always likely to get better - Sigurdsson is 28 and has spent almost his entire career in English football. The simple fact is he isn't producing, and that would be the case whether he'd cost £4.5m or £45m.

But it didn't did it? Because he was player of the year in his first season, meaning those performances came within his first 18 months...

The other part of what I said is also important - Arteta was 22 for those first 10 games or so you're talking about, as well as being new to the league, so he was always likely to get better - Sigurdsson is 28 and has spent almost his entire career in English football. The simple fact is he isn't producing, and that would be the case whether he'd cost £4.5m or £45m.

He was player of the year, when he was here for half a season on loan? 6 months, 1 season is 18 months.

Wasnt he 23 and he had also played two seasons for Rangers. But i know the point you are making. But saying there wasnt an innital settling in period is ridiculous, there clearly was and he wasnt scoring or assiting every week.

I am also not saying Sigurrdson has set the world a lite, what i am saying is he is quality player who has played 10 games for us in the league, in a woefully unbalanced team, that chope and changes its manager with no cutting edge.

My point is its very early and given the context i think he needs some leeway, hes no better or worse then anyone else this season. Yet has consistently gotten duble figures in goals and assists and performed at the higest level in International tournaments and in other leagues.

Without question he will come good.

He was player of the year, when he was here for half a season on loan? 6 months, 1 season is 18 months.

Wasnt he 23 and he had also played two seasons for Rangers. But i know the point you are making. But saying there wasnt an innital settling in period is ridiculous, there clearly was and he wasnt scoring or assiting every week.

I am also not saying Sigurrdson has set the world a lite, what i am saying is he is quality player who has played 10 games for us in the league, in a woefully unbalanced team, that chope and changes its manager with no cutting edge.

My point is its very early and given the context i think he needs some leeway, hes no better or worse then anyone else this season. Yet has consistently gotten duble figures in goals and assists and performed at the higest level in International tournaments and in other leagues.

Without question he will come good.
Oh dear. The point I'm making is that Arteta was double player of the year in his first FULL season. The performances that made him player of the year came within the first 18 months of him being here. You can't say it took him 18 months to settle in because it clearly didn't - the fact that he only picked up the award after 18 months is not relevant, his performances for us during his first season won him awards that could only be presented once the season had ended.

Nobody is saying Arteta was scoring and assisting every week as soon as he arrived, simply that he very quickly became a key component of our team, something Sigurdsson has not managed. I know Sigurdsson is a good player, but I also know what he can and can't do, and as @Timak has put across very eloquently and with supporting facts, what we are seeing of him is an accurate reflection of what he has always done. He is not a player like Arteta who could run games and probe constantly, he's a player who gets goals and assists through being very good at a few aspects of the game. Unfortunately, we need him to try and do a bit more than that at the moment, and he's struggling to do it.

This video of his performance is hilarious! But I think it demonstrates he did OK, created a lot of chances which should have been buried and then we would be raving about him right now.

Think he is doing alright to at least be heading in the right direction amongst all the dirge

Oh dear. The point I'm making is that Arteta was double player of the year in his first FULL season. The performances that made him player of the year came within the first 18 months of him being here. You can't say it took him 18 months to settle in because it clearly didn't - the fact that he only picked up the award after 18 months is not relevant, his performances for us during his first season won him awards that could only be presented once the season had ended.

Nobody is saying Arteta was scoring and assisting every week as soon as he arrived, simply that he very quickly became a key component of our team, something Sigurdsson has not managed. I know Sigurdsson is a good player, but I also know what he can and can't do, and as @Timak has put across very eloquently and with supporting facts, what we are seeing of him is an accurate reflection of what he has always done. He is not a player like Arteta who could run games and probe constantly, he's a player who gets goals and assists through being very good at a few aspects of the game. Unfortunately, we need him to try and do a bit more than that at the moment, and he's struggling to do it.

The player of the year is your point, its completely irrelavent to me and wasn't part of my post, my point was it was an unfair comparison due to Sigurddsson playing 11 games for us and that Arteta wasnt the player he became within his first similar games at the club does the comparison was unfair. Likely for both a settling in period was required, new team mates, systems etc, Mikel came into a team a successful team less so Sigurdson he also had a stable managerial set up in place. But Arteta did not come into the team and set the world alight by any means, in fact it took him a couple of seasons to hit the player he became i think his stats would back that up the longer he was here the better and more productive he became. A good player when he came, yes could you see his brilliant technique without question, could you see the potential - a mile of, but he came with many rough edges.

I agree mate i dont accept that Sigurdson and Arteta are similar type of players at all, in fact i think they are quite different in their style of play and approach to the game. Its like saying that David Silva and KDB are similar players in their game.

Sigurrdson is not beyond cituiqe, of course he could do better, but i do feel you have to look at the context of the set he is coming into as well i think the Arteta comparison is unfair. He needs patience and time to adjust and he needs key personal around him i.e. a center forward, he also needs stability in a managerial set up.

This is why Reddit is not a very good place to discuss Everton:

"in all seriousness IMO gyfli has been great for us the way he dictates play changes the temp whites great balls in the moment we get a proper 9[Not Dcl] he will be deadly can't wait until then".

It's a little messy but you get the point. Ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back