Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even against mid table sides he's yet to impose. Whether he likes it or not he's the main man now, he should be running some of these games and far to often he's in hiding. Decent player but not anything special

Only so much you can do from the left wing. CMs/CAMs run the game. When he ha played there he has looked good and created opportunities.

I think he is beginning to settle and to work an understanding with Rooney, anyone who doesn't see his quality is watching a different game to the one I follow. He was Swansea's talisman and they built around him, he's in a different place with us and needs to adjust, but the signs are more encouraging.

I feel like a broken record here but did he not score that goal last night from the inside left position?

There's an absolute obsession to get him playing in the number 10 role, like that's going to transform the players around him and make them more capable of playing the football that will allow him to thrive.

I can't understand how people don't see his ability to play that role in the way Artera/Pienaar did but to even better effect with his crossing.
Basically, he's a good player who played centrally for Swans (for the most part at least) and Iceland (always really).

Also people, myself included, probably think that he's really not an "out and out winger", and Bolasie will have a more consistent impact from left wing. Gylfi doesn't have the pace to get through people like, say, Bolasie, Vlasic or Lookman do, but keeps getting put in a position where he's more or less required to do that*. Lookman/Vlasic - Gylfi - Bolasie/Lenin/Vlasic/Lookman is probably better, but it'll never happen*.

*Rooney 100% has to play when he's even remotely fit, because it's Rooney, and to bench him would be a sin, so this will never happen unless he gets injured or tired.

That analysis was destroyed in about 5 minutes. Please.

So let me get this straight. The guy hardly makes a bad touch all night, buries a screamer to give us the lead, covers down for Martina for 90 minutes, gives DCL a layup, puts every set piece right on the money, and people are still saying he stinks?

It's that thing fans always do where an injured player suddenly becomes twice as good in their absence, this time it's Barkley.

Think he would be great in the role we saw Davies in. Basically there should be two spots ahead of Gueye in midfield and on current form they should be Rooney and Siggurdson but Schneiderfraud keepers getting in there and unbalancing the whole thing.

Basically, he's a good player who played centrally for Swans (for the most part at least) and Iceland (always really).

Also people, myself included, probably think that he's really not an "out and out winger", and Bolasie will have a more consistent impact from left wing. Gylfi doesn't have the pace to get through people like, say, Bolasie, Vlasic or Lookman do, but keeps getting put in a position where he's more or less required to do that*. Lookman/Vlasic - Gylfi - Bolasie/Lenin/Vlasic/Lookman is probably better, but it'll never happen*.

*Rooney 100% has to play when he's even remotely fit, because it's Rooney, and to bench him would be a sin, so this will never happen unless he gets injured or tired.

I think if you look down the years it's very rare that teams play with two out and out wingers, especially away from home. It's good to have a balance.

He didn't have a decent preseason attract Swansea. They didn't play him in friendlies and made him train alone or with the kids. Then he joined us and we got spanked every week. No surprise that now he's getting games and we seem to have learned to defend, we're starting to see his class.

it’s not a coincidence that his improvement coincides with his willingness to run with the ball like an actual winger, and also his defensive work. He looks more like a winger than a number 10 now.

Think he can score 10 goals this season. DCL can get 10. Rooney can get 20. Just need other players to pitch in too. Maybe Davies can get a goal or two, Bolasie too, and Niasse will easily score another 5 if he's given 10-15 games to play some part in. That's still not enough goals mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back