2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
''Worst value signing of all time from an analytics point of view''

Axo8peYORTiLXRZGOW8uOQ.png
6Jmx6fu_S9KjPn_b5_uGrg.png
VAXKeybLTamO2S1Pyvz2xQ.png

Gylfi outperformed the best Playmakers in the PL with 18-50% fewer passes. On average 39.5%.

From 2014/15 to 2016/17

• Sigurdsson: 54 goals/assists in 106 apps = 51%
  • Eriksen: 54 goals/assists in 109 apps = 49%
  • Ozil 51 goals/assists in 90 apps = 56%
  • Fabregas: 50 goals/assists in 100 apps = 50%
  • Hazard: 51 goals/assists in 105 apps = 48%
  • Silva: 43 goals/assists in 90 apps = 47.5%
  • Coutinho: 43 goals/assists in 97 apps = 46.5%

• de Bruyne 64 apps, 41 goals/assists. 64% (2 seasons in PL)

Passes per match

• Fabregas: 6600 passes in 100 apps = 66 per app
  • Ozil 5689 passes in 90 apps = 63 per app
  • Silva: 5539 passes in 90 apps = 61.5 per app
  • Eriksen: 5659 passes in 109 apps = 52 per app
  • Hazard: 5329 passes in 105 apps = 51 per app
  • Coutinho: 4047 passes in 97 apps = 42 per app
  • Sigurdsson: 3309 passes in 106 apps = 31 per app

• de Bruyne: 2891 passes in 90 apps = 32 per app (2 seasons in PL)

The fewest passes, but the most goals & assists?

So he outperforms the best Playmakers in the PL with fewer passes, yet somehow isn't on their level?

Efficiency wise he is in a league of his own as a Playmaker.

• Sigurdsson - Passes per chance: 16,46. Passes per key pass: 18,80. Passes per assist: 122.
  • Ozil - Passes per chance: 18,23. Passes per key pass: 20,39. Passes per assist: 172,39.
  • Eriksen - Passes per chance: 18,37. Passes per key pass: 20,36. Passes per assist: 188,63.
  • Hazard - Passes per chance: 21,06. Passes per key pass: 22,58. Passes per assist: 280,47.
  • Silva - Passes per chance: 22,98. Passes per key pass: 24,84. Passes per assist: 222.
  • Coutinho - Passes per chance: 23,53. Passes per key pass: 26,11. Passes per assist: 238,06.
  • Fabregas - Passes per chance: 30,00. Passes per key pass: 35,87. Passes per assist: 183,33.
  • de Bruyne - Passes per chance: 15,88. Passes per key pass: 18,65. Passes per assist: 107,07. (2 seasons in PL)
Fewest passes, created the most goals & assists, and has the best passes per chance/key pass/assist ratio.

Gylfi proved his pricetag during his time at Swansea, and if he's going to perform at that same level for Everton then he needs to play centrally.

In Sigurdsson's latest interview, he was asked ''Who is the best striking partner you've had?'' and he responded with Wilfried Bony.

''I always knew where he was going to run or where he was gonna be. It was quite easy to play off him & play with him.''

Here are his highlights from that 13 match period where they played together in the first half of 2014/15, before Bony was sold to Man City.

The defenders prioritized man-marking Gylfi & Bony which would open up for Swansea's wingers Dyer, Routledge & Montero.

This resulted in 9 of Gylfi's 10 assists that season being in open play, and creating most of his chances in open play too.

Tosun is a both footed, bigger & slower version of Bony. I have no doubt if he play him upfront with Gylfi in the middle next to two wingers that we'll score goals.

Here's how his stats compared to the rest of the Playmakers that season.

zt_dqAuzRKidSsFd78QqDg.png

Most assists, 3rd most chances, 4th most key passes with 1005 less passes than Silva.

Ozil & Coutinho only had 3 open play assists that season. Eriksen only had one.

Which means Gylfi had 9x more open play assists than Eriksen, and 3x more than Ozil & Coutinho.

In fact, to debunk the whole ''set piece merchant'' narrative, Gylfi only made 5 set piece assists in his first 5 PL seasons.

It's fairly obvious to see he isn't a set piece merchant, or a merchant in any way shape or form. He lacks speed, but is overall complete.

Oh Ricky your so fine, oh Ricky

You know what I noticed from that video? Every single one of his assists came from him playing in the middle. In other words, the role Davies is playing now.

Gylfi outperformed the best Playmakers in the PL with 18-50% fewer passes. On average 39.5%.

From 2014/15 to 2016/17

Passes per match

So he outperforms the best Playmakers in the PL with fewer passes, yet somehow isn't on their level?

• Sigurdsson - Passes per chance: 16,46. Passes per key pass: 18,80. Passes per assist: 122.
  • Ozil - Passes per chance: 18,23. Passes per key pass: 20,39. Passes per assist: 172,39.
  • Eriksen - Passes per chance: 18,37. Passes per key pass: 20,36. Passes per assist: 188,63.
  • Hazard - Passes per chance: 21,06. Passes per key pass: 22,58. Passes per assist: 280,47.
  • Silva - Passes per chance: 22,98. Passes per key pass: 24,84. Passes per assist: 222.
  • Coutinho - Passes per chance: 23,53. Passes per key pass: 26,11. Passes per assist: 238,06.
  • Fabregas - Passes per chance: 30,00. Passes per key pass: 35,87. Passes per assist: 183,33.
  • de Bruyne - Passes per chance: 15,88. Passes per key pass: 18,65. Passes per assist: 107,07. (2 seasons in PL)
Fewest passes, created the most goals & assists, and has the best passes per chance/key pass/assist ratio.

Gylfi proved his pricetag during his time at Swansea, and if he's going to perform at that same level for Everton then he needs to play centrally.

In Sigurdsson's latest interview, he was asked ''Who is the best striking partner you've had?'' and he responded with Wilfried Bony.

''I always knew where he was going to run or where he was gonna be. It was quite easy to play off him & play with him.''

Here are his highlights from that 13 match period where they played together in the first half of 2014/15, before Bony was sold to Man City.

The defenders prioritized man-marking Gylfi & Bony which would open up for Swansea's wingers Dyer, Routledge & Montero.

This resulted in 9 of Gylfi's 10 assists that season being in open play, and creating most of his chances in open play too.

Tosun is a both footed, bigger & slower version of Bony. I have no doubt if he play him upfront with Gylfi in the middle next to two wingers that we'll score goals.

Most assists, 3rd most chances, 4th most key passes with 1005 less passes than Silva.

Which means Gylfi had 9x more open play assists than Eriksen, and 3x more than Ozil & Coutinho.

In fact, to debunk the whole ''set piece merchant'' narrative, Gylfi only made 5 set piece assists in his first 5 PL seasons.

It's fairly obvious to see he isn't a set piece merchant, or a merchant in any way shape or form. He lacks speed, but is overall complete.

If I see that coloured chart with the passing stats one more time it'll be too soon.

Having watched the video I now think we should spend £125m on Routledge, Nathan Dyer and Wilfred Bony and get Gary Monk in as manager.

Routledge & Dyer lost their pace after this season, and have since created 10 goals combined in 2½ seasons.

Jeffersson Montero was miles better as a winger than both of them, just not as clinical of a goal scorer.

So far no winger has linked up as quite as well as Montero did with Sigurdsson.

The pace, dribbling & linkup play was one thing, but the favourite thing about Montero was the fact that he always played LW.

Which meant that Gylfi played centrally whenever Montero was on the pitch.

Some more highlights of him. Miles better than Bolasie, and much more consistent than Lookman/Vlasic.

We definitely need someone like him at LW so that Gylfi & Walcott don't get crowded out due to our lack of width on the left.

There are plenty of people that do this about Messi, Ronaldo, etc.

For an example Cenk Tosun brought over a lot of Turkish fans to Everton. Granted they didn't stay for very long as he isn't getting any play time. Chicharito has a huge fanbase in Mexico, Ji-sung Park for South Korea, Kagawa for Japan, etc.

The only reason why I watch him is because he is capable of doing things that nobody else can at the moment. That's why I'm so adamant about his both footedness.

Sure you lot haven't seen much of it this season, but you have. And you will see more.

Messi isn't both footed, and if he were he would be the best player in the world by a mile.

Name 1 player better than him at shooting, crossing & passing like him on both feet? You cant.

''Lots of players that are more footed'' Yeah, like who? You literally cant name one. Not even throughout history.

Shots compilation

Crosses compilation

Passes compilation

Who throughout history has possessed both footed shooting, passing & crossing? Even if there was a player as both footed as him, let's add on his set piece ability.

So not only is he both footed, but he also takes world class free kicks, penalties, corners & set pieces?

But then he also defends extremely well? Can play upfront, on the wings or in midfield?

He's not only highlights, but the passing statistics show that him & de Bruyne are in a league of their own.

BV82AhgKRqqD4DNupR6AxA.png

Passes

Fabregas - 6600
Ozil - 5689
Eriksen - 5659
Mata - 4174
Coutinho - 4047
Sigurdsson - 3309

* KDB - 2891

Chances

Ozil - 312
Eriksen - 308
Fabregas - 220
Sigurdsson - 201
Coutinho - 172
Mata - 147

* KDB - 182

Key passes

Ozil - 279
Eriksen - 278
Fabregas - 184
Sigurdsson - 176
Coutinho - 155
Mata - 135

* KDB - 155

Assists

Fabregas - 37
Ozil - 33
Eriksen - 30
Sigurdsson - 27
Coutinho - 17
Mata - 12

* KDB - 27

Note: KDB only played 2 full seasons, so he is sidelined.

Now all you have to do is divide the passes with the chances, key passes & assists!

Passes per chance

Sigurdsson - 16.46
Ozil - 18.28
Eriksen - 18.37
Coutinho - 23.53
Mata - 28.39
Fabregas - 30.00

* KDB - 15.88

Passes per key pass

Sigurdsson - 18.80
Ozil - 20.39
Eriksen - 20.36
Fabregas - 35.87
Coutinho - 23.53
Mata - 28.39

* KDB - 18.65

Passes per assist

Sigurdsson - 122
Ozil - 172
Fabregas - 183
Eriksen - 188
Coutinho - 238
Mata - 347

* KDB - 107

The stats show that Gylfi not only is equal to the other Playmakers, but actually outperforms all of them regarding efficiency.

The facts, stats & highlights all suggest he is world class. His fee suggests he is world class.

Yes, not all of his performances for Everton have been world class. Far from it. But how good would any of the other Playmakers do in his shoes? I don't believe any other player could've kept Swansea up last season.

Perfect example of a ''both footed'' player that rarely scores or assists.

Sure he's a DM, but comparing their feet are laughable. Gylfi is head above heels better at scoring, assisting, crossing & passing than Kroos.

Kroos has 33 goals in 246 league matches for Real Madrid & Bayern. Two of the best teams in the world.

That's a 13.5% goal ratio. Gylfi has 34 goals in 124 PL matches for Swansea, 27.5%.

Kroos has 65 assists in 246 league matches, 26.5%

Gylfi has 28 assists in 88 PL matches for Swansea as a Playmaker/winger, 32% assist ratio

I'll admit Kroos's stats are impressive, but you're comparing someone who plays with Ronaldo to someone who had Bony/Llorente/Gomis/Ayew.

Kroos is only close to Gylfi in regards to taking corners. Not free kicks, penalties or set pieces. But he's obviously better defensively, faster & stronger, that's about it.

So who exactly have I been supporting this whole season? Just because I support the club because of a player doesn't mean I don't actually support the club.

This season, yes. He is currently only boasting the stats of a 'good' player. But he was in a league of his own for 95% of last season.

The only reason why you don't hear him being talked about is because KDB & Eriksen pipped him on the last few days of the season with Spurs & City winning games with 4 goals or more.

Otherwise he would've been the Playmaker with the most goals & assists combined.

dPrlgDXJQJqu_rnwZGtMDA.png

• 20 years old - 25 goals/assists in 38 matches in the Championship. Knocked Liverpool out of the FA Cup.

• 21 years old - 12 goals & assists in 1241 minutes in the Bundesliga. 1 every 103 minutes.

• 22 years old - 12 goals/assists in 18 PL apps, 9 in open play. (Loan to Swansea from January)

• 23-24 years old - Wasted playing LW at Spurs

• 25 years old - 17 goals/assists in 32 PL apps, 14 in open play. 9 out of 10 assists in open play.

• 26 years old - 15 goals/assists in 36 PL apps, 9 goals & 3 assists in 14 apps during 2nd half of season.

• 27 years old - 22 goals/assists in 38 PL apps, 0 goals scored in open play with right foot.

At 22 he received offers from Liverpool & Spurs.

He chose Spurs feeling that they had more ambition. He also grew up as a United supporter which might have influenced his decision.

At 25 he received offers from Everton & Leicester.

At 26 he received offers from Napoli, Everton, Leicester, RB Leipzig

At 27 he received offers from Atletico, Tottenham, Dortmund, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Leicester & settled with Everton.

Now he's 28 years old, and had a year similar to his time at Spurs. But if he has another 22-24 goal/assist season for Everton & pushes us to the top 4, then there is no doubt that a bigger club will come knocking again with possibly an even bigger fee that what we paid.

I like to think so. Yes. I usually say in the PL but it is truly incredible how little attention he gets from the incredible feats that he has accomplished.

Stuart James & Sachin Nakrani voted Gylfi Sigurdsson as the best player in the Premier League in 2016/17.

Maricio Pochettino said Gylfi was ''The perfect player'' & tried resigning him this summer.

Some extremely bias Icelandic pundits agree with me too. You can hear their assessment & analysis of him here:

Steve Walsh has made too many good signings to deserve this treatment. Almost all of his signings made sense.

I think there are several factors in why Sigurdsson hasn't gotten as much attention from other clubs as he should.

Lack of pace & strength being two key factors. Swansea haven't done well in all competitions, so Gylfi's stats in cups & games outside the PL were non existent, seeing as Swansea always got knocked out early in the same fashion we were.

Gylfi Sigurdsson is a moneyball signing. Here's a really good video that explains what that means:

Note: Even at £45 million Gylfi cost less than he should have when you compare his stats & ability to Coutinho for an example. But Coutinho was Neymar's replacement, which is the biggest reason why he cost so much.

I'll use another player as an example of a moneyball signing. N'golo Kante.

N'Golo Kante in 2014/15 for SM Caen

4.8 tackles per game.
2.9 interceptions per game.
0.9 clearances per game.

Leicester spotted this, bought him for £7.65m and won the league.

As a defensive midfielder, 5'6 Kante was too small for most scouts.

But the numbers told a story that the eye missed.

The same can be said about Sigurdsson. As ''bang average'' as he has been, he is only 11 goals & assists from his 23 goals & assists last season.

If he puts in another shift like he did against Palace, Swansea or Leicester in 5-7 of the next 10 games then he might finish with 22-24 goals/assists this season.

So who exactly is better in our side? Coleman & Baines have been the clubs best players for almost a decade, and neither of them have been playing.

Rooney & Niasse are gobshite whenever they don't score or assist (frequently) and our only player that has been consistent besides Gylfi is Pickford.

Either way I know you're just trolling. Nobody in their right mind would communicate like you do in a serious manner.

No Playmaker, winger or midfielder contributed in as many games as Sigurdsson did last season.

RgOUlCR0SWyyF7v97B1kKA.png

tenor_3.gif

Really? Because I'm pretty sure I would do the same thing for any of my favourite athletes. Football isn't even my 3rd favourite sport.

Gylfi is an 8 for Iceland.

He did it for Iceland during the Euro's, and in the qualifiers for the Euro's.

I'll admit in an ideal world Rooney & Gylfi don't play alongside each other. I'd prefer Rooney being on the bench and coming in as a supersub.

I'll admit you have a strong case, but I think the easiest solution would be to bench both Davies & Rooney. In my opinion Everton have several Top 6 caliber players (Pickford/Baines/RFM/Coleman/Gueye/Sigurdsson/Walcott) and that Davies/Rooney aren't even close to being one.

If we're going to challenge for the top 6 then we're going to need one new CM, unless if Klaassen starts showing his form at Ajax.

Lol this guy knows he too well.

Coming right up.

Spurs were reportedly seeking to pay Sigurdsson £125+25k in bonuses, but never went higher than £25 million & lost the bidding war.

All Sigurdsson needs is one good season where he'll replicate his 6 assists in 7 matches in 2014/15 (later 8 assists in 13 apps) or 9 goals & 3 assists in 14 apps in 15/16

20+ goals/assists in one season will almost guarantee that one of the big teams go after him, regardless whether or not if they manage to sign him.

Absolutely. What a waste it is to see him playing on the wing only for Rooney to constantly lose possession with poor decision making, first touches & passes.

Never answered the first time so thought I will ask again. What's the name of the song in the first video "shots compilation". Everytime I hear the song I can't help but put my sunglasses on fold my arms and just start nodding my head.

Okay.

de Bruyne: 7 goals, 14 assists.
Mahrez: 8 goals, 7 assists.
Eriksen: 7 goals, 7 assists.
Coutinho: 7 goals, 6 assists.
Silva: 6 goals, 8 assists.
Ozil: 4 goals, 7 assists.
Sigurdsson: 4 goals, 3 assists.

Gylfi didn't show up in the first 10 PL matches where we were playing our worst football this season.

So the fact that he has the same amount of goals as Ozil and only 3-4 less than KDB/Silva/Eriksen/Coutinho is actually quite impressive.

Let's take a closer look to the stats this season:

uN6qwlLHS3uol24nu5CHiA.png

• Sigurdsson - Passes per chance: 18,05. Passes per key pass: 19,69. Passes per assist: 216.
  • Ozil - Passes per chance: 22,12. Passes per key pass: 24,39. Passes per assist: 237.
  • Eriksen - Passes per chance: 22,86. Passes per key pass: 20,36. Passes per assist: 235.
  • Silva - Passes per chance: 22,98. Passes per key pass: 24,84. Passes per assist: 209.
  • Coutinho - Passes per chance: 16,80. Passes per key pass: 19,76. Passes per assist: 96.
Coutinho has more passes than Sigurdsson this season despite having only played 14 matches.
  • Ozil 1659 passes in 24 apps = 69 per app
  • Silva: 1888 passes in 23 apps = 61.5 per app
  • Eriksen: 1646 passes in 28 apps = 59 per app
  • Coutinho: 672 passes in 14 apps = 48 per app
  • Sigurdsson: 650 passes in 26 apps = 25 per app

Despite Gylfi only averaging 25 passes per match vs Silva's 61.5 per match, he still only has 4 less key pass & 12 less chances created. Playing for Everton, not recording breaking City.

If Gylfi had the same amount of passes as Silva's 1888, then he would be projected to have created 105 chances, 96 key passes & 9 assists.

Despite only having created 36 chances, he could very easily have 8 or 9 if it weren't for his wasteful team mates. *cough* DCL *cough*

Also, Lol @ all the fools who think I have ''way too much time on my hands'' for making a detailed, well articulated post.

You spend 10x more time than me here, if not more. I spend my time efficiently when I'm doing this, while you spend every day of your life here.

lol lol lol

From 2014/15 to 2016/17

Passes per match

You can quote the stats and ridiculous diagrams all you want, but the face remains; he is mentally weak, disappears in games, doesn’t graft anywhere near enough and does not act like a £45m player. In short he is a waste of money.

Also the fact that you take that much time out of your day to write up and google all that about anyone (not least a bang average footballer) is quite frankly, disturbing.

He hasn't had a "£45m" season but i feel he's had a steady one - there's clearly more levels to his game that he isn't showing, but most players this season have struggled to show their best.

Hopefully with a new manager and improved tactics we'll see the best of him next Season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back