Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have literally never seen him play, then. All he does is create opportunities for himself or his teammates. It's not like he hasn't played against the same competition in the EPL for years at this point.

I have watch every game he plays for us and creating chances are few and far between. He needs loads of space in order to feel comfortable to receive the ball and turn towards goal. Put a defender a yard or two near him and his first option is always passing back or sideway as if he is too afraid to try anything else.

Maybe we should play Long balls more often and he'll probably pick up loose ball facing goal to make his life easier.

I have watch every game he plays for us and creating chances are few and far between. He needs loads of space in order to feel comfortable to receive the ball and turn towards goal. Put a defender a yard or two near him and his first option is always passing back or sideway as if he is too afraid to try anything else.

Maybe we should play Long balls more often and he'll probably pick up loose ball facing goal to make his life easier.
You watched every game he played for Swans and Iceland? Or are you talking about the couple games he's played for us? Because Wayne Rooney hasn't done jack either, yet I do believe he's scored some goals before.

And the idea that he needs loads of space is even crazier. He's awesome in small spaces.

And the idea that he is AFRAID to try something is laughable. Do you know how many goals that guy has scored and how many assists he's gotten in the EPL?

Come on - you've seen him play 2 or 3 times in a very small window and no one on the team is playing well. Yet suddenly he stinks. That's also why LCFC bid over $40M for him.

Watching that match and it is fairly clear that he had no idea how to get involved or where he was supposed to be. Baines was constantly looking for him and couldn't find him when he was on the ball.
Dude, he was CONSTANTLY looking for Baines to get moving forward. He's completely gun shy and slow. How many times did he get the ball farther inside, where he is supposed to be playing FYI, he's not a wing, and Baines was just sitting back there.

Dude, he was CONSTANTLY looking for Baines to get moving forward. He's completely gun shy and slow. How many times did he get the ball farther inside, where he is supposed to be playing FYI, he's not a wing, and Baines was just sitting back there.

Baines is definitely playing too deep, that's because he knows his legs have gone.

Gylfi was playing on the left, I get he wants to cut in but he can't spend the whole match there because Baines can't take the ball past players to lay it off inside with them. There was no link up play between them especially when you compare that to Davies and Martina.

Baines is definitely playing too deep, that's because he knows his legs have gone.

Gylfi was playing on the left, I get he wants to cut in but he can't spend the whole match there because Baines can't take the ball past players to lay it off inside with them. There was no link up play between them especially when you compare that to Davies and Martina.
I can't argue with that. I know he's not fast, but man, get up there, man. We are down, not up. We were playing pretty narrow so yeah, he was on the left, but he was pretty central. To me, that's a good position for him and often where he played with Swans. But the wing backs HAVE to get outside the two ACMs. Martina actually did already getting outside and gave Rooney and wide alternatives. Baines did not.

That being said, Leighton did defend fairly well out there, though. But at least Siggy wasn't turning the thing over. If there isn't much in the way of opportunity, at least he wasn't stupidly forcing it like a few others. Gotta take chances to score goals, but look at the horrible turnovers in our own end. That's not Siggy's fault.

Like Tottenham.

I love how everyone is suggesting there were all these other alternatives better, yet never has anyone - maybe one person - offered anyone remotely comparable. The dude is class - already showed it with a wonder goal against Split that saved our collective tails getting us into the Europa group stage. There's plenty more magic from Siggy, just need to give him time.

It isn't about finding someone comparable though. I'd rather have someone totally different. Someone whose stats aren't massively inflated by set pieces. Or how about someone with pace, a proper winger. He just does not have the influence from open play we need. Unfortunately for him he came in after we'd already signed Klaasen and Rooney and Koeman doesn't know how to use them all. Right now he's being shoehorned in because he cost £45 million. This signing appears to have been made with no proper plan for how to utilise him properly and how to use him in combination with all the others.

Of course in an ideal world, we'd have Bolasie available/signed an actual winger. I know it's not Sigurddson's fault we don't have these things. And I know it's not his fault we don't have this elusive "target man" we so desperately apparently need to get the best out of him. But not getting that striker has a big impact on him as well. Who exactly is he supposed to be aiming for when he looks up? Again, not his fault, but when you combine all these things you're left with a club record signing not doing very much.

He's a good player, I don't think people dispute that. But he's not the player we need right now. I don't care about whether the board let Koeman down on a striker or not. We always knew Lukaku was leaving. Not properly replacing him and subsequently spending £45 million on Gylfi whilst somehow leaving what should have been the priority signing till last is just negligence and ineptitude of the highest order. Again, not his fault. But I don't think a player who, as you say yourself, has been in the EPL for years should look this average if he's as good as you make out.

In regards to alternatives, it's not my job or your job, or anyone else's on this forum (I hope) to come up with alternatives. We're not paid to do that. Unlike Steve Walsh who I'm sure is very well paid to do it. I'll flip the question to you- do you think that for £45 million this is the best we could do? To me it's a very lazy, very easy signing to make.

But my first point is still the same- I don't want someone "comparable" to Gylfi. In similar words to Liam Neeson I want someone with a very different set of specific skills. If we'd have signed a proper striker and a winger, by all means splash £45 million on him. But we didn't do that. We needed to sort other areas out first. "Why couldn't we just do both", I hear people ask. Because we're Everton, not Manchester City. We have finite resources, a finite transfer budget. And when you have finite resources you have to be damn sure you use them as best as you can. We haven't done that.

Needs time to bed in, loads of fans expecting world class performances too soon. By the end of the season he'll be one of, if not our best player.

You watched every game he played for Swans and Iceland? Or are you talking about the couple games he's played for us? Because Wayne Rooney hasn't done jack either, yet I do believe he's scored some goals before.

And the idea that he needs loads of space is even crazier. He's awesome in small spaces.

And the idea that he is AFRAID to try something is laughable. Do you know how many goals that guy has scored and how many assists he's gotten in the EPL?

Come on - you've seen him play 2 or 3 times in a very small window and no one on the team is playing well. Yet suddenly he stinks. That's also why LCFC bid over $40M for him.

'Wayne Rooney hasn't done jack'...I think you'll find that the consensus is that Rooney has been our best outfield player by far this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back