Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
No mate. No one is excusing Sigurdsson's performances, and nowhere have I done that, however a lot of people will make every excuse under the sun to excuse boyhood bloo Rooney's despite the fact that he's objectively been absolutely crap since August.

There's definitely such thing as Rooney and Sigurdsson fanboys/haters, however most on here are neither. We're just Everton fans that have watched football for a long time and can offer unbiased opinions on senior players' performances, based on what we're seeing rather than their background or reputation.

Fair point, but while they may not be excusing his performances, they are qualifying them by blaming Rooney for them, so swings and roundabouts.

As for watching for a long time, I have been too, and honestly, at this point in time, I have been so underwhelmed by Sigurdsson that I am baffled as to what it is he is supposed to bring to the team. We paid top dollar for him because he knows the league. I have watched him float about doing very little save for 1 once in a lifetime worldie out of nothing, and I'll say it again, it is he, not Rooney, who has been shoehorned into the side with seemingly no plan as to where he should be or what he should be doing.

At this point in time, Rooney offers more, and if it where up to me, I'd be picking Rooney. You and many others would probably pick Sigurdsson.

Unfortunately, Koeman picks the teams, and he likes picking both of them, and sometimes throws Klaassen and Vlasic in to really maximise their lack of effectiveness.

Fair point, but while they may not be excusing his performances, they are qualifying them by blaming Rooney for them, so swings and roundabouts.

As for watching for a long time, I have been too, and honestly, at this point in time, I have been so underwhelmed by Sigurdsson that I am baffled as to what it is he is supposed to bring to the team. We paid top dollar for him because he knows the league. I have watched him float about doing very little save for 1 once in a lifetime worldie out of nothing, and I'll say it again, it is he, not Rooney, who has been shoehorned into the side with seemingly no plan as to where he should be or what he should be doing.

At this point in time, Rooney offers more, and if it where up to me, I'd be picking Rooney. You and many others would probably pick Sigurdsson.

Unfortunately, Koeman picks the teams, and he likes picking both of them, and sometimes throws Klaassen and Vlasic in to really maximise their lack of effectiveness.

I haven't seen Rooney offer us anything at all since August though. Regardless of whether he's playing up front or out wide, he always ends up dropping into the centre circle to pick the ball up, leaving us with a massive chasm of space where he's supposed to be playing, before either knocking it sideways to a midfield crab or pinging a Hollywood ball out of play or to an opposition player. He doesn't create chances because he's never advanced enough to create them, and the rare chances he does get in the box, he whiffs it and miskicks completely (he's done this literally about 7 times this season). Sigurdsson has not yet played in his preferred position, I'd much rather see him at least given a go there instead of sticking with a system that's blatantly not working with Rooney shoehorned in whilst offering nothing anyway. But then this is Koeman we're talking about.

I like both Rooney and Sigurdsson, but neither are very good DM's, which is where they seem to play... along with every other member of the team.

I'm envisaging Sigurdsson and Barkley dovetailing in midfield with Gueye and Schneiderlin behind and DCL and Bolasie and a striker in front.

Tell me I'm mental.

unrelated, but had to do a double take when i saw your profile picture mate ;)

anyways I absolutely agree re: Sigurdsson and think that we've been left looking quite daft for paying 45 million for him. does not fit into the side whatsoever and looks like an incredibly negligent signing as he does little besides clog up our attack.

I haven't seen Rooney offer us anything at all since August though. Regardless of whether he's playing up front or out wide, he always ends up dropping into the centre circle to pick the ball up, leaving us with a massive chasm of space where he's supposed to be playing, before either knocking it sideways to a midfield crab or pinging a Hollywood ball out of play or to an opposition player. He doesn't create chances because he's never advanced enough to create them, and the rare chances he does get in the box, he whiffs it and miskicks completely (he's done this literally about 7 times this season). Sigurdsson has not yet played in his preferred position, I'd much rather see him at least given a go there instead of sticking with a system that's blatantly not working with Rooney shoehorned in whilst offering nothing anyway. But then this is Koeman we're talking about.

Rooney had a good game against Utd when he stayed up top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back