Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some really embarrassing posts here.

The lad has barely been here without a preseason and thrown into a team in disarray, where everyone looks crap and often out of position.

I swear some of you want players to fail - so quick to demand loyalty from players but offer none.

Give your heads a wobble.

I mean, it's totally fair to criticise him given the money and resources we put into signing him.

Disregarded a player we brought through and nurtured in favour of Sigurdsson and put the blinders on as we chased him from May - only signing him in the dying days of the window.

I won't judge him until the team starts functioning. Morgan and others aren't giving him the service and he has very few runners off him.

I mean, it's totally fair to criticise him given the money and resources we put into signing him.

Disregarded a player we brought through and nurtured in favour of Sigurdsson and put the blinders on as we chased him from May - only signing him in the dying days of the window.

That player wants off mate which forced our hands. See that entirely as another issue anyway - we tried for Sigurdsson last season as well (through his own admission), if any player was brought in to increase our numbers behind the striker which we needed last season, it was Rooney/Klassen IMO.

The resource/cost we put into signing him isn't his fault, and it's sound to be critical, but it should be tempered.

Well too early to write him off as many are - some on here want him to fail to say "I told you so" - bonkers.

We'd be all likelihood be out of the Europa League by now without him.

Football also existed before this season, and my opinion is that Sigurdsson is a top player and it's far too early to be as conclusive in writing him off as some are doing here.

Nobody has done well for Everton this season and that's telling.

True but I think what people questioned about him, is what he is. He's not a playmaker who can control a game or be the focus to link attacks. Swansea always had wide players (Routledge, Dyer) and a robust midfield (Shelvey, Britton) with a target man (Bony, Gomis, Lorrente). All his game was to be effective around the box.

He'd be great in a team that had a Ross Barkley. They'd complement well.

But we don't and it shows.

Add the price tag, the expectation, what you get is not the player we really need IMO.

That player wants off mate which forced our hands. See that entirely as another issue anyway - we tried for Sigurdsson last season as well (through his own admission), if any player was brought in to increase our numbers behind the striker which we needed last season, it was Rooney/Klassen IMO.

The resource/cost we put into signing him isn't his fault, and it's sound to be critical, but it should be tempered.

Well too early to write him off as many are - some on here want him to fail to say "I told you so" - bonkers.

I just don't think he's good enough and wasn't the right 'big' signing as we had far more holes to fill than another 10.

Don't want him to fail, never would want an Everton player to fail - well, maybe in some cases - but the fact of the matter is, he's not getting it done. And it's not like we're 5 or 6 games in now or he's adapting to a new league ala Klaassen, he's played over here for years and he's made 10 appearances for us already.

Whether the team is performing or not, you'd expect a lot more for a player that cost the best part of 50 million - regardless of how the transfer market has gone and all that jazz. As stated previously, he had 23 touches - one was a corner and two/three were free-kicks, yesterday in 90 minutes. Away at Brighton, 23 touches.

I just don't think he's good enough and wasn't the right 'big' signing as we had far more holes to fill than another 10.

Don't want him to fail, never would want an Everton player to fail - well, maybe in some cases - but the fact of the matter is, he's not getting it done. And it's not like we're 5 or 6 games in now or he's adapting to a new league ala Klaassen, he's played over here for years and he's made 10 appearances for us already.

Whether the team is performing or not, you'd expect a lot more for a player that cost the best part of 50 million - regardless of how the transfer market has gone and all that jazz. As stated previously, he had 23 touches - one was a corner and two/three were free-kicks, yesterday in 90 minutes. Away at Brighton, 23 touches.

That's the concern, Barkley (even though he has broke my heart) will always go looking for the ball to get something going. We seen it last season, when things weren't going for him up top he was dropping further and further back to get the ball to make things happen. He was looking to influence the game. Something Gylfi has never done.

The lad is very talented.......but when things are going bad, balls aren't going your way I would expect him to grab the game by the scruff the neck and start dictating play

I won't judge him until the team starts functioning. Morgan and others aren't giving him the service and he has very few runners off him.

Not getting service is a terrible shout, given he's supposed to be the one providing it!

He's running away from the ball at the moment instead of demanding it and dictating play. Someone described him as a coward the other day, and I actually agree with that assessment - he's doing everything he can to hide from the game.

He's not a bad player; he's proven that. But he's also proven that he's not a good player in a good team when he was at Spurs. I have a feeling that he's a "big fish in small pond" kind of player, and even at Swansea if you watched him beyond his Match of the Day cameos or even looked closer at his stats then you'd have realised pretty quickly that he was no replacement for Barkley, who was vastly underappreciated for his role as an engine in our team who kept things ticking and moving; something I don't feel Sigurdsson will ever be.

What I see from Sigurdsson now is all I have ever seen from him, I've never noticed him against us before, he's never stood out when we've played against him.

I was hoping with everyone raving about him that he was some kind of world beater, I am sure he probably can play better than he is, like most of them, but I can't see how everythings suddenly going to change with the same player and manager.

HZtSsNd.jpg

That tells you all you need to know. It's the difference between an effective, consistent player in open play who manipulates a game, and one who does not despite being more central to his overall teams game.

That's actually the biggest problem with criticising Sigurdsson - it's very easy to do so and make a like-for-like comparison with Barkley, when the truth is they are completely different players.

We'll only get the best out of Sigurdsson by building an entire side around him. That's why Barkley is comfortably the superior overall player, because he makes everyone around him better, whereas Sigurdsson relies on others to make him better.

HZtSsNd.jpg

That tells you all you need to know. It's the difference between an effective, consistent player in open play who manipulates a game, and one who does not despite being more central to his overall teams game.

That's actually the biggest problem with criticising Sigurdsson - it's very easy to do so and make a like-for-like comparison with Barkley, when the truth is they are completely different players.

We'll only get the best out of Sigurdsson by building an entire side around him. That's why Barkley is comfortably the superior overall player, because he makes everyone around him better, whereas Sigurdsson relies on others to make him better.

One played for Everton, the other Swansea.

Now show it with the total score they give, and throw in goals and assists;

upload_2017-10-16_15-27-17.webp

Stats can be twisted to show whatever you like.

I'm in no doubt Sigurdsson has been considerably more effective for his team for the past 3 years than Ross Barkley has for his.

Ultimately, it really doesn't matter.

Barkley wants to leave Everton, Sigurdsson wants to play for Everton.

I also think Rooney/Klaassen are those who were brought in after Barkley snubbed the contract offer - Koeman envisaged Sigurdsson to the left.

One played for Everton, the other Swansea.

Now show it with goals and assists;

View attachment 41242

Stats can be twisted to show whatever you like.

I'm in no doubt Sigurdsson has been considerably more effective for his team for the past 3 years than Ross Barkley has for his.

All of those stats show that Sigurdsson is a masterful set-piece taker. Nobody denies that - except naturally now that he's joined us he's hitting the first man 9 times out of 10, because Everton that.

All of those stats show that Sigurdsson is a masterful set-piece taker. Nobody denies that - except naturally now that he's joined us he's hitting the first man 9 times out of 10, because Everton that.

Season before last he got 0 assists from free kicks or corners, and only 3 in total.

His free kick God status is based on 1 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back