History

Was generalizing. Basically ment that history is told by winners and often half of real events are not told.
Catching up on this thread, and your contention that history is told by the winners.

Perhaps you could comment on the WW2 aviation works of Jochen Prien, Peter Rodeike, Hans Ring, Gerhard Stemmer, Winfried Bock and Michael Meyer.

And then go on to books written by these guys about their flying career: Adolf Galland; Ulrich Steinhilper; Heinz Knocke, Johannes Steinhoff, Günther Rall.

As for this: '...often half of real events are not told...'
Perhaps you could point out to me all that is missing from books on WW2 aviation by Chris Goss, Andy Saunders, Dr. Alfred Price, Simon Parry.

One might say that I have a slight interest in WW2 aviation...

Catching up on this thread, and your contention that history is told by the winners.

Perhaps you could comment on the WW2 aviation works of Jochen Prien, Peter Rodeike, Hans Ring, Gerhard Stemmer, Winfried Bock and Michael Meyer.

And then go on to books written by these guys about their flying career: Adolf Galland; Ulrich Steinhilper; Heinz Knocke, Johannes Steinhoff, Günther Rall.

As for this: '...often half of real events are not told...'
Perhaps you could point out to me all that is missing from books on WW2 aviation by Chris Goss, Andy Saunders, Dr. Alfred Price, Simon Parry.

One might say that I have a slight interest in WW2 aviation...
Memoirs by Wehrmacht generals (Guderian, Von Manstein etc....) were quite popular and influential after ww2, there was a lot of idolization of Whermacht and their officers even by their opponents.
Basically military failure was blamed on Hitler and every great success on genius of the certain Generals.

Even Churchill himself intervened during trial of Von Manstein putting pressure on judges to reduce his prison term.

So "winners write history" is not always correct, fearsome reputation of Napoleon, Hannibal, German armies of both World Wars and probably many others losers test to that.

Memoirs by Wehrmacht generals (Guderian, Von Manstein etc....) were quite popular and influential after ww2, there was a lot of idolization of Whermacht and their officers even by their opponents.
Basically military failure was blamed on Hitler and every great success on genius of the certain Generals.

Even Churchill himself intervened during trial of Von Manstein putting pressure on judges to reduce his prison term.

So "winners write history" is not always correct, fearsome reputation of Napoleon, Hannibal, German armies of both World Wars and probably many others losers test to that.
That was my point, thank you.

And it is equally true that those born on the side of the victors write about conflicts in a completely objective way. I know that 100%.

There is a phrase that is pertinent to all of this: 'History told from one side, is not history at all'.

Jeez, anyone would think I'm a writer...

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back