History

Catching up on this thread, and your contention that history is told by the winners.

Perhaps you could comment on the WW2 aviation works of Jochen Prien, Peter Rodeike, Hans Ring, Gerhard Stemmer, Winfried Bock and Michael Meyer.

And then go on to books written by these guys about their flying career: Adolf Galland; Ulrich Steinhilper; Heinz Knocke, Johannes Steinhoff, Günther Rall.

As for this: '...often half of real events are not told...'
Perhaps you could point out to me all that is missing from books on WW2 aviation by Chris Goss, Andy Saunders, Dr. Alfred Price, Simon Parry.

One might say that I have a slight interest in WW2 aviation...
TBF I think the point is more that if Germany had won the war, ‘history’ would tell of a great ‘Arian’ victory over ‘lesser’ tribes. This would be because the Nazis would have controlled the narrative, their atrocities would have been glossed over and those of Allied forces would have been amplified. It would not change the actual history and different narratives would emerge but the balance of the stories would be skewed differently.

TBF I think the point is more that if Germany had won the war, ‘history’ would tell of a great ‘Arian’ victory over ‘lesser’ tribes. This would be because the Nazis would have controlled the narrative, their atrocities would have been glossed over and those of Allied forces would have been amplified. It would not change the actual history and different narratives would emerge but the balance of the stories would be skewed differently.
I'm not disputing that. I was countering the point made that 'history is written by the winners', when it is patently not the case, and I have quoted many German researchers and writers.

I'm not disputing that. I was countering the point made that 'history is written by the winners', when it is patently not the case, and I have quoted many German researchers and writers.
I understand your point that those on the losing side have written books on the history from their perspective. I think the sentiment behind the phrase is more philosophical than factual though. Even those accounts you refer to May have had a different tone had they been on the ‘winning’ side. Although I would suggest their no ‘winners’ in war.

Betty Fabio was the stunt double of Margaret Hamilton, the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz.

img

I want a drink of flip and shrub please. From 1797, praising the wonderful virtues of water versus the evils of alcohol, and your inevitable demise

f831054346b7c9e3.png

What a tosser! Karma caught up with him in the end though. When moving pictures/movies first came out, he tried to monopolize the whole industry, even to the point of hiring thugs to go and beat up his competitors...

I seem to recall that the US passed laws constraining monopolies, cba finding out when though. :)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back