History

I'm down in the south of Oman for a few days so paid a visit to Mirbat.

Military nerds will be aware of the battle of Mirbat in 1972 when a handful of SAS loaned to the Sultan of Oman held off 2-300 communist insurgents intent on overthrowing the ruler in the north and therfore eventually controlling the straits of hormuz. Safe to say the world would be a different place today had they succeeded. If you enter "battle of mirbat" into YouTube a few documentaries pop up.

The photo below is taken from the old castle which housed a garisson of Omanis, through the window on the low hill is the old fort where the 25 pounder gun was placed. (just this side of the fort as we look.) the BATT (British army training team) house is off to the right, about 300 meters away from the old fort. It's quite incredible that people were legging between the 3 buildings under fire from hundreds of angry mountain men intent on overthrowing the government.

Screenshot_20230612_223106.jpg

Last edited:
I'm down in the south of Oman for a few days so paid a visit to Mirbat.

Military nerds will be aware of the battle of Mirbat in 1972 when a handful of SAS loaned to the Sultan of Oman held off 2-300 communist insurgents intent on overthrowing the ruler in the north and therfore eventually controlling the straits of hormuz. Safe to say the world would be a different place today had they succeeded. If you enter "battle of mirbat" into YouTube a few documentaries pop up.

The photo below is taken from the old castle which housed a garisson of Omanis, through the window on the low hill is the old fort where the 25 pounder gun was placed. (just this side of the fort as we look.) the BATT (British army training team) house is off to the right, about 300 meters away from the old fort. It's quite incredible that people were legging between the 3 buildings under fire from hundreds of angry mountain men intent on overthrowing the government.

View attachment 213615
At the fag end of British rule in Arabia in the late 60s I seem to recall a British army officer who went by the appellation - Mad .... For the life of me I can't remember his name, nor the country, perhaps Aden or Oman. Maybe I'm dreaming, just thought I'd mention it.

At the fag end of British rule in Arabia in the late 60s I seem to recall a British army officer who went by the appellation - Mad .... For the life of me I can't remember his name, nor the country, perhaps Aden or Oman. Maybe I'm dreaming, just thought I'd mention it.
Aden is in Yemen which is only about 50 miles away from here (but Aden is on the other side)

I think quite a few officers went by 'Mad' something or other. Mad Mike Hoare probably the most famous/notorious.

Does anyone know if there’s any truth to the myth that the reason there was so much butt stuff in Ancient Greece, was because they believed that a man’s knowledge was stored in his semen… And the only way to transfer that knowledge from one Greek man to another was… Well… You know… To play hide the pickles with each other? 🤔

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back