Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

How stupid are Manu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think united right now are just amazing me really.

You look at that team and amazingly they have a young spine that could carry them to great places. Lingaard/Pogba/Martial/Depay/Shaw/Bailly/De Gea all to name a few would walk into most teams line ups. And then they keep hiring managers who are the absolute worst to be able to bring them on!

If united had hired a manager in the summer for the future and decided they were going to develop a young team for the long term then they would be much better off. So if they publically took a year out and said we are planning on looking long term then it would have been much better for them i think. Threw money at spurs for Ali perhaps, swap Ibra for another young striker, lukaku even and sell off a few older players this summer and just go from there.

Instead they are building one team and hiring managers who need the other. It makes no sense, they want instant success with a team that won't be ready to do it for a few years. Best thing for them to do is hit reset and forget the ferguson years as a standard but try to get to that level by rebuilding an empire again.
History reveals that rebuilding empires is not a happening thing

Those of us of a certain vintage see history repeating itself big time at Old Trafford.

This is exactly the same as what happened in the years following the retirement of Matt Busby.

yep; not quite a revolving door. Sometimes they had 'decent' managers and average players. Sometimes they had 'decent' players with an average manager.
Eventually they got lucky after much cash spent for not much reward.
I wonder how they would've gone if The Doc hadn't played away.

yep; not quite a revolving door. Sometimes they had 'decent' managers and average players. Sometimes they had 'decent' players with an average manager.
Eventually they got lucky after much cash spent for not much reward.
I wonder how they would've gone if The Doc hadn't played away.

That team the Doc had in '77.......that is my favourite ever non Everton team.

Stuart, Pearson, Sammy McIlroy, Jimmy Greenhoff, Martin Buchan, Steve Coppell, Lou Macari, little Gordon Hill.....a greart team to watch.

Especially the day they took revenge for us at Wembley......:dance:

Those of us of a certain vintage see history repeating itself big time at Old Trafford.

This is exactly the same as what happened in the years following the retirement of Matt Busby.

I don't think it's too relevant though, there wasn't as much of a disparity between United and the other teams in terms of resources and finances as there is now. United will get back on their feet. I feel their problems aren't just team and management though, Woodward has looked completely out of his depth. His presence has coincided with a notable transormation into a commercial entity rather than a successful football team

Stuart, Pearson, Sammy McIlroy, Jimmy Greenhoff, Martin Buchan, Steve Coppell, Lou Macari, little Gordon Hill.....a greart team to watch.

Never in my life have I wanted a team that wasn't us to win the cup so badly. Also got Gordon Hill and Alex Stepney's autographs at that horrible semi-final.

Remember then caning us 6-2 at Goodison Boxing Day 1977 !!

You betcha :mad:

We were flying at the time....unbeaten since losing our opening two games in the August and were a point or two behind league leaders and eventual champions Forest with a visit to the City ground coming up.

Another great chance to win the league gone, a couple years after blowing it in '75 :(

We were flying at the time....unbeaten since losing our opening two games in the August and were a point or two behind league leaders and eventual champions Forest with a visit to the City ground coming up.

Another great chance to win the league gone, a couple years after blowing it in '75 :(

Got done at Elland Road the day after, 27.12.77.

@Brendan Janus
Don't mention that 2-6 game, it still hurts.

I was living in Stretford at the time and rode to GP on my motorbike getting thoroughly soaked in the process... sat in the Upper Park End watching Macari have a field day against us (always hated him, but have a funny story to tell about how I got him back if ever you're interested) and then had to go back to the in-laws for Boxing Day tea... and they were all Reds... good food, but horrible afternoon and evening :(

Gerry Daly was a nice fella from that team, he lived about 200 yards from OT in a flat on Warwick Road, shared it with Paddy Roche for a while.

I don't think it's too relevant though, there wasn't as much of a disparity between United and the other teams in terms of resources and finances as there is now. United will get back on their feet. I feel their problems aren't just team and management though, Woodward has looked completely out of his depth. His presence has coincided with a notable transormation into a commercial entity rather than a successful football team

Relevant enough though, Prev.

It is all a matter of context.

They were still the most glamorous team in England back then and had more clout in the market than anyone else.

In fact, if owt, they are worse off now as they are no longer the most glamourous team in the country and City and Chelsea are more than their equal when it comes to financial muscle.

That decline post Busby culminated in their relegation in 1974.

They will not be relegated again as such......but the modern day equivalent of "relegation" for them has already happened, as they have been "relegated" from the Champions League.

But the fundamentals post Busby and post Ferguson are the same.

Huge shadow cast by their former, iconic managers.

Successors struggling to break out of it.

League form dipping.

Fans angry and in denial of contemporary status.

Revolving door for managers.

Chopping and changing of playing staff.

It is 1969 revisited in a 21st century setting :dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back