Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

How stupid are Manu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love it too mate. Folk are getting restless because we're up in 3rd after laughing at us all of last season and the beginning of this - and rightly so, we were dire! But we were never going to stuck down in midtable for long - as I always say, sadly, money talks in football now. And Fergie didn't build an empire for 20+ years to see it all crash down - he made sure that our huge stadium and attracting sponsors worldwide would be beneficial in the long term. Financial Fair Play will aid us as well because we can still spend within our means unlike the Lottery Winners Chelsea and City.

Van Gaal has been a breath of fresh air as well. He looks like Beavis (or is it Butthead?) but the guy is class. He makes people sit up and listen to him - Moyes had me wanting to throw the remote at the tv everytime he opened his depressing gob.

I can't believe we've been getting results WITHOUT Rafael, Di Maria, Blind, Shaw, Rojo and Herrera too. We've been using Young at Left Back for a lot of the season! And he's been very good, as has Fellaini. Just goes to show what happens when a world class manager takes over - he is getting the best out of the 'lesser' players.

Good times are ahead - I really hope we go in for Ron Vlaar in the Jan window, very underrated player.
How do Man Utd fans feel now about the selling Welbeck for 16m to spend that on a year long loan of Falcao? Do you think it likely you will pay the rumoured 44m to buy him at the end of the loan?

Just going by the numbers it looks to have been a poor trade - weirdly Welbeck has been relatively injury free at Arsenal and has been available/played in most matches scoring 4 and assisting 3 plus more in the CL. In comparison falcao has only lasted 90 mins twice and, although that makes his goals/assist ratio per time played better, he still only has 2 goals and 3 assists. That is not much return for the 8m he has cost to date, last year Deulofeu had 2 goals and 1 assist for us by this stage with much less playing time and he was a 19year old winger rather than a striker in his supposed prime.

Of course in typical fashion Falcao broke his goal drought against Everton!

How do Man Utd fans feel now about the selling Welbeck for 16m to spend that on a year long loan of Falcao? Do you think it likely you will pay the rumoured 44m to buy him at the end of the loan?

Just going by the numbers it looks to have been a poor trade - weirdly Welbeck has been relatively injury free at Arsenal and has been available/played in most matches scoring 4 and assisting 3 plus more in the CL. In comparison falcao has only lasted 90 mins twice and, although that makes his goals/assist ratio per time played better, he still only has 2 goals and 3 assists. That is not much return for the 8m he has cost to date, last year Deulofeu had 2 goals and 1 assist for us by this stage with much less playing time and he was a 19year old winger rather than a striker in his supposed prime.

Welbeck wanted first team football and Van Gaal was honest with him and informed him that he wouldn't be starting games at United so we let him further his career at Arsenal.

He's a decent player but he won't get you 15-20 goals a season. I was glad when we sold him, just wish it wasn't to one of our rivals.

Falcao needs a run of games. So far he's won us 4 points which could prove vital in getting CL football again so in the long term, 8 million or whatever it is we've spent on his wages, is small change.

I'd judge both strikers, Welbeck and Falcao, at the end of the season to see what they've achieved and brought to their respective clubs. Time will tell.

Welbeck wanted first team football and Van Gaal was honest with him and informed him that he wouldn't be starting games at United so we let him further his career at Arsenal.

He's a decent player but he won't get you 15-20 goals a season. I was glad when we sold him, just wish it wasn't to one of our rivals.

Falcao needs a run of games. So far he's won us 4 points which could prove vital in getting CL football again so in the long term, 8 million or whatever it is we've spent on his wages, is small change.

I'd judge both strikers, Welbeck and Falcao, at the end of the season to see what they've achieved and brought to their respective clubs. Time will tell.
Fair enough, I suppose as he gets back to match fitness he could start banging them in and if he does it will look a great loan.

Just seemed odd to spend so much to loan a player 6 months out from him doing his ACL, especially it wasn't his first knee injury. Would have thought you could have found someone with better fitness to replace Welbeck, especially since Welbeck has already earned Arsenal more points by his goals than Falcao has gained for you with both teams competing for limited CL spots.

At least so far Falcao has been a better investment than Balotelli ;)

Great RAWK-esque content here
L5dRsjF.jpg
I don't understand the term "RAWK-esque"...Wouldn't you take a player like ADM if you could afford? Find me 10 better midfielder/wingers in the world than ADM.

Yes Falcao has been injured, but when ever he has played his productivity per minuted has been better than Welbeck. Welbeck wanted first team football, and he was never and will never be as good as Rooney/RVP or a fit Falcao. So, it was not a big loss to get rid of an happy and an inferior player.

We also had James Wilson coming up, so we needed to give him some chances as he is more talented than Danny Welbeck. Does Falcao cost a lot of wages? Yes he does. But Falcao is so popular all over the world, we could actually recoup that money very easily with his jersey sales(similar to the case of Angel Di Maria, extremely popular in South America, even toppled Messi to get the best Argentine footballer of the year).

So, over all, we got rid of an unhappy player, we created some room to give chance to a more talented youth player, while we also gave ourselves a chance to have a gamble on some one like Falcao. Even if the gamble doesn't pay, we won't face too much of a loss.

Having said all that, I'd not want to sign Falcao on a permanent deal, I'd rather have someone like Marco Reus to give us more width. Rooney, RVP, James are enough for the striker role, we can call Mata to play there too if needed, but I'd like to bring back Nani, motivate him, and add Marco Reus to our squad. Reus, Nani, Januzaj, ADM will give more than enough flair to our midfield.

What will City, Chelsea and Man Utd be on points total in 5 games time mate?
I'm not really bothered to think about that anymore as we are nailed to be 3rd this season. Sorry, but had we been at 40 pts after 19 games I'd have found it useful to think about the trajectory Man City, Chelsea, United would take for the next 19 games, because then there would be some hope left for us of winning the league. Now, I'll just enjoy each game as it comes.

Yes Falcao has been injured, but when ever he has played his productivity per minuted has been better than Welbeck. Welbeck wanted first team football, and he was never and will never be as good as Rooney/RVP or a fit Falcao. So, it was not a big loss to get rid of an happy and an inferior player.

We also had James Wilson coming up, so we needed to give him some chances as he is more talented than Danny Welbeck. Does Falcao cost a lot of wages? Yes he does. But Falcao is so popular all over the world, we could actually recoup that money very easily with his jersey sales(similar to the case of Angel Di Maria, extremely popular in South America, even toppled Messi to get the best Argentine footballer of the year).

So, over all, we got rid of an unhappy player, we created some room to give chance to a more talented youth player, while we also gave ourselves a chance to have a gamble on some one like Falcao. Even if the gamble doesn't pay, we won't face too much of a loss.

Having said all that, I'd not want to sign Falcao on a permanent deal, I'd rather have someone like Marco Reus to give us more width. Rooney, RVP, James are enough for the striker role, we can call Mata to play there too if needed, but I'd like to bring back Nani, motivate him, and add Marco Reus to our squad. Rues, Nani, Januzaj, ADM will give more than enough flair to our midfield.
We also loaned a striker last season from Monaco for six months who only placed 62 mins due to hamstring injuries but as he got a goal on his debut he had an amazing productivity per minute ratio - still made it a pretty awful loan!

But to be serious, I can understand the decision to sell Wellbeck, was just surprised by the choice of replacement given his injury even if you make up quite a bit of your outlay in shirt sales etc. Would have thought that 16m would have been better spent on a different striker or even a defender (CB or RB) that didn't break down every few games - Chambers for example iirc went for the same price.

Marco Reus would be an excellent buy, much better than making the deal for Falcao permanent imo.

Why not just put them on ignore if they bother you Bizarro?

They can be a touch condecending at times but frankly so can you ;) Personally can look past it in both cases if the topic being dicussed interests me and in general like other clubs supporters posting here.

I shall enjoy vaulting them when they attempt the head patting routine.

Its part of what makes this thread special.

We also loaned a striker last season from Monaco for six months who only placed 62 mins due to hamstring injuries but as he got a goal on his debut he had an amazing productivity per minute ratio - still made it a pretty awful loan!

But to be serious, I can understand the decision to sell Wellbeck, was just surprised by the choice of replacement given his injury even if you make up quite a bit of your outlay in shirt sales etc. Would have thought that 16m would have been better spent on a different striker or even a defender (CB or RB) that didn't break down every few games - Chambers for example iirc went for the same price.

Marco Reus would be an excellent buy, much better than making the deal for Falcao permanent imo.
We have our own youngsters in defense; Paddy Mcnair, Blackett, Michael Keane. Whether they are as talented as Chambers that's up to the future, but we had to give them a chance, otherwise developing them for years isn't worth. Unless we could buy someone like Raphael Varane or Diego Godin, there's no point buying a youngster like Chambers.

I like LVG's approach of "buying proven quality or promote youngsters from the academy". I'm sure if we had as talented a youngster as Luke Shaw in LB position in our academy, we wouldn't have bought him either. Chambers didn't come across as talented as Luke Shaw, so we didn't go for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back