Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

How stupid are Manu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We also loaned a striker last season from Monaco for six months who only placed 62 mins due to hamstring injuries but as he got a goal on his debut he had an amazing productivity per minute ratio - still made it a pretty awful loan!

But to be serious, I can understand the decision to sell Wellbeck, was just surprised by the choice of replacement given his injury even if you make up quite a bit of your outlay in shirt sales etc. Would have thought that 16m would have been better spent on a different striker or even a defender (CB or RB) that didn't break down every few games - Chambers for example iirc went for the same price.

Marco Reus would be an excellent buy, much better than making the deal for Falcao permanent imo.
I can understand your skepticism regarding Falcao, but as I said LVG is a gambler just like Fergie was at times(Catona was a massive gamble), and as it wasn't a permanent deal, I think it's not big a risk.

@LinekersLegs
I'm curious about what Evertonians think about Seamus Coleman joining us. Do you think he is solid enough defensively to play for us? Rafael, for all the ability he has, is never fit enough. But I can't see a more attacking and gifted RB than Seamus Coleman in league. I'm not sure Nathaniel Clyne is as skilled as Seamus. My only doubt is his defensive awareness, how do you rate him defensively?

@LinekersLegs
I'm curious about what Evertonians think about Seamus Coleman joining us. Do you think he is solid enough defensively to play for us? Rafael, for all the ability he has, is never fit enough. But I can't see a more attacking and gifted RB than Seamus Coleman in league. I'm not sure Nathaniel Clyne is as skilled as Seamus. My only doubt is his defensive awareness, how do you rate him defensively?
Hands off our Seamus lad.

It's all about the food chain mate
1361610070-MoyesyLaugh.jpg

But you didn't answer my question, is he defensively reliable? I haven't seen him as much as I see our players, so I'm asking you.

Koff

@LinekersLegs
First I'd echo @Boss_Blue and say hands off our Seamus!

He came on a lot last year imo on the defensive side of his game - he used to be a touch hot headed, although not as much as Rafael, but he's matured quite a bit. Strangely Bolasie seems to cause him more problems than Hazard has, perhaps speed? Seem to remeber Evra having more bad games with a Spurs winger (Lennon?) than he did against wingers typically rated higher. Doubt he'll ever be quite as good as say Ivanovic on the defensive side but when he is on form that is compensated at lot by his attacking output, especially if you have a midfielder who can cover for him when he gets forward.

His hamstring injuries are a touch concerning, not having the partnership of him and McCarthy in many games has been one reason for our poor form this year imo.

Was very surprised given Rafael's injury history you didn't buy a RB in the summer, especially as you don't seem to have any academy players in that position either. That is why I mentioned Chambers tbh, though he might have made a decent stopgap as although he might not be as good as Shaw I would have thought he was better than an out of position Valencia. Your other backups of Jones/Smalling have had quite a lot of their career stunted by being shifted out there and they are just a likely to be in the physioroom as Rafael!

First I'd echo @Boss_Blue and say hands off our Seamus!

He came on a lot last year imo on the defensive side of his game - he used to be a touch hot headed, although not as much as Rafael, but he's matured quite a bit. Strangely Bolasie seems to cause him more problems than Hazard has, perhaps speed? Seem to remeber Evra having more bad games with a Spurs winger (Lennon?) than he did against wingers typically rated higher. Doubt he'll ever be quite as good as say Ivanovic on the defensive side but when he is on form that is compensated at lot by his attacking output, especially if you have a midfielder who can cover for him when he gets forward.

His hamstring injuries are a touch concerning, not having the partnership of him and McCarthy in many games has been one reason for our poor form this year imo.

Was very surprised given Rafael's injury history you didn't buy a RB in the summer, especially as you don't seem to have any academy players in that position either. That is why I mentioned Chambers tbh, though he might have made a decent stopgap as although he might not be as good as Shaw I would have thought he was better than an out of position Valencia. Your other backups of Jones/Smalling have had quite a lot of their career stunted by being shifted out there and they are just a likely to be in the physioroom as Rafael!
Ashley Young and Valencia never really plays as LB and RB, whenever they play we employ 3-5-2 because they are, according to LVG, effectively Wing backs. So, in that sense Valencia is alright there(Young has been brilliant as wing-back, to my utter shock). I don't think defensively Valencia is a problem, problem is with his attacking ability, he offers very little going forward.

I have seen Chambers play as RB, never looked comfortable, and he was easily taken on by Ashley Young and Jefferson Montero in the matches I saw him. I felt playing Chambers at RB is the same as playing Smalling and Jones at RB. LVG has never attempted playing those two at RB. Also, do you think Chambers offers anything great going forward? I never thought so.

For me, any United RB has to be very good when attacking, we have always had that edge. Even Wes Brown, the worst of all, used to provide decent crosses(UCL final 2008, even with his left foot, lol). That's why I'm thinking about someone like Seamus Coleman.

Last edited:
Ashley Young and Valencia never really plays as LB and RB, whenever they play we employ 3-5-2 because they are, according to LVG, effectively Wing backs. So, in that sense Valencia is alright there(Young has been brilliant as wing-back, to my utter shock). I don't think defensively Valencia is a problem, problem is with his attacking ability, he offers very little going forward.

I have seen Chambers play as RB, never looked comfortable, and he was easily taken on by Ashley Young and Jefferson Montero in the matches I saw him. I felt playing Chambers at RB is the same as playing Smalling and Jones at RB. LVG has never attempted playing those two at RB. Also, do you think Chambers offers anything great going forward? I never thought so.

For me, any United RB has to be very good when attacking, we have always had that edge. Even Wes Brown, the worst of all, used to provide decent crosses(UCL final 2008, even with his left foot, lol). That's why I'm thinking about someone like Seamus Coleman.
Fair point on the Chambers looking uncomfotable at RB for Arsenal, don't think their defensive frailties are helping him shine - he looked a lot happier in the same position at S'ton last season. He doesn't seem the greatest so far at going forward although he is still very young, he has got a goal and assist though which is more than Valencia has.

I'm sure someone has cloned Ashley Young, it can't be the same player!

Fair point on the Chambers looking uncomfotable at RB for Arsenal, don't think their defensive frailties are helping him shine - he looked a lot happier in the same position at S'ton last season. He doesn't seem the greatest so far at going forward although he is still very young, he has got a goal and assist though which is more than Valencia has.

I'm sure someone has cloned Ashley Young, it can't be the same player!
Ha ha...LVG is indeed good at making players better and giving them more confidence and making them feel responsible. I wish he could do the same with Nani, or may be Nani was homesick.

@LinekersLegs

#headpattingclub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back