Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he played well today, I didn't think he did much wrong. He pulled off the save of the month pushing Bent's header at the beginning onto the crossbar.

He communicated alot more with his defence. He shouted for balls and made his presence known.

bar the goal I thought he played a blinder.

The state on the pitch was horrendous they're supposed to be a premiership club. - that's the reason for howard's poor distribution I believe it was probably slippy as [Poor language removed] in howard's net.

Last edited:
I thought he played well today, I didn't think he did much wrong. He pulled off the save of the month pushing Bent's header at the beginning onto the crossbar.

He communicated alot more with his defence. He shouted for balls and made his presence known.

bar the goal I thought he played a blinder.

The state on the pitch was horrendous they're supposed to be a premiership club. - that's the reason for howard's poor distribution I believe it was probably slippy as [Poor language removed] in howard's net.

Pretty big error with the goal though wasn't it? Also its not the first time he has made that kind of mistake and its ended in a goal.

Needs to be more commanding.

Pretty big error with the goal though wasn't it? Also its not the first time he has made that kind of mistake and its ended in a goal.

Needs to be more commanding.

Compared to what Rob Green, Paul Robinson, Richard Wright etc. do on a weekly basis then no not really. It was a mistake but the state of that pitch was really bad. I bet he felt like he was sinking into his goalposts so he thought he had to come for the ball. I don't know of any goalkeeper that can brace themselves for a shot on goal on that kind of pitch.

If there wasn't a trench dug out in his 6 yard box then I'd bet he would've stayed on his line. the fact that there was would've made it difficult for him to react to a ball. I think he did the right thing, he just didn't get there quick enough.

Compared to what Rob Green, Paul Robinson, Richard Wright etc. do on a weekly basis then no not really. It was a mistake but the state of that pitch was really bad. I bet he felt like he was sinking into his goalposts so he thought he had to come for the ball. I don't know of any goalkeeper that can brace themselves for a shot on goal on that kind of pitch.

If there wasn't a trench dug out in his 6 yard box then I'd bet he would've stayed on his line. the fact that there was would've made it difficult for him to react to a ball. I think he did the right thing, he just didn't get there quick enough.

Well none of those players are any concern of mine. Howard has concerned me today by not claiming that ball or getting anything on it. He [Poor language removed] up, he made the right decison to come for it, but he has to get there, because you do get punished. Same against Chelsea, he needed to come out and claim the ball.

To be honest nobody is perfect, his only problem is that he doesn't always command as well as he should.

To be fair it does seem to be a modern trend amongst keepers. I can't think of many that are commanding with crosses. Plenty of very good shot stoppers but not many that stand out on crosses.

He looked really solid at the start of the season.

We have given away some very soft goals lately (mostly not his fault), plus the back four changes in front of him a lot

Just a bit of an ebb in his confidence?

Well communication at Arsenal too. Perhaps Yobo should have cleared, perhaps Howard should have said something. Who knows. Who has rank there? Personally I believe the keeper should try and make every ball his when its in his area.

To be fair, yesterday both Cech and vd Sar commited howlers, ony luckily for them they did not cost any goals. If the ball had missed Jags or ricocheted wide this thread would be moot. At this point I'm not concerned with Howard - not as confident in him as I was in Martyn, but I cannot think of any current PL keeper except Cech that would measure up to Nige during his spell with us.

Howard is a sound keeper, I put him in the top three or four in the league. Van Der Sar isnt that good in all honesty, he has a good defence in front of him. Cech is outstanding and David James has been very consistent.

Think any Manure fan wouldn't take Howard back in exchange for VanDerSar?

I really haven't seen great GK in the prem all year. Cech hasn't been the same since they pulled Steven's Hunt knee out of his skull. Howard is still one of the 5 best keepers in the prem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back