Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Ideal Striker

Status
Not open for further replies.
just googled him now mate. scored one in four across his career. Not a striker though.
more like winger ,secondary striker,Like Griezman from R.Sociedad,just cheeper...reckon we are going to save this season more in order to clear our debts and start some new stadium investments

hoping Lukaku has a miserable world cup so they feel compelled to have him resume his development with us.

THEN

...we eventually buy him for 25 Million.

THEN we eventually sell him for 100 Million two seasons later after we've already won the League twice.

Then I couldn't care less if the world ended :p

i like Hernandez from utd. he must be getting fed up of being down the pecking order, looked their best player when he came on at goodison.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Failing that, wouldn't mind Romelu on loan for another season (if we can't buy him) and a punt on someone like Finnbogason (Dutch league is gash but if he was available at a reasonable price it could be low risk, high reward), Paloschi from Chievo or Adrian Ramos from Hertha (though I heard he was on Dortmund's radar). Batshuayi looks a top prospect too.

Also no to Remy, he's a bad, bad egg and not the kind of person I want to see play for us. Don't know why people think Bony would be available for any kind of fee that would constitute value?

Hernandez would be great.

Bony
Lukaku
Remy
Hernandez

If we could get any of the above in id be happy with that for a "main" striker.

I think realistically they are all potential signings.

I watch quite a bit of European football as well as British and the list I would choose 2 strikers from is -
Lukaku, Bony, Hernandez, Ba, Remy, Finnbogason, Pelle, Castaignos, Gameiro, Vela, Soriano, Vossen.
Personally I would go for Bony and either Vossen or Hernandez.
I would be happy as long as we got any 2 though!

Bony is ace, but I just think they'd want £20m+ and I don't think that'd be wise. Demba Ba for a decent price would be a good signing though.

Hernandez woudn't suit our formation in my opinion. Pelle is decent but I'm not sure how he'd be in a good league. I'm only for signing players from gash leagues if they're young, but Pelle's what? 28? Castaignos by my own logic would be interesting.

I thought Vela was more of a wide player? Also I've heard Arsenal have a buy back clause.

Gameiro has had a very good season in a tougher league than Ligue 1, in which he was a bit meh, but would he be affordable?

I don't know why Vossen hasn't been plucked from the Belgian league and considering he's no longer a young prospect, that worries me. He scores healthy amounts in the Pro league but you'd think he'd have been transferred already if the scouts thought much of him?

I know nothing of Soriano so I can't comment.

Dimitar Berbatov aka the Poor man's Zlatan.

Fantastic first touch, good ball control, passes well and holds the ball up well. We don't need a work-horse, under Martinez we have plenty of service into the box, Lukaku is (was) fantastic for us but I can't count the amount of times I saw him simply watch crosses go by, or received the ball with his back to goal and wasn't able to finish it. Berbatov would put more of those chances away, and would be as good if not better in terms of passing and buildup play. What we would lose in terms of Lukaku's effort we would gain in goals, in my opinion.

He would never come here and I'm sure he's happy to sip cocktails on the beach in Monoco and collect more per day than I will make all year, but the thread asked for an Ideal, not an actual target :)

Ideally we need 2 strikers as well as Traore on loan which, due to the circumstances involving him staying with us injured for half a season, seems a given for next season.

Personally i'd go for Danny Welbeck or Demba Ba as the main target, and then Charlie Austin should QPR not go up as a different option to Traore on the bench depending on the game/opposition.

I do understand why people want us to sp*nk all our financial load on a striker who guarantees 15 PL goals +. I just think that the likes of Welbeck/Ba/Remy would cost far less than Lukaku as well as leaving us with change to enhance the squad further. We do need around 7/8 players this summer, and whilst it is likely Roberto will fill all 4 loan spots, a transfer kitty of around £25million isnt exactly lots if we want to bring in 3 or 4 players who can add more than just numbers to the team.

Ba and Austin for me, and I reckon we would get them both for under £15million for the pair.

Having read the previous posts, here are my thoughts on some of the names mentioned plus some I think would/could be considered.

Transfers that are not going to happen:

1. Edin Dzeko - a great striker, good in the air, good finisher, etc., but does anyone think the Bosnian international would leave a recently-crowned EPL champions, where he is an important figure in the squad, where his wages are probably ~£7-9m a year and the team itself targets a 2014/15 UCL final, for a team that would be reluctant to pay him 1/2 of his current salary, and battling to even get to UCL qualifiers?

2. Josip Drmic - will be a Leverkusen player come July 1.

3. Adrian Ramos - will be a Dortmund player come July 1.

Transfers unlikely to happen because of other reasons:

4. Ciro Immobile - probably Dortmund- or Atletico-bound and doesn't seem to want to shift Europa League in Turin for Europa League in Merseyside, after quite a terrific season he's had.

5. Danny Ings:
a)
after a great season, Burnley might be reluctant to sell their star-player for less than say £15m;
b) may turn out to be a one-season wonder;
c) will play Premier League football anyway (Burnley got promoted);
d) not exactly your typical "9", more like a Rooney-type player (a "10" deployed behind the main striker).

6. Ross McCormack / 7. Jordan Rhodes - they may both have scored 20+ goals during the 2013/14 Championship season but EPL is of different quality; I seriously doubt they would have such a nice goals-tally in EPL as they might not even go into double-digit figures; besides not Martinez-type forwards.

Transfers that might be considered - but shouldn't and bear a lot of risk:

8. Mame Biram Diouf:
+
has had some European experience with Hannover 96 (11 matches, 7 goals);
+ would probably guarantee a goal every other game;
+ free agent come July 1;
- (a big one) unfortunately a Senegalese striker is injury-prone and we don't want the Gibson-scenario to be repeated.

9. Pierre-Michel Lassoga - the same as Diouf; it would be a great gamble to try and get him as - although the German is a a great finisher and very strong - he's also injury-prone and - as someone has already noticed - quite slow which doesn't suit the counter-attacking style Roberto might want to apply.

10. Christian Benteke - seemed like a steal for Aston Villa at the end of 2012/13 campaign during which he scored an amazing 19 goals in 34 apps for a lowly Birmingham side, but now - after an injury-blighted season and the player himself sidelined until at least November, I guess no-one (me included) would seriously think about getting him.

Transfers likely to happen / the ones we've been strongly linked to / the ones that should be considered:

11. Wilfried Bony - the Ivorian has had a terrific 2013/14 campaign having scored as much as 25 goals in 48 apps for the Swans which is a great output for a debut season for a mid-table team; no use listing all his qualities, so I'll skip that part as everybody here is probably familiar with him. Garry Monk has lately said that only huge offers will be taken into consideration, but I truly doubt the Swans would be able to resist selling him if Billy put ~£20m on the table.

12. Loic Remy - seems to be a mercenary (who else signs for QPR?), but has proven to be a quality in the Premier League and I think that if Roberto worked on him a bit, he would definitely be able to bag 15+ goals a season. However, he said he want UCL-football and Everton are not a UCL-side (for now), so that may be a put-off. If QPR got back to EPL, it might complicate things a little, so everybody - let's hope Derby get to play EPL-football next year. As a last resort, if we failed to land any other striker, we might loan him.

13. Romelu Lukaku - another loan is a win-win solution for all the parties, but that would be postponing the inevitable which is to purchase a striker on a permanent basis. In my opinion, we should either get him permanently (but definitely not for more than ~£20m) or thank each other for a good season, say goodbye and consider other options.

14. Danny Welbeck - there are a lot of the "English" footballer's critics, but I for one think he could be a success at Goodison. Just compare the 2012/13 and 2013/14 campaigns of Barry, Osman, Naismith, Coleman, Barkley, Stones and you'll see that Martinez can really get the best out of players most people would think are destined to continue being average at best. He's pacy, strong, can pass and could also be deployed on the wing. If United agree to sell him for ~£10-12m, I would get him and wouldn't hesitate for a while.

15. Stevan Jovetić - flourished during the 2012/13 season at Roma, but at City can't seem to find regular game-time. If Martinez decides there are other areas that need more reinforcements, then I guess the Montegrin would be a good loan-signing.

16. Michy Batshuayi / 17. Alfred Finnbogason - the latter seems to be not-the-fastest and also scores a lot of penalties so not as impressive of a goal-tally when you consider that fact. The Belgian on the other hand is only 20 so could actually be a low risk/high profit purchase, scores a lot of goals and none from the spot, but isn't level-headed at all and if we decided to sign the Belgian, we might as well end up having someone in the mould of Mario Balotelli - very talented but causing a lot of problems. And besides, when it comes to English clubs buying players from Belgian or Dutch leagues - every striker has 50% chance to become another Benteke/Bony and enjoy a seamless transition between those leagues, but there is also a 50% chance they will end up like Afonso Alves - from hero to a zero in a year. So I'd be careful with those two.

That's my say and thanks to those who read everything I've just written:) COYB!

After seeing Lukaku slot like an absolute boss again tonight I'm utterly convinced there is no hope of getting him.

I'm honestly out of ideas on who we will/could get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back