Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say he was a clone... I said it'd be stupid to say we'd be signing a clone of Carvalho to replace Carvalho. If Carvalho is off the table, we'd look at other options, even if they were not a like-for-like.

Gueye is more like McCarthy than Barry/Carvalho, but that doesn't mean he's not being brought in instead of Carvalho.

and it doesnt mean he is either mate, so why lose your head over it?

Isn't there just a chance he is being brought in to give us depth?

Or maybe, if he signs, he'll be one of four or five to do so and will be the cheapest.
Obviously it's best to get your fume in early though !

Genuine question - do you think any player with ambition would see this signing as anything other than underwhelming?

They have brains after all. If they want to win things, they won't be joining a club signing Idrissa Gueye.

That's the issue - it's the timing of it. If Gueye joins next week after we grab Mata/Witsel etc., then fine. But this isn't putting our best foot forward is it?

Just had a look on a villa forum to see their opinion of him. They don't sound to bothered about him. Quotes that stood out to me were '£7.1 million? SELL SELL SELL!' and 'he didn't exactly set the world alight.'

Is it wrong that this sounds slightly underwhelming since we've been linked with the likes of Mata, Nasri & Witsel?

Genuine question - do you think any player with ambition would see this signing as anything other than underwhelming?

They have brains after all. If they want to win things, they won't be joining a club signing Idrissa Gueye.

That's the issue - it's the timing of it. If Gueye joins next week after we grab Mata/Witsel etc., then fine. But this isn't putting our best foot forward is it?

Was thinking exact same.

The way I see it , hiring Walsh as dof means that sometimes we will sign players who won't be expensive or exciting but turn out to be great buys. Some will flop but some will be great and really fit into a role

So personal my I'm not going to judge a single player we sign until we see them actually playing in a blue shirt . If we sign this fella then great, I imagine he can do something that our people in charge see would be good for the team. Price is low and if he fails then least we didn't take a gamble on him.

and it doesnt mean he is either mate, so why lose your head over it?

Isn't there just a chance he is being brought in to give us depth?

Because if we believe Moshiri and we actually mean to compete, then this signing would send a horrible message to those who we need to attract so we can actually compete.

As said, I actually rate Gueye a bit - B-tier player but good for the squad, adds depth, an engine and a reliability well beyond the likes of Gibson etc. - but this should be the "fill the gaps" type of signing in mid to late August after we've roped in the big guns.

I think few would complain if this guy was purchased from Lille. It's the Aston Villa of it all that seems to make you all crazy. Why have we brought in a DoF who specializes in finding talent if not to find and recruit talent?

Were we not in for him when he was at Lille?

Massively massively underwhelming if true, like expecting some fit bird from Brazil on a date and ending up with Alan Brazil.

Oh behave, the timing of signings isn't something that's very controllable. If we sign this lad, other players aren't going to look at it in judging whether or not come here. We've finished 11th in the last two seasons, the main reason big signings will be made is if we offer them enough money to come here.

I think few would complain if this guy was purchased from Lille. It's the Aston Villa of it all that seems to make you all crazy. Why have we brought in a DoF who specializes in finding talent if not to find and recruit talent?

Bring actual talent in first, then Moneyball the £5-10m punts with the leftovers, many of which will come available when the Everton project is defined by the big signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back