Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
GOT would go into full meltdown, with servers overheating and network links melting.
It would be superb.

Its already superb, top, top class popcorn from the club this Summer so far :

First they let Koeman go on a tour of Europe before signing him
We re-sign Gibson, utterly, utterly superb
We get the boy Stickleback in
We get linked to Mata, Carvalho, Wistel, Milik
Then we sign by all accounts some utter carthorse from Villa

BANTER

Oh behave, the timing of signings isn't something that's very controllable. If we sign this lad, other players aren't going to look at it in judging whether or not come here. We've finished 11th in the last two seasons, the main reason big signings will be made is if we offer them enough money to come here.

So you're saying if a club signed Aiden McGeady now, you - as a top footballer - wouldn't have a second thought about joining the same club?

Because if I were a top footballer, I'd like to maximise my chance of winning things. Everton already have a reputation of being also-rans; lumping on top of that rep with Idrissa Gueye, the very definition of a mid-table punt, isn't the way to improve things.

If I were Witsel or Carvalho, I'd be looking elsewhere if this happened. That isn't my head falling off - that's just common sense.

Its already superb, top, top class popcorn from the club this Summer so far :

First they let Koeman go on a tour of Europe before signing him
We re-sign Gibson, utterly, utterly superb
We get the boy Stickleback in
We get linked to Mata, Carvalho, Wistel, Milik
Then we sign by all accounts some utter carthorse from Villa

BANTER

You wait till the new stadium in Birkenhead is announced

*taps nose

Not being funny but using the term moneyball makes you sound badly kopite.

Just sayin

I was considering putting it in quotation marks, as I hate the term. It's stupid and doesn't work. In a non-crap world, it'd just be called "bargain hunting" or something.

So you're saying if a club signed Aiden McGeady now, you - as a top footballer - wouldn't have a second thought about joining the same club?

Because if I were a top footballer, I'd like to maximise my chance of winning things. Everton already have a reputation of being also-rans; lumping on top of that rep with Idrissa Gueye, the very definition of a mid-table punt, isn't the way to improve things.

If I were Witsel or Carvalho, I'd be looking elsewhere if this happened. That isn't my head falling off - that's just common sense.

Here's some superglue, you may well need it.

From a Villa forum

"Couldn't care less about him going, lazy player who always looks like a yellow card waiting to happen when things don't go his way on the pitch. Would genuinely rather see someone like Gary Gardner in his place playing for the shirt week in, week out. Hopefully the £7m can be put to some use immediately to strengthen other areas of the squad."

"Bang average, with no discernible feature other than apparently descent stats which frankly never transposed to meaningful or effective performances.

As already pointed out, may do better in a better side, but he is no Delph. No drive, thrust or shot.

I am concerned at relying on youngsters though, it will be a very inconsistent season with a midfield of kids, these are no Man Utd wonder kids."

"If I was a Everton gpfan I'd be abit pussed off. Reports of 100m to spend yet they want Gana for 7m. Won't get you in top 5 that's for sure evertonians. Average player at best."

Genuine question - do you think any player with ambition would see this signing as anything other than underwhelming?

They have brains after all. If they want to win things, they won't be joining a club signing Idrissa Gueye.

That's the issue - it's the timing of it. If Gueye joins next week after we grab Mata/Witsel etc., then fine. But this isn't putting our best foot forward is it?

I think what we've done so far (not signing anyone) shows much less ambition.

From a Villa forum

"Couldn't care less about him going, lazy player who always looks like a yellow card waiting to happen when things don't go his way on the pitch. Would genuinely rather see someone like Gary Gardner in his place playing for the shirt week in, week out. Hopefully the £7m can be put to some use immediately to strengthen other areas of the squad."

"Bang average, with no discernible feature other than apparently descent stats which frankly never transposed to meaningful or effective performances.

As already pointed out, may do better in a better side, but he is no Delph. No drive, thrust or shot.

I am concerned at relying on youngsters though, it will be a very inconsistent season with a midfield of kids, these are no Man Utd wonder kids."

"If I was a Everton gpfan I'd be abit pussed off. Reports of 100m to spend yet they want Gana for 7m. Won't get you in top 5 that's for sure evertonians. Average player at best."

Bold bit would be my impression too, but with the caveat that I think he could look OK in a better overall team.

"OK" being the key word. I'm not against him signing, as £7m is the new £2m really. But make it next week after we get the real signings in.

Surely at £7.2 million in the current market which is appreciating all the time.

we can buy him & either he becomes first choice or we'll sell at a small profit after 12 months/18 months.

This scenario has been forecast by esk.

I'd suggest looking for a few more of these types with below market buyout clauses to fill the squad for a season or 2 then move on a profit & then introduce a youngster in there place.

He won't be on extortionate wages either

Surely at £7.2 million in the current market which is appreciating all the time.

we can buy him & either he becomes first choice or we'll sell at a small profit after 12 months/18 months.

This scenario has been forecast by esk.

I'd suggest looking for a few more of these types with below market buyout clauses to fill the squad for a season or 2 then move on a profit & then introduce a youngster in there place.

He won't be on extortionate wages either

NO

WE CANT DO THIS, WE MUST ONLY SIGN STATEMENT PLAYERS OR NO PLAYERS WILL SIGN COS WE DIDNT MAKE A STATEMENT, ONLY TEAMS THAT MAKE A STATEMENT CAN SIGN STATEMENT PLAYERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back