Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nowhere near as good as Wanyama I'm afraid !

Got a couple of mates who are Villa season ticket holders, & they reckon he's useless !!

most of the Villa fans I know/follow were saying last season he was their best player.

From what I saw he looked half-decent but we do need better. Would be fine with this signing though as long as another midfielder came in alongside him. FWIW though he's no improvement on what we have, IMO. In fact, I'd say he's very similar to McCarthy but McCarthy actually offers more.

Only press rumours are saying that we're in for him though...

When have we ever come away from one of Martinez's standard defeats and proclaimed how good a single player was in spite of the rest of them being garbage? Now multiply that by 38, and you can imagine the summary from Villa fans would be markedly different from a) a neutral and b) what the stats say.

It isn't Mata, Witsel, or any other number of big names, but we all seemed pretty happy that we got Walsh on board, and this screams Walsh to me, ergo I'm fine with it. Doesn't mean I'm not slightly underwhelmed, but I'm certainly not unhappy about him signing.

When have we ever come away from one of Martinez's standard defeats and proclaimed how good a single player was in spite of the rest of them being garbage? Now multiply that by 38, and you can imagine the summary from Villa fans would be markedly different from a) a neutral and b) what the stats say.

It isn't Mata, Witsel, or any other number of big names, but we all seemed pretty happy that we got Walsh on board, and this screams Walsh to me, ergo I'm fine with it. Doesn't mean I'm not slightly underwhelmed, but I'm certainly not unhappy about him signing.

If Witsel and Carvalho are signed as well then we will be fined. Wishful thinking. Want big signings myself but we need a squad too so if he comes in as a squad player then it's ok.

Couple of things here.... This lad release clause is 7.2 mill which i think is more than Moyes net spend the whole time he was at Everton. Think about that for a minute. I know that football transfers have gone nuts but this is hardly a signing to rival the underwhelming arrivals of the likes of Claus Thompson or Gareth Farrelly.
I am not one for mountains of stats, i prefer to watch a player with my own eyes, but the stats do make for compelling reading. Cant say that I really have a opinion on him from last year. Villa were so poor that no-one would have looked good playing for them. As others have already alluded to, we have appointed Walsh to make exactly these type of transfers, people we have barely heard of or seen who are going to do a job better than what we already have. Looking at his stats he wipes the floor with McCarthy so why wouldnt we want him? Leicester City won the league last year with what most of us would have desribed before the season started as a bunch of no marks and we have brought in the fella who saw the potential in all of their stars.
I know the forum is a dark place right now because we havent signed anyone and Evertonians by nature always expect the worse to happen but honestly we are going to be ok and if we get this fella in I fully expect him to come good and prove himself to be Claude Makele reincarnate!!

We need a squad though not every signing can be a starter...
Of course mate but in a position where we've already got McCarthy, Barry, Cleverly and Besic? Not to mention we've got the likes of Davis, Walsh and Ledson also there if we have a bad run of injuries or whatever. This is also ignoring the fact that Witsel and/or Carvalho could possibly sign for the club as well.

You cannot tell me we need more squad players to play central midfield. If we are signing him I can't help but presume it's with the intention for him to be a starter and that doesn't sit to well with me.

Of course mate but in a position where we've already got McCarthy, Barry, Cleverly and Besic? Not to mention we've got the likes of Davis, Walsh and Ledson also there if we have a bad run of injuries or whatever. This is also ignoring the fact that Witsel and/or Carvalho could possibly sign for the club as well.

You cannot tell me we need more squad players to play central midfield. If we are signing him I can't help but presume it's with the intention for him to be a starter and that doesn't sit to well with me.
Just because we have them doesn't mean koeman rates them

How about if we are planning to get rid of say three of our current cms and plan on loaning for the season a couple of the academy lads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back