In all seriousness, this derby record: WTF are we going to do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. This derby failure does enormous damage to our reputation. If you cant even win in the local derby then it's not a rivalry, and our rivalry with them has defined both clubs since day one. They can get by on their phoney media driven El Classico with United but we have nothing outside the derby.

The Merseyside Derby is one of the greatest events in world football historically speaking and we need to up our game 100% to get it back there.

Spot on.

Can't see it changing any time soon. Needs to be a shift in mentality from the players, but the manager in charge too.

As far as I can make out a 16 game sequence without a win is a club all time low. Seven years without a win. It's beyond embarrassing. Yes there's been draws and near misses, but it's pathetic. And that game yesterday, scabby penalty or not, we were second best.

If we'd hung on there last night I was confident we could finish them off at GP. We now have the Goodison derby left to try and put this atrocious record in the bin. Each season that goes by without us doing it though is going to make it even more of a monkey to get off our backs.

I cant think of a top-flight city rivalry as lopsided as our derby. They have more resources traditionally and, of course they have the officials weighing in for them, but that doesn't explain this phenomenon. The players just haven't been mentally up to it. That's true. But also our supporters expect it and they transmit that, so a draw is almost seen as our players' pre-derby target.

I'm completely mortified by this seven year record. More should be made of this and pressure heaped on our playing staff that a draw every other game or so is just not acceptable. Liverpool are the low-lying fruit of the PL elite too. It's not like they are untouchable in the last seven years.

As said in the thread title: what is to be done here? How does this run end and what do we need to do?

I think you have summed it up perfectly, the vast majority of our fans haven't got one grain of pride or mentality, that passes on to the players and board, we are an excuse of a club.

Moving on to the boards of the two clubs, they needed to boost their defence and wasted no time getting one in straight away in time for the derby cup game, we on the other hand urgently needed a striker but CHOSE not to bother to get one in in time for THE most important game of the season when we so easily could of done this.

For LFC it's all about the football, for EFC it's all about the money.

Only way it'll change is if Usmanov buys into the club and we do a Chelsea/Man City. Otherwise we are always going to have lesser players with a mentality issue. Like it or not the game was decided by their £75 million signing. We just cant compete and havent since the 80's.

Only way I can see of beating then in the home tie is if we sabotage their catering at their training ground. Give them a minor bout of food poisoning.

If you want the ethical approach then we need to install belief in our squad that they can and should win.

It summed us up when some fans were actually pleased when we lost that League Cup semi to Man City 2 years ago because we already knew we'd be playing Liverpool in the final had we got there and many Blues couldn't face that prospect.

A massive change in mentality is needed throughout the club when it comes to them.

And they've hardly been vintage Liverpool sides during this 16 game run without a victory against them.

It summed us up when some fans were actually pleased when we lost that League Cup semi to Man City 2 years ago because we already knew we'd be playing Liverpool in the final had we got there and many Blues couldn't face that prospect.

A massive change in mentality is needed throughout the club when it comes to them.

And they've hardly been vintage Liverpool sides during this 16 game run without a victory against them.
Spot on.

I think the tide will turn our way eventually.Hopefully when we see them at Goodison next.We could do with a few Alan Balls in that side.Now there was a man, who lived for beating Liverpool.

They go into these games, expecting to win.

We go into these games, expecting nothing.

Defeated before we get on the pitch sadly.

To be fair to Jags, he had a great game yesterday. But agree with your point in principle, the likes of Baines and Jags by this stage simply must have a mental block when they play the RS. If you think you're going to have a crap day at work, you probably will, as you've already set yourself up for it. Ditto for Baines, Jagielka, and previously Osman et. al. when they glance across to see Gerrard and Carragher alongside them in the tunnel.

When did they get this mental block though considering all 3 of them were in the last Everton team to beat Liverpool?

I think when we do beat them we will go on a good run against them similar to when we got our first win at Spurs in what felt like a lifetime we had a few good results there after that if I remember right

Said it many times before. No matter who they are playing their fans, as ugly, plastic & deluded as many of then are, believe they will win. Barca / Madrid / Bayern - they believe. No surprise they think we are a walk in the park. Unfortunately and probably as a result of some of the bad luck that has come Everton's way on far too may occasions, we generally do not believe that we will win and if we do, we can't quite believe it. They do have an inner belief, probably born of that 70s/80s dominance and recent good luck (umpteen penalty shoot-outs) going their way when it mattered. You can't ignore the financial imbalance in their favour over the last 25 years, but our record should still be better. The club management has to change the mentality and refuse to accept mediocrity.

They go into these games, expecting to win.

We go into these games, expecting nothing.

Defeated before we get on the pitch sadly.

It’s become a case of anything but a hiding is seen as a positive. Hence the bizarre and incredibly OTT praise the draw at Anfield got. Would their fans ever react that way to a point at our ground?

Only way it'll change is if Usmanov buys into the club and we do a Chelsea/Man City. Otherwise we are always going to have lesser players with a mentality issue. Like it or not the game was decided by their £75 million signing. We just cant compete and havent since the 80's.

But this FPP malarkey closes that particular avenue, does it not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back