Interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best of luck mate try not to be too nervous.
I don't get nervous ever.

Also just researched the company (from their address; they were very reluctant to say what it is) - it's apparently a pyramid scheme/scam, so I doubt I'd go seriously. They want me in business attire, but I'll go in jeans and jacket and pisstake as much as I can.

Been to Manc today to do my research for my assessment day/interview on Monday.

Got a telephone interview 1st thing in the morning so please Everton don't be 'So Everton' in the next 2 games & put my mind in a state it really doesn't need to be in at the moment.

Been to Manc today to do my research for my assessment day/interview on Monday.

Got a telephone interview 1st thing in the morning so please Everton don't be 'So Everton' in the next 2 games & put my mind in a state it really doesn't need to be in at the moment.
Just be polite and pleasant and not cocky, you will nail it mate and hopefully have two things to celebrate. Best of luck.

Phew.... Deep Breath.

Haven't a clue how I've done in that phone interview tbh, was all based on Customer Service & managed to give an answer each time so I suppose it's down to if I gave the answers they wanted to hear.

It was my intention to absolutely destroy an all you can eat £3.99 brecky at the Toby Carvery once the interview was done but about 10 to 9 the nerves kicked in and my stomachs still churning, don't reckon I could maximise the potential of scrannin' as many full englishes as possible.

I'll hear something in next 4 weeks apparently i.e. which means if I've progressed to the assessment day involving a lot of tests of which some are quite difficult, all attentions have to go towards my assessment day on Monday now which I'm seeing as 'an easier route' as they have changed the way that they do it and no longer do the timed tests but a structured interview & group exercise based around what I observed & experienced as a customer on 1 of their trains & in the station environment, putting forward suggestions that could improve things for the customer.
Spoke to someone that started last week so he gave me a low down on what the day entails, and he also mentioned that because of the amount of new recruits that they need you aren't particularly competing with the other people there, as there is potentially a job for all that attend should they give the answers that they are wanting to hear & not be Mr I'm Right You're wrong in the group thing whilst also not being Mr Shy that doesn't get involved in the discussion/exercise.

Phew.... Deep Breath.

Haven't a clue how I've done in that phone interview tbh, was all based on Customer Service & managed to give an answer each time so I suppose it's down to if I gave the answers they wanted to hear.

It was my intention to absolutely destroy an all you can eat £3.99 brecky at the Toby Carvery once the interview was done but about 10 to 9 the nerves kicked in and my stomachs still churning, don't reckon I could maximise the potential of scrannin' as many full englishes as possible.

I'll hear something in next 4 weeks apparently i.e. which means if I've progressed to the assessment day involving a lot of tests of which some are quite difficult, all attentions have to go towards my assessment day on Monday now which I'm seeing as 'an easier route' as they have changed the way that they do it and no longer do the timed tests but a structured interview & group exercise based around what I observed & experienced as a customer on 1 of their trains & in the station environment, putting forward suggestions that could improve things for the customer.
Spoke to someone that started last week so he gave me a low down on what the day entails, and he also mentioned that because of the amount of new recruits that they need you aren't particularly competing with the other people there, as there is potentially a job for all that attend should they give the answers that they are wanting to hear & not be Mr I'm Right You're wrong in the group thing whilst also not being Mr Shy that doesn't get involved in the discussion/exercise.

So you possibly will have two assesment days? Four weeks is a bit long to wait, don't they know how long you've been at this already! :eek:

Seriously tho, GL for Monday, and I hope you get some (good) news in the near future.

So you possibly will have two assesment days? Four weeks is a bit long to wait, don't they know how long you've been at this already! :eek:

Seriously tho, GL for Monday, and I hope you get some (good) news in the near future.

It's an industry that is notoriously slow in the recruitment process apparently.

However Northern seem to be going for broke to get the people in asap, they get over 1000 applicants for each of the positions BUT they'll have an idea how many out of those are potentially suitable in relation to how many are needed, there'll be the same folk applying each time as previously they'd only be taking a couple on each time, with the new franchises starting in April they have a commitment to getting more trains so know how many extra staff they're going to need.
I can't help thinking (& hoping) that given they'll have an idea of how many potentials they have in that pool they are wanting to get them in before another company recruits them because if they fall short on staff then the trains can't run. Transpennine are going to get 44 new trains to increase capacity.. that's 160 - 200 drivers & conductors required before any retirements & promotions etc take that number out of that 'pool' of candidates and all of a sudden Northern are having to look at lowering standards in effect to get the staff. They were in a position 12 months ago where when they were only looking for a couple at a time they had you doing all kinds of tests as a way of whittling the numbers down, changing the way they are recruiting now isnt necessarily meaning they have lowered the standards but that they now need to get these people in & don't need to chop the numbers through unnecessary tests.
I reckon Northern have stolen a bit of a march on the others in their recruitment.

A guy on the way home has just been made into a driver trainer after only driving for 5 years, he said that they've had to do this due to the amount of new drivers they're recruiting & there are quite a few new trainers.. meaning even more drivers required, a lot of conductors have moved 'up' into trainee driver roles which in turn means more conductors needed plus trainers meaning more again. He said it's a good time to be applying with them at the moment.

The majority of us are sceptical & poo-pooing this so called 'Northern Powerhouse' thing but 1 thing that is going to come out of it (& quite quickly) is a far better railway, the franchises that renewed in April have had to commit to improving the Railway right across the board to even bid for the things in the 1st place, as soon as they were awarded new trains were ordered & things set into motion so it is already happening and the thing is getting a long overdue overhaul at what seems to be quite a fast pace. The franchises are for 7 years but a lot of the commitments are set to take place in the 1st 3 years with a large percentage of those within the 1st 12 months.

It's an industry that is notoriously slow in the recruitment process apparently.

However Northern seem to be going for broke to get the people in asap, they get over 1000 applicants for each of the positions BUT they'll have an idea how many out of those are potentially suitable in relation to how many are needed, there'll be the same folk applying each time as previously they'd only be taking a couple on each time, with the new franchises starting in April they have a commitment to getting more trains so know how many extra staff they're going to need.
I can't help thinking (& hoping) that given they'll have an idea of how many potentials they have in that pool they are wanting to get them in before another company recruits them because if they fall short on staff then the trains can't run. Transpennine are going to get 44 new trains to increase capacity.. that's 160 - 200 drivers & conductors required before any retirements & promotions etc take that number out of that 'pool' of candidates and all of a sudden Northern are having to look at lowering standards in effect to get the staff. They were in a position 12 months ago where when they were only looking for a couple at a time they had you doing all kinds of tests as a way of whittling the numbers down, changing the way they are recruiting now isnt necessarily meaning they have lowered the standards but that they now need to get these people in & don't need to chop the numbers through unnecessary tests.
I reckon Northern have stolen a bit of a march on the others in their recruitment.

A guy on the way home has just been made into a driver trainer after only driving for 5 years, he said that they've had to do this due to the amount of new drivers they're recruiting & there are quite a few new trainers.. meaning even more drivers required, a lot of conductors have moved 'up' into trainee driver roles which in turn means more conductors needed plus trainers meaning more again. He said it's a good time to be applying with them at the moment.

The majority of us are sceptical & poo-pooing this so called 'Northern Powerhouse' thing but 1 thing that is going to come out of it (& quite quickly) is a far better railway, the franchises that renewed in April have had to commit to improving the Railway right across the board to even bid for the things in the 1st place, as soon as they were awarded new trains were ordered & things set into motion so it is already happening and the thing is getting a long overdue overhaul at what seems to be quite a fast pace. The franchises are for 7 years but a lot of the commitments are set to take place in the 1st 3 years with a large percentage of those within the 1st 12 months.

Well that certainly puts a positive perspective on it. Good to see that there are plenty jobs being created (in this sector at least). I've never particularly had a problem with public transport really, but anything that improves it can only be a good thing. I would imagine anyone bidding for a franchise wouldn't be planning on getting out after 7 years either, must want a much longer run to get a good return on the initial investments.

Well that certainly puts a positive perspective on it. Good to see that there are plenty jobs being created (in this sector at least). I've never particularly had a problem with public transport really, but anything that improves it can only be a good thing. I would imagine anyone bidding for a franchise wouldn't be planning on getting out after 7 years either, must want a much longer run to get a good return on the initial investments.

Transpennine ran it for previous 10 with a company called Keovis but are running this 1 alone, there's an option to extend for a further 2 years as well apparently.
Northern (previous Northern Rail ran by Serco & Abellio) is now being run by Arriva who are part of Deutsche Bahn and the 2 year extension option is there as well.
In both cases it'll all depend on how theyve delivered their promises during this period really, but they'll also have to compete with others when the franchises are renewed based on what the Department of Transport request for the next franchise period.

Had to interview for a MSc student to come in and give us a hand on the PhD stuff. Nothing too much, and some of the applications were proper dire.

Anyway, one came in and caught onto the fact that I had an Everton keyring at my desk. Turns out he's a Liverpool fan, so he was giving off a fair bit of flack.

Ended up going to him, nice guy. Good application. Too bad he supports them lot.

In Scotland's it's what school did you go to (To determine what religion you are)

Still? Blimey.

Off topic, soz, didnt Raith Rovers win the cup the same year we did? My football manager was a big Raith fan, and we deffo went for a pint in our shirts the next day.

Still? Blimey.

Off topic, soz, didnt Raith Rovers win the cup the same year we did? My football manager was a big Raith fan, and we deffo went for a pint in our shirts the next day.
Yes hence the 1994 as good as it got as a raith fan that and the famous Bayern Munich 0-1raith at half time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back