Is there something wrong with our players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mashtray

Player Valuation: £25m
What baffles me is that sides like Brighton and Palace have been able to completely change their style of play in one season with very little additions.

That's means they have unskilled most of their long term players to play with possession.

This isn't a Rafael rant but our current group of players has never been able to play in possession even when it was drilled into them with previous managers, so we can take charge of a game playing supposed lower standing teams.

What's wrong with them? Yes there has been managers that prefer sitting deep as a philosophy but if we play a fulham or Norwich or Crystal Palace for that matter surely we can't sit deep against these types of sides? We allow them to think they are outplaying us? Possession ultimately leads to pressure

The whole point is to switch to being deep against a man city but turning it on against a burnley but our players seem incapable of holding onto the ball? And if we do, it's like watching paint dry

Sides like Crystal Palace and Brighton add quality players who fit their needs.

Gallagher, Bisouma.

Even though I like him, Allan isn’t what we needed and in a time when every managed realises you need pace we’re stuck with the slowest side ever. It’s simple.
Surely Andre gomes coming from Valencia and then Barca should be able to hold onto the ball?

I understand the pace argument but I expect Allan and Gomes and Delph to hold onto the ball well in possession not get pressured into misplacing a pass?

Surely Andre gomes coming from Valencia and then Barca should be able to hold onto the ball?

I understand the pace argument but I expect Allan and Gomes and Delph to hold onto the ball well in possession not get pressured into misplacing a pass?

Andre Gomes was voted the worst player to ever play for Barcelona by their own supporters.

Came, had a good 6 months and reverted to sort.

You can have slow players in your side but you need to aid them with pace, we have none of that.

We don’t move off the ball (haven’t for years either), don’t want the ball and stand off every side.

I think its a lack of mental toughness. At this level of sport it makes a huge difference and our players really do seem to be either constantly on edge, complete cowards or both.

That's the bit of our recruitment that disappoints me the most over the last few years. Its all very well paying out megabucks for players with certain skills and abilities, but unless you are also looking into whether they are 'winner's with a winning mentality then its a waste of money. Two players stand out the most as expensive failures on that score. Alex Iwobi, by what the other players say about him has al the skills to be a world beater in training but in matches he completely goes to pieces. And then there was James Rodriguez, who truly was a world class player, with world class abilities, but an attitude that absolutely stinks.

You could apply that statement to every part of the club at the moment. It's a symptom of having no clear direction.

We've lurched from manager to manager, each with wildly different styles (not just tactics, but also personality). Each manager has brought their own players in (not just their own signings, but players who signed just because of their previous working relationships with that manager).

We've got a squad of players who are not here for the right reason - to play for Everton.

for as long as i can remember we've kept players on for far, far too long

Coleman now, Howard, Distin, arguably Jagielka

no real threat of replacement breeds complacency,

smart teams are always bringing in players who can maybe challenge for starting spots, even if it doesn't work out the pressure is important

It's been assembled by numerous bad managers with no cohesive style of play.

We have sanctioned deals that have been mind blowingly bad

Sigurdsson, good player was he £45m? Absolutely not also aged 28/29 at the time I think?

Iwobi, blimey, paid £35m for someone who can't get in OUR first team

Tosun, probably a good finisher in there somewhere, never been able to show any kind of form £20m

Klaassen £25m didn't really get a chance but flopped elsewhere also, just a weird signing

That's £125m alone squandered

Then you have nothing of note coming through the academy

Gordon - still waiting

Davies - Yikes

Who sanctioned a loan for our only other LB also?

Status
Not open for further replies.