Is this the season when Shane Duffy breaks through?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Martinez rates him then why not blood him for the rest of 2014. With the cup competitions and the need to be able to change systems at times, i.e 3 at the back and injuries. There should be opportunities to play. If he looks good enough he can offer him a new contract early next year. Martinez, has not come from a background of dealing with world class defenders. He tends to take what he has and makes them comfortable on the ball and good passers. Apart from Stones the other 3 CBs are north of 30, significantly so in Distin's case.

Distin doesn't count he was running down the LW for half the game while doing a great job at CB. I don't think it's too ludicrous to say he could last another 2 years at this level. I hope Duffy stays though it looks like Browning has over taken him in the pecking order though Martinez seems to like him more

done well tonight don't know will he make it, maybe another loan in the championship might work a move to a club that will do well not one like yeoil last season he needs big games and
to be at a club whos at the top in the championship, who knows RM might keep him on board for season 2014- 2015

Said all along he won't become a first team regular for us and I still stand by that.

Think he'll go on and play regulary somewhere but at a slightly lesser level.

Said all along he won't become a first team regular for us and I still stand by that.

Think he'll go on and play regulary somewhere but at a slightly lesser level.

Agree, saw nothing last night to indicate that he'll be a regular for us...pity but he'll still have a good career in football..just can't see that being with us

I feel a bit like the odd one out here. I thought that out of the 3 Center backs playing last night he looked by far the most composed, both defensively and on the ball. Distin was, in my opinion far to ponderous and invited pressure onto the defence. As much as I like stones, he had been a complete liability this preseason. I think Duffy, on the other hand has looked really sharp. He has improved on the ball tremendously since I last saw him and is an absolute beast in the air. I definitely haven't written him off as an everton player yet.

I feel a bit like the odd one out here. I thought that out of the 3 Center backs playing last night he looked by far the most composed, both defensively and on the ball. Distin was, in my opinion far to ponderous and invited pressure onto the defence. As much as I like stones, he had been a complete liability this preseason. I think Duffy, on the other hand has looked really sharp. He has improved on the ball tremendously since I last saw him and is an absolute beast in the air. I definitely haven't written him off as an everton player yet.

But both Distin and stones have already proved what they offer going forward and against quality oppo, so a few dodgy pre-season performances mean very little tbh.

IMO hes been probably hte best performer out of our CB this preseason, dont think hes at the level yet to be playing against the likes of the top 6 and there strikeforces, but hes more than capable against the rest of the prem, certainly a better option than alcaraz

I've only seen the Ossie testimonial and that was a rather drab affair. It's been a weird preseason though and it's hard to judge anyone based on our results. Obviously it's also been hard to judge if Duffy will progress, but looking at how the team rotates (at the middle and the back - but note how Kennedy and Hope were unused yesterday), the likelihood of him getting quite a bit of game time (Alcaraz played 10 games and Stones 26 last season ffs) is high.

If RM plays his cards right he will at least get the chance this fall, and if failing, will leave on the cheap in january. The other option is him leaving before Sept 1st but i don't really see it happening. I think he wants to try to take that shot.

Duffy is an old style CH and will win more defensive headers than any of our other CSs. Given the number of headers we lost out on from corners, free kicks and straightforward crosses last season (and under Moyes) that's not to be sniffed at.

Duffy is an old style CH and will win more defensive headers than any of our other CSs. Given the number of headers we lost out on from corners, free kicks and straightforward crosses last season (and under Moyes) that's not to be sniffed at.

His lack of pace and distribution IS to be sniffed at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back