It Was Fifty Years Ago Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
With that single decision, they cut out the beating heart of the club and started us on the path to mediocrity. (Well, we had 4 good years in the 80's, so ,mustn't grumble, eh?)

My dad used to say we've alway sold our best players. Think he was also referring to selling Lawton and Mercer. Kendall sold Gray but then he sold Linkeker. Then he sold Beardsley. There's been a load more since including Dunc.

My dad used to say we've alway sold our best players. Think he was also referring to selling Lawton and Mercer. Kendall sold Gray but then he sold Linkeker. Then he sold Beardsley. There's been a load more since including Dunc.

Not really unique to Everton though, everybody club except Bayern , Barcelona and Real Madrid have to sell thier better players at one point or another

Failing to cope with selling better players does seem to be a very Everton trait though

View attachment 149074... that Moores and Catterick (pictured) sold Alan Ball (R I P) to the Arsenal.

With that single decision, they cut out the beating heart of the club and started us on the path to mediocrity. (Well, we had 4 good years in the 80's, so ,mustn't grumble, eh?)
It's not that they sold him, which was probably short sighted, it's who they blew the money on after

Nowadays mate, the only time i feel ‘edgy’ is when i have a dream ive wet the bed, then wake up and feel around me to see if the sheets are cold! I appreciate my opinion in this is massively in the minority but i am in no way denigrating or demeaning an Everton gteat. He was world class with us and one of only three world class players i have seen in blue (Along with Ray Wilson and Neville).
Although Phil Neville was good I'm not sure I'd put him as world class?

Have said this before on here. The Cat was his own worst enemy at times. He didn't like stand out players who were idolised. He sold Bobby Collins, he didn't like the Golden vision and he sold Bally. He should have built teams around these type of players and made them the fulcrum of the team for a longer period. Swapping Johnson for Belfitt deary, deary me, as someone said earlier he must have been on something. Mick Bernard was a really good footballer but was always overweight and couldn't be a£&@) half the time. But The Cat bringing ING him in to replace Bally WTF.

View attachment 149074... that Moores and Catterick (pictured) sold Alan Ball (R I P) to the Arsenal.

Which one is @COYBL25 because he takes the P out of Bally even though he has never seen him play lol

Bally Captain -

s-l1600.jpg

Have said this before on here. The Cat was his own worst enemy at times. He didn't like stand out players who were idolised. He sold Bobby Collins, he didn't like the Golden vision and he sold Bally. He should have built teams around these type of players and made them the fulcrum of the team for a longer period. Swapping Johnson for Belfitt* deary, deary me, as someone said earlier he must have been on something. Mick Bernard was a really good footballer but was always overweight and couldn't be a£&@) half the time. But The Cat bringing ING him in to replace Bally WTF.
* am I then only one who remembers this?
Johnson, Whittle and a reserve fullback...whose name I can never remember..made the local papers, due to a 'Scandal' involving Holly Lodge School Girls...(we've all been there)

tbh, it wasnt that much of a scandal, they were all well over 16, but it was enough for the powers that be and they were shifted on smartish...as far away as possible...Ipswich and Palace.

Johnson, Whittle and a reserve fullback...whose name I can never remember..made the local papers, due to a 'Scandal' involving Holly Lodge School Girls...(we've all been there)

tbh, it wasnt that much of a scandal, they were all well over 16, but it was enough for the powers that be and they were shifted on smartish...as far away as possible...Ipswich and Palace.
You're right Degsy. Archie Styles was rumoured to be the 'third man'. Certainly he was left to stagnate in the reserves for far too long and went backwards as a player. The 'scandal' is the only rational explanation for the otherwise insane Johnson transfer.

You're right Degsy. Archie Styles was rumoured to be the 'third man'. Certainly he was left to stagnate in the reserves for far too long and went backwards as a player. The 'scandal' is the only rational explanation for the otherwise insane Johnson transfer.
iirc, didnt he go with Kendall to Brum when The Latch came in.

Yeah I seem to remember that. Must have been something and nothing cause as we all know Johnson came back to the RS and had a decent career there.

Status
Not open for further replies.