Jack Rodwell - Potentially World Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Devils advocate here but is the common conception that the lad is a 'wonderkid' and the next big England star a bit over the top?

To add any substance you'd expect to answer yes to a few of the below;

Does he have any outstanding attributes? I think he's viewed as an all-rounder as opposed to someone like Wilshere who is excellent at moving the ball around, but perhaps not so hot defensively. - What are they? He can pass, tackle, shoot, drive forward with the ball etc. He's atleast another 6 years off his peak. Hopefully he will continue to improve in each department.

Has he ever looked capable of taking control of a game or turning one on its head? He's surrounded by big personalities like Neville and Cahill on the pitch, which makes it difficult to stand out. He's feeling his way in to the team and trying to adhere to Moyes's work ethic. Once he gets his bearings and develops a bit of confidence you should see him starting to express himself more. - When? We've seen in glimpses against the Manchester sides and in Europe how devastating he can be when things click.

Does he have a presence on the field? If you look at his England record he's scored vital goals and put in commanding performances when it mattered and against the best young players in Europe.

Where is his natural position? In the run he had with Fellaini we suddenly became very mean defensively. He's capable of breaking forward from that position. Some mutter centre half? Is he box to box? Defensive midfield? Attacking midfield? I see him as a physically strong player able to get forward from deep very much like Huddlestone or Essien. I don't really see what we'd gain by switching him to centreback, especially when we have a lot of players coming through in that position anyway.

Will he command a starting place next season? Ahead of Arteta/Fellaini/Cahill? I think we can accommodate all of them- Fellaini and Rodwell shielding the back four, with Arteta on the left and Cahill in behind the striker. I think we need to consider Neville in there too. Jack has made 10 league starts for us so far this season. If he starts half the games next season that will be good progress for him.

Moyes has today said 17-year-old Ross Barkley would have featured this season if it wasn't for his injury. What does that mean for Rodwell? I can't see Moyes using a 17 year old in central midfield. He must be thinking of giving him game time in the wider areas in which case it wouldn't affect Rodwell.

At 20 years of age What do we have on our hands here? The next Michael Carrick or the next Steven Gerrard? At the moment he's more like a John Obi Mikel. He's quietly effective. Hopefully his influence on our play will steadily grow.

I can't make up my mind. I've never been so indecisive in my judgement on a player. I'm not convinced with the hype. He looks assured enough in possession but very rarely looks comfortable/confident/willing enough to make it count... I think it's the same with Bily. His natural instinct is to get forward, but Moyes is drumming defensive responsibility and shape in to him. He's taking time to find the right balance and to understand what he should be doing.

From the performances you have seen, would you consider him capable of being 'World Class'? It's difficult to be a 'world class' defensive midfielder. Song has been excellent for Arsenal, but the plaudits go to his team mates. Lucas tops all the stats tables but is even derided by his own fans. Stuart Holden slips under the radar at Bolton. Even Scott Parker is only getting the recognition that he deserves in the twilight of his career. If he bangs in a couple of goals then suddenly everyone will be talking about what a sensation he is. His impact might not have been as instant as Coleman's, but I'm sure that he will endure and grow into a mountain of a player for the blues.

Thoughts?

Keep the faith.

The lad can play and is only going to get better. Wonderkid is over the top but he is a cultured player and is only going to get better with more games. He has everything going for him in terms of height, speed and the basics. He is only 20 after all.

Without a question or a shadow of a doubt in my mind i think he will be a trully world class midfeilder.

Does he have any outstanding attributes? - What are they?

He has it all really, great techniuqe, vision, power, pace, two footed, the ability to score in the box and from deep, he is two footed, that said he does have some weaknesses that will be ironed out of his game with coaching.

Has he ever looked capable of taking control of a game or turning one on its head? - When?

You could argue his introduction against Utd at home last season, impacted us positively he was cetainly a positive influence on us, for me his best game.

Does he have a presence on the field?

Yes and no, i have seen him play amongst players his own age coming from deep with his pace and power and running at midfeilders and deenders, this is see as his great strength going on into future, given he is a scoring threat and a gifted technical player - i see him very much as an opposition half midfeilder.

Where is his natural position? Some mutter centre half? Is he box to box? Defensive midfield? Attacking midfield?

I certainly see him as a midfeilder, i think he will eventually play in a similar role to Lamaprd and Gerrard - though i think he will be better then both. Its his pace and power really coming from deep, i think is a huge danger, he has ability to hold on to the ball and make up yards - we havnt seen a lot of it at senior level but he has it. I see him presently playing in the role that Fernades used to play left or right just in front of an anchor, be it Neville, Heit, Mofro, Arteta. He will and can do damage from the centre line up.

At 20 years of age What do we have on our hands here? The next Michael Carrick or the next Steven Gerrard?

For me he will defo be on a par with Gerrard and Lamaprd, this lad has more natural talent then both IMO, which is why there is so much intrest in him over the years, the raw tools this guy has are absolutley frightening once he develops the confidence, tactical awarness and consistencey to use them, what he lacks can be coached what he pocesses is god given gifts very few footballers have had naturally, all the best coaches can see it which is why so many are sniffing around - its about spotting them - which most Everton fans seem to have missed.

Not a shadow of doubt in my mind, he will be world class, or by the time (hopefully) he leaves us will be worth 50 mill.

He's not all that. Loads of hype as a lid but just won't develop.

We'll probably end up selling him to someone like City on reputation alone for £15m where he'll go on to be damp squid and offloaded to Sunderland for a fraction of that price in the years ahead. I know it might not be the universally held view but I like that Gibson at United. I'd rather have him.

Last edited:

the thing is its not what Potential we think he has! its what the board think his Potential transfer fee is!

and i gotta say if we get the right money for him (ok could do with an england cap) then i think the money could do the team more favours than he ever could!

i just dont think hes got the balls to grab a game by its short and curlys! dont get me wrong if we had the money to keep him then i would say yes keep him and hope he becomes a "great" player! but sadly we aint!

Could Jack Rodwell be world class? He certainly could. Will he be? I'm not so sure. It's all mental whether or not he makes it for me, the ability is there, he just need that quiet confidence that all world class players have in their own ability.

Personally, getting £20m+ for him would be great dealing, as he could well turn out to be average.

Besides, I'm more excited by this Barkley lad.

Devils advocate here but is the common conception that the lad is a 'wonderkid' and the next big England star a bit over the top?

To add any substance you'd expect to answer yes to a few of the below;

Does he have any outstanding attributes? - What are they?

Has he ever looked capable of taking control of a game or turning one on its head? - When?

Does he have a presence on the field?

Where is his natural position? Some mutter centre half? Is he box to box? Defensive midfield? Attacking midfield?

Will he command a starting place next season? Ahead of Arteta/Fellaini/Cahill?

Moyes has today said 17-year-old Ross Barkley would have featured this season if it wasn't for his injury. What does that mean for Rodwell?

At 20 years of age What do we have on our hands here? The next Michael Carrick or the next Steven Gerrard?

I can't make up my mind. I've never been so indecisive in my judgement on a player. I'm not convinced with the hype. He looks assured enough in possession but very rarely looks comfortable/confident/willing enough to make it count...

From the performances you have seen, would you consider him capable of being 'World Class'?

Thoughts?

To use an Analogy ; L.C.A.B. ; Booker Prize Winner ...???

See , IT COULD HAPPEN ,....

Ive backed this Kid from the off , but in truth he singularly failed to " Grab " any game this Season , esp' when Injury's REALLY HIT ...

I could be wrong ... It dont happen often , but it can occur , so we shall see , I suppose ...

There is a lot in the mental side of things, part of it confidence, part of it tactical awarness and reading the game, some of it is developing consistentcey and impacting on 90 mins of a game, players with a fraction of the talent he has have mastered it, i gaurentee you one day he will do something and convince himself he is the best player on the pitch and he will be - watch him go from there.

Lets be honest, two years ago people were calling Mofro a striker.

To use an Analogy ; L.C.A.B. ; Booker Prize Winner ...???

See , IT COULD HAPPEN ,....

Ive backed this Kid from the off , but in truth he singularly failed to " Grab " any game this Season , esp' when Injury's REALLY HIT ...

I could be wrong ... It dont happen often , but it can occur , so we shall see , I suppose ...

bally ive told ye mate moyes doesnt fancy him. he would sell him tomorrow .i dont think young jack would come back to hurt us

bally ive told ye mate moyes doesnt fancy him. he would sell him tomorrow .i dont think young jack would come back to hurt us

I know lcab, and foxy respectively have direct output/input from Goodison, but ive heard this as well, Moyes doesn't" fancy the kids". I heard it direct from one of our youth/reserve/ now shipped out Mark Hughes gob.

Moyes "didn't fancy" Seamus Coleman according to some not so long ago.

What happened there then?

Maybe it should be "not quite so in-the-know" when it comes to (some who claim to know) Moyes and his thinking ey?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.