Jack Rodwell - Potentially World Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about starting a new thread for this, but thought I better just put it in here.

Now, lately, I notice that there's been a lot of calls to sell Rodwell, to anyone who'll offer more than a bag of peanuts and a years subscription to Anglers weekly.

Now, call me naive, call me stupid, but to me, that seems to most ****ing stupid idiotic thing to do.

Sure, he's not had a good season. He seems to have drifted through games, without marking his authority on them in any way.

Buuuut, just look at him. Look at what he has. His physical and technical attributes are superb. He's what, 6'2, built like a tank, but he has an elagance and poise on the ball that not many players seem to have. He's got a good range of passing, even if he seems determined not to show it, and when he runs with the ball, he just seems to glide around the pitch. It's quite majestic to watch sometimes.

What he's lacking, we all agree, is the mentality. He doesn't seem to realise, that he has the ability to control a game, to influence it in a way that not many players will be able to.

These atributes should come with time. No player is the finished article at 20. Look at Fellaini when we bought him. He was a gangly, awkward player who very few of us could see what the point in him was. A season and a half later, he starts controlling games. Remember Man City last season? Incredible.

So i'm not getting these catcalls to sell Rodwell to any Tom, [Poor language removed] or Harry who'll offer anything over £10m. He has the all the attributes to be one of the very, very top players. Just because he isn't yet, doesn't mean he wont be.

And he's a blue, lest we forget. One of our own. We have a potentially very special player for this club. Let's not sell him now, eh?

Spot on post, we need to see if we can bring his natural talent to where it should be before taking any offers. This kid needs some real coaching, one on one, real time spent, his potential is worth it.

I honestly think that with all our youth coming through we should be more proactive on looking to loan them out. It did coleman the world of good last season. The premier league is so insular that I think a sensible move would be to loan out some of our youngsters to foreign clubs, let them get a different footballing education. Rodwell is past this stage now really, but surely it would be better for our youth to be getting game time than sitting on our bench game after game. Moyes rarely brings youth off the bench unless his hand is forced, so why not let them continue their development somewhere else, if only for six months?

Agree with the sentiment but dealing in reality his value to the squad in the here and now isn't massive which makes him our most expendable truly sale able asset. I would love us to keep him but if clubs are genuinely interested and want to pay a decent amount this would enable us to improve areas were we are far weaker. He is in the unfortunate position of playing in central midfield at the moment, somewhere that is not short of competition. If he played left wing we wouldn't even consider it but the fact is, with our current financial constraints we need to plug the gaps and a Rodwell sale may enable us to do that.

Short term thinking. I'd much rather get rid of Arteta, then Rodwell.

He could be a top, top player. We cant buy those players, so why sell the ones we have?

Spot on post, we need to see if we can bring his natural talent to where it should be before taking any offers. This kid needs some real coaching, one on one, real time spent, his potential is worth it.

Yes. This is true. I think, in some ways, he'd be a better player if he went to United. They'd be able to coach him. But i'm selfish, and I want him to stay.

He probably won't even get a game with Stuart Pearce in charge.

Hahhahahaha, that's so true. He's going to play that yard dog Muamba.

Top Stuff by BLS here.

Cheers Neiler.

Short term thinking. I'd much rather get rid of Arteta, then Rodwell.

He could be a top, top player. We cant buy those players, so why sell the ones we have?

If we could raise 20 million for Arteta then fair enough and I would go with that. We can't though and the sale of Rodwell could potentially have a positive effect on our future in a similar way that the Rooney sale did.

I do think if we don't have to sell Rodwell to raise funds then great, I do think it might be our only genuine option though.

If we could raise 20 million for Arteta then fair enough and I would go with that. We can't though and the sale of Rodwell could potentially have a positive effect on our future in a similar way that the Rooney sale did.

I do think if we don't have to sell Rodwell to raise funds then great, I do think it might be our only genuine option though.

That's fair enough mate. I dont see especially why we need to raise funds though? As far as I can make out, the banks aren't breaking the door down, and we dont need a massive overhaul. I think we'd be better served through the sales of players such as Yakubu and Yobo.

That's fair enough mate. I dont see especially why we need to raise funds though? As far as I can make out, the banks aren't breaking the door down, and we dont need a massive overhaul. I think we'd be better served through the sales of players such as Yakubu and Yobo.

Depends on your perception of how far away we are from winning stuff/finishing in top four or five. I reckon we are at least a top class striker and winger away so that needs big money. Ideally we would have the cash to buy these without selling Rodwell, sales of Yakubu, Yobo etc aren't going to get us even close though imo.

This is an awkward one for me because when you look at him, he's got everything you want from a central midfielder, he's big-ish, he's meant to be strong, and he's technically sound, despite his touch being a little heavy.

But being honest, I have to question if he has the mental capability of being a world class player. I think he'll continue to live in Fellaini's shadow as long as the pair of them are here because Fellaini will go out and grab games by the scruff of the neck, whereas I'm yet to see Rodwell do this.

I'd say he's as good as the people you put round him at this level. Would I sell him? For the right price, yes. I'd rather not sell him but I'm not going to be gutted if he goes like I was with Rooney.

Depends on your perception of how far away we are from winning stuff/finishing in top four or five. I reckon we are at least a top class striker and winger away so that needs big money. Ideally we would have the cash to buy these without selling Rodwell, sales of Yakubu, Yobo etc aren't going to get us even close though imo.

We're miles off mate. We're not getting higher up the league with this current board in place.

I think, in future though, we'd be closer with Rodwell, then without him

central midfielders dont tend to dominate consistently at 20 years old. They do the odd game and then look off the pace in others. Hopefully as we move through to him being 23/4 alongside Fellaini we will have the strongest central midfield partnership in the league.

COYB !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back