Jack Rodwell - Potentially World Class?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rodwell actual value at this moment isn't very much. He year of injury and current mediocre form aren't convincing anyone that he's turned a corner. What Moyes needs to do is figure out is whether to coach him up himself and potentially make close to $30 million or sell him now for a lower amount and pass off the risk to the new club. My feeling is that if we aren't offered $18 million or more, walk away immediately. Just 6 months ago, he would have brought $20 million I feel so he doesn't need to improve a lot to get back to that point. One little clever dribble move followed by a screamer into the corner of the goal and his value will go up again.

Either way is a risk and Moyes might be forced into selling with our current financial situation but I think Everton shouldn't sell when the stock is going down unless we're certain it'll never be back as high as it is now.

Best analogy I've heard about Rodwell is "Too much Birkdale, not enough Kirkdale"
Nice player, but doesn't have that "horrible little [Poor language removed]" factor that might drive him up to being World Class.

Totally agree that he is way too vanilla to be a monster. I think the pressure got to him - a year ago he wasn't afraid to take the ball, skip past a player or two and slam it at goal. Now it just seems like he's just trying to "keep his head down and stay out of the spotlight", he's anonymous in most games he plays, avoids getting into the action, plays uninspiring sideways passes when he gets a touch... He needs to balls up and start bossing the midfield around.

I like Rodwell, but since he has started picking up the injuries it appears that his confidence has been shot, almost like he is expected to get an injury everytime he goes in for a tackle. He needs an injury free run, as well as a run in the first XI to get his confidence back and show the world what he is capable of given the chance! Although I really don't think he will get that for the forseeable future due to the players ahead of him in the centre of midfield. Maybe loan him to a lower prem team such as Stoke or Blackburn where he will both get in the team and due to the more pyshical nature of those teams games, toughen up a bit!

Maybe loan him to a lower prem team such as Stoke or Blackburn where he will both get in the team and due to the more pyshical nature of those teams games, toughen up a bit!
We'd be seriously daft to send a potentially useful player out on loan given our relatively small squad and bad luck with injuries (Aiyegbeni who?) and just being associated with a club like Blackburn or Stoke would take the wunderkind shine off Jack and seriously deplete his value by about £10m.

Still, I agree that it probably would improve his game assuming he could command a starting spot at either of those clubs. On current form that's a little questionable.

Rowell has been hurt by injuries almost every season. To be world class he has to play 30-40 matches every season to be up there. Has the potensial, but must be free of injuries

it might just be me but if you sir whiskey nose do you really think rodwell is the answer to stop xavi and inieista??? id rather spend 30 million on modric then 20 on rodwell ny day of the week

Not a bad article - but it makes it sound like 'some Everton fans' are bigging Rodders up and are deluding themselves. I don't see any Blues being anything other than totally realistic about him, his potential and our doubts.

The main problem is the medias obsession that ALL GOOD PLAYERS MUST PLAY FOR MAN UTD. Sky Sports are as bad - only throw Arsenal into the mix too. The other week Merson and Nicholas were debating which players Arsenal should buy to tighten their defense. Gary Cahill's name was mentioned many times. You never hear them discuss which players Bolton should sign to get them into Europe do you?

I would rather Rodwell went to Chelsea to be honest.

I thought about starting a new thread for this, but thought I better just put it in here.

Now, lately, I notice that there's been a lot of calls to sell Rodwell, to anyone who'll offer more than a bag of peanuts and a years subscription to Anglers weekly.

Now, call me naive, call me stupid, but to me, that seems to most ****ing stupid idiotic thing to do.

Sure, he's not had a good season. He seems to have drifted through games, without marking his authority on them in any way.

Buuuut, just look at him. Look at what he has. His physical and technical attributes are superb. He's what, 6'2, built like a tank, but he has an elagance and poise on the ball that not many players seem to have. He's got a good range of passing, even if he seems determined not to show it, and when he runs with the ball, he just seems to glide around the pitch. It's quite majestic to watch sometimes.

What he's lacking, we all agree, is the mentality. He doesn't seem to realise, that he has the ability to control a game, to influence it in a way that not many players will be able to.

These atributes should come with time. No player is the finished article at 20. Look at Fellaini when we bought him. He was a gangly, awkward player who very few of us could see what the point in him was. A season and a half later, he starts controlling games. Remember Man City last season? Incredible.

So i'm not getting these catcalls to sell Rodwell to any Tom, [Poor language removed] or Harry who'll offer anything over £10m. He has the all the attributes to be one of the very, very top players. Just because he isn't yet, doesn't mean he wont be.

And he's a blue, lest we forget. One of our own. We have a potentially very special player for this club. Let's not sell him now, eh?

I thought about starting a new thread for this, but thought I better just put it in here.

Now, lately, I notice that there's been a lot of calls to sell Rodwell, to anyone who'll offer more than a bag of peanuts and a years subscription to Anglers weekly.

Now, call me naive, call me stupid, but to me, that seems to most ****ing stupid idiotic thing to do.

Sure, he's not had a good season. He seems to have drifted through games, without marking his authority on them in any way.

Buuuut, just look at him. Look at what he has. His physical and technical attributes are superb. He's what, 6'2, built like a tank, but he has an elagance and poise on the ball that not many players seem to have. He's got a good range of passing, even if he seems determined not to show it, and when he runs with the ball, he just seems to glide around the pitch. It's quite majestic to watch sometimes.

What he's lacking, we all agree, is the mentality. He doesn't seem to realise, that he has the ability to control a game, to influence it in a way that not many players will be able to.

These atributes should come with time. No player is the finished article at 20. Look at Fellaini when we bought him. He was a gangly, awkward player who very few of us could see what the point in him was. A season and a half later, he starts controlling games. Remember Man City last season? Incredible.

So i'm not getting these catcalls to sell Rodwell to any Tom, [Poor language removed] or Harry who'll offer anything over £10m. He has the all the attributes to be one of the very, very top players. Just because he isn't yet, doesn't mean he wont be.

And he's a blue, lest we forget. One of our own. We have a potentially very special player for this club. Let's not sell him now, eh?

Agree with the sentiment but dealing in reality his value to the squad in the here and now isn't massive which makes him our most expendable truly sale able asset. I would love us to keep him but if clubs are genuinely interested and want to pay a decent amount this would enable us to improve areas were we are far weaker. He is in the unfortunate position of playing in central midfield at the moment, somewhere that is not short of competition. If he played left wing we wouldn't even consider it but the fact is, with our current financial constraints we need to plug the gaps and a Rodwell sale may enable us to do that.

I hope he has a stand out euros, stays with us, is first on the team sheet next season and him and fellaini smash it up.

Thanks you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back