Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Jack Rodwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt you or some will either not believe or twist it in some way. But he did not want to go....he begged the club to stay, was in tears. We sent a kid out because Bill seen that money, and it became about that.

The staff at city could not believe what he was like, every window he wanted back to us.

Fans expect loyalty and class from players but are ok to dissmiss this kind of stuff from the club.

Nah

No doubt you or some will either not believe or twist it in some way. But he did not want to go....he begged the club to stay, was in tears. We sent a kid out because Bill seen that money, and it became about that.

The staff at city could not believe what he was like, every window he wanted back to us.

Fans expect loyalty and class from players but are ok to dissmiss this kind of stuff from the club.
I completely agree with you about the loyalty thing with some fans, but it wasn't just Kenwright who wanted the money.

There's a bit of rewriting of history at times because it fits the narrative to say that taking the money to go to City was a bad move and his career went downhill from there, but the truth is that nobody could believe City were actually moving for him. He was 21, had played over 100 games for us, and quite simply never really pushed on to become a particularly good player. Moyes was happy to cash in because he thought it was a good offer for someone who wasn't particularly important to his plans and was already getting plenty of injuries. History has shown him to be right. On that basis I don't think we 'owe' him anything, we're not a charity and if a player isn't our plans we have every right to sell them. I see no issue in him using us to get himself fit though, it's not like it's a big deal.

I completely agree with you about the loyalty thing with some fans, but it wasn't just Kenwright who wanted the money.

There's a bit of rewriting of history at times because it fits the narrative to say that taking the money to go to City was a bad move and his career went downhill from there, but the truth is that nobody could believe City were actually moving for him. He was 21, had played over 100 games for us, and quite simply never really pushed on to become a particularly good player. Moyes was happy to cash in because he thought it was a good offer for someone who wasn't particularly important to his plans and was already getting plenty of injuries. History has shown him to be right. On that basis I don't think we 'owe' him anything, we're not a charity and if a player isn't our plans we have every right to sell them. I see no issue in him using us to get himself fit though, it's not like it's a big deal.

And thats the spin that makes us feel good about dumping this kid for money, regardless of how he was feeling at time.

Bill talks about the everton family, but thats for when it suits him.

That move broke Rodwell and he fell out with the game completely. Duty of care, my a$$.

And thats the spin that makes us feel good about dumping this kid for money, regardless of how he was feeling at time.

Bill talks about the everton family, but thats for when it suits him.

That move broke Rodwell and he fell out with the game completely. Duty of care, my a$$.
What spin? You think we're a charity?

I can understand a Sunderland fan having that opinion of him, but don’t recall much ill-feeling towards him while he was on our books.

I’ve never disliked an Everton player more , there was one particular performance at Anfield , playing across from Gerrard , that burned my soul

Everton family blah blah blah.

Some of his injuries at city were not physical.
Couldn't care less about the Everton family mate, and i'm not trying to defend Kenwright.

I'm making the point that we were offered £12m for a player who the club were not particularly bothered about keeping. We were not in a financial position to turn that down, and i'm afraid professional footballers have to be aware that they can't just stay at the club as long as they want and may have to move on. Suggesting that we owe a player because we accepted an offer for him - he didn't have to go unless you're suggesting we drugged him and forged his signature - is a pretty ridiculous argument truth be told.

Couldn't care less about the Everton family mate, and i'm not trying to defend Kenwright.

I'm making the point that we were offered £12m for a player who the club were not particularly bothered about keeping. We were not in a financial position to turn that down, and i'm afraid professional footballers have to be aware that they can't just stay at the club as long as they want and may have to move on. Suggesting that we owe a player because we accepted an offer for him - he didn't have to go unless you're suggesting we drugged him and forged his signature - is a pretty ridiculous argument truth be told.

Thats your opinion mate, and thats cool.

But what happened to him is not opinion, and was terrible from our side. It broke him, we hung him out to dry and the result of that is what happened the rest of his career.

I do care about what we do to and how we treat our own players we prouce, maybe thats what makes us different.

That my all be true but if moving 30 miles up the road broke the kid why did he move 200 odd mile north to Sunderland, I'm sure he could've held out for a nearer club even if it was a league down, but he didn't,he didn't seemed all that bothered about that move, unless you know different.

That my all be true but if moving 30 miles up the road broke the kid why did he move 200 odd mile north to Sunderland, I'm sure he could've held out for a nearer club even if it was a league down, but he didn't,he didn't seemed all that bothered about that move, unless you know different.

Point is, it was his boyhood club, the club he loved that broke his heart and thats the point that he lost interest in the game. After that, he was never going to do anything.

City did loads for him, mental stuff. He was just not interested.

Yes maybe it shows he was weak, and soft. But how would we all be if the club you had adored since aged 5 binned you off without a care, these things hurt and mould you for better of worse for rest of your career/life.

Some people act like nothing bothers them on here, and money should stop people getting mentally hurt.

Point is, it was his boyhood club, the club he loved that broke his heart and thats the point that he lost interest in the game. After that, he was never going to do anything.

City did loads for him, mental stuff. He was just not interested.

Yes maybe it shows he was weak, and soft. But how would we all be if the club you had adored since aged 5 binned you off without a care, these things hurt and mould you for better of worse for rest of your career/life.

Some people act like nothing bothers them on here, and money should stop people getting mentally hurt.

Mate we sold him to the most ambitious club in the world, with the best facilities, staff and players round him - for a much higher wage per week.

You're chatting wham.

Mate we sold him to the most ambitious club in the world, with the best facilities, staff and players round him - for a much higher wage per week.

You're chatting wham.

Yes, because thats what every Evertonian wants.

Div

EDIT : and no they didn’t have the best facilities....they trained at carrington then, the place they gave to Bury FC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back