• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Jack Wilshere's comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

My view is that it really doesn't matter what Wilshere says - he's asked about it and it isn't too surprising that he ended up saying something that could be twisted. I don't think he's racist, but I do think he's probably not thought much about it.

The England football team should be one of two things, I think (though, having said that, I don't really follow any national team)

1. It's to prove who has the best coaching and training of players. The national level is a way to essentially show how a group of players has developed over 10 or so years playing together. This only really works if you have a set style that is forced through and the players are coached together very closely from a young age (Barcelona, France). In this case, you should only prefer players who have trained within a particular nation's system for a length of time.
or

2. It's representative of the nation as a whole - it's supposed to highlight positive elements of the nation at large. Britain has a vibrant immigrant population some of whom choose to take nationality after 5 years. These people are British legally and I really don't think it is up to anyone to start deciding what makes someone British. If they are legally British they are just as British as someone who was born here. You may feel more British, English, patriotic - but you don't get to decide whether they are actually British. If we go with the representative nation then yes, live for 5 years and have a kickabout at Wembley if you fancy it.

If you come to England as a minor, with your parents or as an orphan for instance, and feel like you are English and belong to the country then I have no problem with that person representing England.
If you're brought over as a youth player for a domestic club, you're not moving to the country for the right reasons, it's purely business so representing that country is weird.
Then if you come over as an adult a la Arteta then you shouldn't even consider changing allegiance for your own country.

I agree with this, and that is what Wilshere is saying I think

following on from his views do you think we should go as far as too say maybe only scousers should play for everton and liverpool

maybe we shouldnt have foreigners playing in the english premier league

etc..
etc..

One of the sides I admire the most in Football is Bilbao like. I also consider the Lisbon Lions win the greatest achievement in football history.

Mills telling campbell and lineker to pipe down, comes across pretty well actually

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24500288

Must admit I don't mind Mills at all.

Dare I say it Michael Owen isn't too bad a pundit, either. He's got the most boring voice in the world but he's actually not bad.

Maybe my standards of punditry have just been reduced drastically after years of Andy Townsend, Alan Hansen etc..

England has proved by using English you get battered and constantly humiliated.

you should start importing Belgian if you want to actually win anything.

see : Cricket team

England has proved by using English you get battered and constantly humiliated.

you should start importing Belgian if you want to actually win anything.

see : Cricket team

England have only been crap since we syopped playing like england and tried to be every other nation under the sun thats won a pot.

Must admit I don't mind Mills at all.

Dare I say it Michael Owen isn't too bad a pundit, either. He's got the most boring voice in the world but he's actually not bad.

Maybe my standards of punditry have just been reduced drastically after years of Andy Townsend, Alan Hansen etc..

Its nice when you get suprised by someones standards as a pundit, like watching ringside the other night, You'd assume Paulie Malignaggi would be a grade A belter, but when you see him as a pundit he also really does come across well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back