2022/23 James Garner

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Inexperience" is a BS excuse for players not being good enough.

With our current record we could have Messi and he'd never sniff the first team cuz he's "not ready". Then we wonder why every team around and abroad gets these good young players lol

So they get experience only when they're 20, never before then? If they never play, they never get experience, and you start somewhere.
The most likely situation is that they aren’t and never will be good enough though. It sounds harsh but it’s true. Garner is a perfect example really, he’s much more experienced and highly rated but the truth he hasn’t actually shown anything at all to be excited about. This is top level football, it’s very different to doing reasonably well in the under 23s.

The man is playing Keane, Holgate, Maupay and the likes...if young players cant get in ahead of them then theyre either way off being ready or the manager is incompetent.
They have to convince the manager they are up to it in training. The training field is there stage. If not selected then something must be amiss in training.

The man is playing Keane, Holgate, Maupay and the likes...if young players cant get in ahead of them then theyre either way off being ready or the manager is incompetent.

…I suspect he thinks it’s high risk, Zat. Patterson as a conventional RB would surely have been a better option today but he went with experience & it nearly cost us.

Don’t expect young faces this season but his hand will be forced after the summer regardless of what division we are in.

First half he was good. Second half disappeared. What I liked about Garner is he has the size and physicality, just the right amount of pace and has shown he can on occasionally pick out the pass. He has range.

He worked really hard in that first half and got stuck in as a box to box midfielder should. I need to see more consistency from him before I deem him anything more than a “maybe someday” guy though. Flashes- nothing more. Maybe needs to work on conditioning a bit to survive the full 90

First half he was good. Second half disappeared. What I liked about Garner is he has the size and physicality, just the right amount of pace and has shown he can on occasionally pick out the pass. He has range.

He worked really hard in that first half and got stuck in as a box to box midfielder should. I need to see more consistency from him before I deem him anything more than a “maybe someday” guy though. Flashes- nothing more. Maybe needs to work on conditioning a bit to survive the full 90
A balanced take emerges from the ashes.

He looks a perfectly decent young midfielder. We have on occasion over many years started Tom Davies. Safe to say after 45 minutes today it’s clear Garner is and will be better than the furry perpetual teenager.

Will be an asset definitely to the squad and possibly the starting lineup when Onana buggers off to play for Brazil.

I expect him to be better for longer as he gains full match sharp about our only midfielder who does not treat the ball like does of the clap.

Last edited:
A balanced take emerges from the ashes.

He looks a perfectly decent young midfielder. We have on occasion over many years started Tom Davies. Safe to say after 45 minutes today it’s clear Garner is and will be better than the furry perpetual teenager.

Will be an asset definitely to the squad and possibly the starting lineup when Onana buggers off to play for Brazil.

Worth noting that in Tom Davies' first season plenty thought he was the answer to our midfield problems for the next 10 years. No one has seen enough of Garner to confidently say how his career here will pan out.

A lot of the time he has played I think he struggles to impose himself on the pitch. I suspect with Onana and Doucoure returning he will drop back to bench and a big preseason will await for him to get properly up to speed for what will hopefully be Premier League football.

I like him and with better players around him , could turn out to be a very decent player

The only problem is that I've seen this written about pretty much every signing we make. At some point, we need to start buying players who are the catalyst for a better team and not ones who might improve if only we had different players to play alongside them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back