2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an inkling Carlo might be playing games with his James announcement earlier today, but if he is indeed out - through no fault of his own - then, coupled with the mindless loss of Richarlison, I think we'll struggle. How much we struggle will be insightful. If the spirit and attitude has changed, we might surprise ourselves and the likes of Siggy might step up, given the chance. However, I know enough about last year's Everton - which we will more closely resemble on Sunday - to expect very little indeed.

Richarlison is a blow, but James is not a loss we can even hope to cover. Damage limitation time. A truly resurgent Everton goes to Southampton without these guys and finds a way to win. A resilient squad gets a point. Old Everton ships three and Danny Ings makes Team of the Week.

To @UptheTofees, @Sassy Colombian and all our other new Colombian friends, I need you to brace yourselves. We've looked like world beaters with your boy in the team, but this is NOT the Everton we have endured the last few years and I feel we've given you a false impression. Please don't be shocked at the team that takes to the field on Sunday, we like having you as fans

To @UptheTofees, @Sassy Colombian and all our other new Colombian friends, I need you to brace yourselves. We've looked like world beaters with your boy in the team, but this is NOT the Everton we have endured the last few years and I feel we've given you a false impression. Please don't be shocked at the team that takes to the field on Sunday, we like having you as fans
THIS is Everton.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to do this every so often with him. I've been kind of waiting for something like this ever since it was announced we were getting him for nothing.

We may just be blaming this on VVD for convenience. I was half expecting him not to start the derby after what Ancelotti said about him needing to be on the bench if Colombia were to push him through multiple full 90s (and I believe they did).

He may simply need to rest after playing mid-week games as a rule to prevent recurring injuries.

Carlo could also obviously be telling the truth, but I am finding it hard to believe that he played on for 90 minutes with an issue bad enough for us to say he's missing out on a game 8 days later, this far in advance.

I fear interest in the game at Southampton will not be at quite the same level visavis the Columbian contingent.

I wouldn't be surprised if we have to do this every so often with him. I've been kind of waiting for something like this ever since it was announced we were getting him for nothing.

We may just be blaming this on VVD for convenience. I was half expecting him not to start the derby after what Ancelotti said about him needing to be on the bench if Colombia were to push him through multiple full 90s (and I believe they did).

He may simply need to rest after playing mid-week games as a rule to prevent recurring injuries.

Carlo could also obviously be telling the truth, but I am finding it hard to believe that he played on for 90 minutes with an issue bad enough for us to say he's missing out on a game 8 days later, this far in advance.
Post match swelling?
Got to remember some injuries only become an issue after a day/few days

Hmm, maybe.

He could easily have got a knock which didn't flare up until after the game, though, when the adrenaline rush is done.

Injuries like that are easy to sustain without really knowing. You could carry on through the pain, and not feel the issue until the day after.

It's probably stopped him training, so that's why they're saying he won't be available.

This is Everton and I am here to stay.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

But I will say that I will not be surprised if we played well still. When good players come to a team and the winning starts, the others raise their level of play. Attitudes and efforts improve and the teams perform even without their stars. It's obviously not sustainable over a long period of time, but a few games it's very possible.

DCL, Doucs, Allan, Keane, Digne. We have enough quality to sustain. COYB!

Status
Not open for further replies.