2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.

There's on example of how it was a commercially brilliant signing.

I'm basing all of the above off what has been reported by accurate sources throughout the saga. Most of it isn't even speculation.

Did the club need to shift him out? Yes - this has been widely reported since July. We needed his wages off the books.

Did James want to leave? I think we can safely say yes.

So, like I said, a two-way streak.

Does it stick though mate?

How many are casual observers, rather than anything meaningful?

All that talks of is branding and projection of the club; there's nothing there about capitalising on that financially.

I'd like to know how a season of James has translated into cold hard cash. How many shirts did we sell of James? Just a simple and obvious one but that would be more telling than some corporate gobbledygook.

To be fair dave, I've just looked and GOT had a 721.07% increase in visitors from Colombia;

01-Sep-2019 - 01-Sep-2020 - 261
01-Sep-2020 - 01-Sep-2021 - 2,143

I mean, we get more traffic from Bootle in a week than we do in a year from Colombia, but James Rodriguez has took Colombia from 32nd to 26th in GOT's most visited audience. That has to count for something.

:oops:

Just a reminder, that at the end of the 2020 summer window, we (the club) decided Cenk Tosun, who wasn't fit at the time (he didn't come back until November) and we had been trying to sell for two years, was going to be our back up striker for the first half of the season. He ended up getting games.

So anyone suggesting we should bin James Rodriguez off while he's here and make him train on his own or some nonsense like that is genuinely weird.
Exactly mate. We had no plan when he didnt play last year. Now we have a style of play without him which teams will have figured out soon enough. Ideal having him off the bench or start certain games better suited to him. He will play hopefully and when he does he creates or scores which will hopefully add another option on top of what we have.

Just a reminder, that at the end of the 2020 summer window, we (the club) decided Cenk Tosun, who wasn't fit at the time (he didn't come back until November) and we had been trying to sell for two years, was going to be our back up striker for the first half of the season. He ended up getting games.

So anyone suggesting we should bin James Rodriguez off while he's here and make him train on his own or some nonsense like that is genuinely weird. And it only endorses and supports some of the baffling decisions made by this club under Brands' tenure.
Ideally I would like to see James brought into the fold and used as part of the squad; I’m sure there will be games that it makes sense to start him.

However, I’m not convinced Benitez will do that. Once you’re out of his plans, you’re out according to ex-players.

To be fair dave, I've just looked and GOT had a 721.07% increase in visitors from Colombia;

I mean, we get more traffic from Bootle in a week than we do in a year from Colombia, but James Rodriguez has took Colombia from 32nd to 26th in GOT's most visited audience. That has to count for something.

Well I don't know mate. The best way for anything to 'stick' is for the club to be successful on the pitch. When I had my interview for a club journalist/digital journalist role last year in March, they asked me about how we could improve global audiences as one of the questions.

It was a weird one but managed to cover all the usual bases in my answer, but then I did mention at the end of it that ultimately marketing only gets so far in football - it's about success on the field.

Had Everton got into Europe, as they should have done, I'm sure we'd have seen James' face plastered all over.

Colombian themed got mug

Well I don't know mate. The best way for anything to 'stick' is for the club to be successful on the pitch. When I had my interview for a club journalist/digital journalist role last year in March, they asked me about how we could improve global audiences as one of the questions.

It was a weird one but managed to cover all the usual bases in my answer, but then I did mention at the end of it that ultimately marketing only gets so far in football - it's about success on the field.

Had Everton got into Europe, as they should have done, I'm sure we'd have seen James' face plastered all over.

No doubt.

All down to relevance, and that only comes - really - with success on the pitch.

Not sure if/how a transfer can be described as commercially successful - I don't think we'd ever get the insight. I do struggle to see how his fees/wages and marketing costs would be recouped though.

Just hope he wants to deliver here a motivated james can improve the team
In football terms he's still quite young but is also very well off and could already live very comfortably in Colombia for the rest of his life.

It all depends how motivated he is to continue his career after he leaves Everton and indeed for his country in next years World Cup.

I'm hoping James will be shaken by the lack of interest in him this summer coming on the back of him being overlooked for the Copa America. There's no doubt in my mind that this was mainly down to his unreliability.

Hopefully the player understands and recognises this AND has the motivation to get his career back on track.

It's then a case of the manager working with the player to get the best out of him whilst keeping him fit. I'm no expert, but common sense tells me that we need to manage his playing time, starting some games where we do not expect to be as exposed defensively, but being introduced in most games from the bench.

Hopefully we have a manager who is willing to reintegrate him into the squad. In my mind it would be lunacy not to.

In football terms he's still quite young but is also very well off and could already live very comfortably in Colombia for the rest of his life.

It all depends how motivated he is to continue his career after he leaves Everton and indeed for his country in next years World Cup.

I'm hoping James will be shaken by the lack of interest in him this summer coming on the back of him being overlooked for the Copa America. There's no doubt in my mind that this was mainly down to his unreliability.

Hopefully the player understands and recognises this AND has the motivation to get his career back on track.

It's then a case of the manager working with the player to get the best out of him whilst keeping him fit. I'm no expert, but common sense tells me that we need to manage his playing time, starting some games where we do not expect to be as exposed defensively, but being introduced in most games from the bench.

Hopefully we have a manager who is willing to reintegrate him into the squad. In my mind it would be lunacy not to.
It’s a win win scenario if Benitez and James can work together. The manager gets a talented playmaker and James will hopefully get a move when his contract expires if he puts in some good performances.

He’s not going to get a lucrative contract sitting at home all season. Just hope Benitez is pragmatic enough to work with him.

Still a very useful player for us. Can see him being utilised well in that role behind DCL against teams that sit back against us with his creativity unlocking defenses

Also at what point did it become the common consensus that he was on 200k a week? I thought it was initially reported to be 90k but it seems the narrative suddenly changed when Benitez wanted rid

Status
Not open for further replies.