2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we all want that but do you not think Benitez knows James better than us?
This is a decision he appears to be making based on what he knows.
If we're honest, we know nothing at all about James's character.
Wouldn't we be best trusting the judgement of someone who does?
I think if Benitez still holds a grudge from when he decided James wasn't for him at Madrid - who had Ronaldo, Modric, Kroos, Benzema et al - for the four or five months he was there before he got binned off, then that says more about Benitez than James.

But I actually don't think he does hold that grudge. I think he knows James can be useful because if he looks at our squad then there's no way he can think anything otherwise.

You say nobody knows about his character, yet you've been in here for the last few weeks insisting he's a lazy so and so

I do agree but Benitez's call is based on what he knows about James. He's managed him and must know he's a bit of a prima donna. We can't just blame Everton and Beinitez on this one as if you look at his career, it's littered with missed opportunities.
If he was the top top player he believes he is, he wouldn't be playing for us and their would be a queue of clubs wanting him now.

Whilst some fans are rightly disappointed that he's likely to leave before they see him, I think most people on here are wrong about Benitez on this one.
We don't know James, Benitez does.
There is no way this decision is based on arrogance, it's based on how Benitez wants to take Everton forward.
I have purposely stayed on the periphery of this James thread as its polarised to the nth finger-prodding degree and I'm in the middle in the main. Theres also far too many posting "if, but, maybe and would be, RB thinks this and James isnt that"for me....convinced by their own conjecture. Rinse and repeat.
Noone knows the proper score because we haven't been told. I don't agree with those waiting for his head in a basket at the base of the guillotine ...the tasters of class I saw from his cameo roles last season left me greedy for more. I also enjoyed the commentators and pundits openly drooling over his sublime play...its been a long time I've heard that about someone in the royal blue shirt....too long and also too few and far between over the years.
The very early progress report on RB is promising...work rate, tenacity, team work and results. I would be narked if James - still under contract - doesn't make the bench. We're paying him for Christ sake - if he refuses to play as some frequently suggest here, then do him for breach of contract.
It would be tasty though while hes still here, to witness him playing some part in this "new" team....one that can actually execute passes successfully and quickly and also play one touch incisive football that is a pleasure to watch after the dilatory curse-ridden tedium we have endured. Lets face it, it would be the first time hes not the only one doing so.

Last edited:
I'm not against Benitez. I think he'll do a decent job.

That job will be helped by having a good player here while we can't replace him with anyone.

If we have the opportunity to replace him with quality (like we tried with Diaz) I'm okay with it.

I want the manager and the team to have every chance of success.
I think we all want that but do you not think Benitez knows James better than us?
I think if Benitez still holds a grudge from when he decided James wasn't for him at Madrid - who had Ronaldo, Modric, Kroos, Benzema et al - for the four or five months he was there before he got binned off, then that says more about Benitez than James.

But I actually don't think he does hold that grudge. I think he knows James can be useful because if he looks at our squad then there's no way he can think anything otherwise.

You say nobody knows about his character, yet you've been in here for the last few weeks insisting he's a lazy so and so

I can only make assumptions on what i see, as you do. From what i see and what his career looks like so far, I THINK he may be a little lazy and hasn't lived up to his undoubted talent - you and other disagree, which you're entitled to do.
Mine and your position is based on an assumption, Benitez's isn't.
He knows him and in his eyes, can do without him - that's good enough for me.

I can only make assumptions on what i see, as you do. From what i see and what his career looks like so far, I THINK he may be a little lazy and hasn't lived up to his undoubted talent - you and other disagree, which you're entitled to do.

I think he's been hit by injuries and maybe sometimes hasn't done enough to take care of himself.

But he gets branded 'lazy' seemingly because he doesn't run. Well, the thing is, he does. He just isn't powerful, isn't quick. But he doesn't need to be, in a balanced team, and I actually think Benitez will have more of a balance than Carlo managed.

Now that doesn't mean indulging James, but we should absolutely keep him on board until we get a replacement in ;)

This is my fear for Benitez. He has made so many mistakes in the past, especially thinking that he was more important than James when at Madrid which resulted in him quickly being shown the door. Benitez might not be a world-class talent like James and sincerely I hope that he doesn't throw this opportunity away by making the same mistake again.

This is my fear for Benitez. He has made so many mistakes in the past, especially thinking that he was more important than James when at Madrid which resulted in him quickly being shown the door. Benitez might not be a world-class talent like James and sincerely I hope that he doesn't throw this opportunity away by making the same mistake again.

Being the manager of the team, isn't he more important than one of his squad members or is James actually more important than him?
Surely he isn't

All of that is an assumption that Benitez isn't playing him because he holds a grudge.

Pfffttt James. Who is he to us scousers. Unbeatez has brang FA cups, UEFA word cup, champions league, charity shields to our city. Living here beards is scouse Ben. He's one of us. Like we are going to side with some pre Madonna expat we know a year who doesn't know who we play and bounces on a plane as we play a game to try and get Europe.

So why hasn't he buggered off to China like our manager did? Or did he do that for 'the project'?

I have no problem with Benny going to China for a pay day.

We all would do the same if offered the chance.

I dont think James is money motivated however I dont think he's committed to Everton either.

At least Benitez IS committed to the club.

I have no problem with Benny going to China for a pay day.

We all would do the same if offered the chance.

I dont think James is money motivated however I dont think he's committed to Everton either.

At least Benitez IS committed to the club.

By the same token, the club have wanted rid of James all summer. So why would he have been that arsed either?

Two-way streak. Point is both parties now should come together, get through until Jan and then reassess.

Whatever James is on, it's worth it for what he brings to us right now, and then we can look at moving him on at a time we can actually replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back