Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

Might be in the minority here but am not totally against this signing.

People saying its a short sighted signing must be forgetting some of our better CB's have been over 30 in the premier league years, honestly thought Richard Gough was going to be one of the worst signings we made, but he was an absolute rock.

Not too bothered about this signing, on a free transfer means higher wages sure, but beggars can't be choosers at the moment, we need CB reinforcements - he's a captain (and isn't a shy one at that) and we are on short supply of that type of character.

People saying its a short sighted signing must be forgetting some of our better CB's have been over 30 in the premier league years, honestly thought Richard Gough was going to be one of the worst signings we made, but he was an absolute rock.

Not too bothered about this signing, on a free transfer means higher wages sure, but beggars can't be choosers at the moment, we need CB reinforcements - he's a captain (and isn't a shy one at that) and we are on short supply of that type of character.

Dont understand that point myself, the short term is our priority, we need to be in the PL come BMD, this lad enables value, improving a line, that allows funds to be redirected to strengthen elsewhere, it also gives the freedom to develop young Braintwaite over a couple of years. The lad up until this point has missed very few games, when you go back over the season how many different combinations did we have at the back week in week out, that to my mind really undermined us.

The age thing isnt an issue when you look at the ages of the centre back we have available, we arent suddenly going to get caught short, i had a look at the top performing opta center backs in the league last year and only Dias and Gabriel were under 28.

30 years isn't that old for a centre back, is it? Proven and experienced in the PL. Can't claim I know too much about him, as I haven't really followed Burnley, but seems to me as a sensible signing. Depending on wages that is. Just hope we'll be looking to bring the overall age down with our other signings.

Dont understand that point myself, the short term is our priority, we need to be in the PL come BMD, this lad enables value, improving a line, that allows funds to be redirected to strengthen elsewhere, it also gives the freedom to develop young Braintwaite over a couple of years. The lad up until this point has missed very few games, when you go back over the season how many different combinations did we have at the back week in week out, that to my mind really undermined us.

The age thing isnt an issue when you look at the ages of the centre back we have available, we arent suddenly going to get caught short, i had a look at the top performing opta center backs in the league last year and only Dias and Gabriel were under 28.

I dont get the claim either mate, its not short sighted imo, its filling a position which needs support - most CBs are better into their 30s, the lad is a captain (he is a bit of a snide too I hate playing against him), and we need more leaders, we dont have enough.

I dont see many downsides - sure his wages might be higher then probably expected but he's on a free which is a given, and we are shedding and have shedded a load from the wage bill over the last few windows.

30 years isn't that old for a centre back, is it? Proven and experienced in the PL. Can't claim I know too much about him, as I haven't really followed Burnley, but seems to me as a sensible signing. Depending on wages that is. Just hope we'll be looking to bring the overall age down with our other signings.

Moyes bid 30 odd million for a couple of seasons back, bodes well mate.

I am relenting on my opposition to this signing. I accept that in our lowly state we can hardly expect to attract good players so the likes of Tarko is what we have to put up with until somehow things change for the better.

Yep, Jonny Evans is a good comparison for this. Leicester signed him from West Brom when he was 30, he's now 34 and is still in their first XI alongside Fofana.

If you have a player who has never relied on pace they can go for longer because the legs weren't essential to their game to begin with.

People, including myself, moan about us not having enough leaders. This guy is a captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.