Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Jonny Evans is a good comparison for this. Leicester signed him from West Brom when he was 30, he's now 34 and is still in their first XI alongside Fofana.

If you have a player who has never relied on pace they can go for longer because the legs weren't essential to their game to begin with.

People, including myself, moan about us not having enough leaders. This guy is a captain.

Lots of defenders gain the ability to read the game better later in their playing days, there's no excuse to turn our nose up at this on a free.

I dont get the claim either mate, its not short sighted imo, its filling a position which needs support - most CBs are better into their 30s, the lad is a captain (he is a bit of a snide too I hate playing against him), and we need more leaders, we dont have enough.

I dont see many downsides - sure his wages might be higher then probably expected but he's on a free which is a given, and we are shedding and have shedded a load from the wage bill over the last few windows.
Our age profile of centre backs are:

Keane: 29
Godfrey: 24
Yerry: 27
Holgate: 25
Braintwaite: 19
Tarowski: 29

If we sign him on a 3/4 year deal hes essentially on the same contract as Keane taking them both with us to 33. We've a nice blend of experience youth and potential. Though we may try move Yerry on, if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Key priority is getting to BMD in the PL. we have two financial years before the increased commercial benefit of BMD hits our accounts, if the value of this lad is there in between he helps meet meet FFP, and he enables us getting there and i think he will, game ball, canny signing.

Last edited:

Yep, Jonny Evans is a good comparison for this. Leicester signed him from West Brom when he was 30, he's now 34 and is still in their first XI alongside Fofana.

If you have a player who has never relied on pace they can go for longer because the legs weren't essential to their game to begin with.

People, including myself, moan about us not having enough leaders. This guy is a captain.
All solid points but the Ashley Williams debacle makes me wary.

To be fair he’s only their captain when Mee is injured. He’s a captain in the same way Sigurdsson was a captain.

Our age profile of centre backs are:

Keane: 29
Godfrey: 24
Yerry: 27
Holgate: 25
Braintwaite: 19
Tarowski: 29

If we sign him on a 3/4 year deal hes essentially on the same contract as Keane taking them both with us to 33. We've a nice blend of experience youth and potential. Though we may try move Yerry on, if he doesn't sign a new contract.

Key priority is getting to BMD in the PL. we have two financial years before the increased commercial benefit of BMD hits our accounts, if the value of this lad is there in between he helps meet meet FFP, and he enables us getting there and i think he will, game ball, canny signing.
Who is the youth and potential? Just Branthwaite right?

For me not the right mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.