January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistally what positions do we need to address, imo the youngsters have solved a lot of needing cover problems, we have Kenny cover for Coleman, I think we are ok at CB Holgate looking ok, midfield we have more than enough. So I'd really be happy with just a decent striker and if at all possible a pacey winger. The only other problem area is LB cover, Martina ther doesn't really work, I'd just promote Garbutt for cover there, because if fit I'm sure Baines has that job for the time being.
Absolutely not. We need a legit CB. Holgate has played well, but he's a mistake waiting to happen and not strong enough to be even an average EPL CB yet.

Keane is going to eventually be the guy, but Jags/Williams are not good anymore and Holgate isn't ready. We seriously don't have one. Not one. Look at Williams today giving up that chance to Mane that should've made it 2-0.

We need all three. We really do.

Now if we jettisoned Morgan and brought in N'Zonzi or another tall DCM that can at least defend in the air against set pieces, maybe it's less of a concern. But still.

Sam made a point of saying we had a first team squad of 31 players atm, there will be lots of outgoings in Jan IMO, some may never return.
Who needs to go? My choice would be.

Klassen-Loan out.
Mirallas-Sell his times up here.
Mcarthey-Sell his times up here.
Skek-Sell promote younger keeper as 3rd choice.
Sandro-Loan out (hopefully PL team.

Klassen-Loan out.

Stek has apparently had surgery on an injury, besides, he is Fine as a back up keeper, for now at least.

Naismith mk2 hasn’t been fancied by two managers, safe to say he’s not gonna play anymore.

Sandro is a strange one, barely had any minutes.

Mirallas can go.

Absolutely not. We need a legit CB. Holgate has played well, but he's a mistake waiting to happen and not strong enough to be even an average EPL CB yet.

Keane is going to eventually be the guy, but Jags/Williams are not good anymore and Holgate isn't ready. We seriously don't have one. Not one. Look at Williams today giving up that chance to Mane that should've made it 2-0.

We need all three. We really do.

Now if we jettisoned Morgan and brought in N'Zonzi or another tall DCM that can at least defend in the air against set pieces, maybe it's less of a concern. But still.
I'm just really being realistic for the rest of the season, I'm sure Williams will stay Holgate will be in and around and .Keane will be a regular again then there's still Mori and jags, we may possibly get one in but I don't really see to much change there until summer. I've been really disappointed with Snides (but there is a player in there) then we have Besic, Mcarthey (who should really leave) the Davies and Beni who have both done well and can do a job, then there's Gana (probably our best midfielder and Rooney. But a striker is a must.

Klassen-Loan out.

I think Barkley will go, maybe Robles, McCarthy possibly, Mirallas defo, only Robles from this list even made the bench today, Besic will probably be moved on, not sure on Klaassen and Sandro yet, see if they even make the bench anytime in the next few weeks, think theres a chance we could sell Niasse, depending on whether we can get another Striker in of course.

Stek has apparently had surgery on an injury, besides, he is Fine as a back up keeper, for now at least.

Naismith mk2 hasn’t been fancied by two managers, safe to say he’s not gonna play anymore.

Sandro is a strange one, barely had any minutes.

Mirallas can go.
I agree on Sandro, I'd like to see him get more game time before January, but I think a loan similar to Niasses to hull would do Sandro the world of good.

I think Barkley will go, maybe Robles, McCarthy possibly, Mirallas defo, only Robles from this list even made the bench today, Besic will probably be moved on, not sure on Klaassen and Sandro yet, see if they even make the bench anytime in the next few weeks, think theres a chance we could sell Niasse, depending on whether we can get another Striker in of course.
I'd be disappointed to see Besic go but I must agree I can't really see where he would fit i, Niasse going would disappoint me if we only replaced him with say a Giroud type as I always thinks it's handy to keep a player like him around if needed. Also I can see Niasse running his contract down he seems to really want to be successful here and has improved I'm not sure he could be convinced to give up on that just yet.

I discussed this earlier with my brother.

He looked a world beater under Sam previously and would be cheap.

Whoever comes in he will have done his homework on them. Williams rash dive in that should have resulted in a tap in today shows we need better at CH. Ashley does this too regularly now.

All the time. His instincts are slower and he's physically much slower. I appreciate his toughness, but we need to do A LOT better.

I may be in the minority but still believe that Schneiderlin will be back in form in a month or so, watching him when he first arrived he looked like a really high-quality operator, and the eternal optimist within me says that with a run of games he'll return to that level (here's hoping anyway).

Mirallas needs binning asap, could see Besic on his way out as well (which is a shame as I always thought/hoped he'd turn it around). Unfortunately, I reckon Barkley will go, so would rather move him on now for 15m rather than lose him for nothing in the sumer. Could see Klaassen going out on loan with a view to a perm, and perhaps Sandro sadly doing the same as well.

If we are going to bring players in, it's primordial that they're top quality ones (preferably aged 23-27) in the prime of their careers, to create a balanced squad. Our squad turnover has been massive over the last few years, in comparison to Moyes' relatively stable years of 2/3 in and 2/3 out, meaning our next few acquisitions are truly vital ones that we need to get right, in order to create a strong foundation on which we can build over the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back