January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see him being the sort of player Allardyce wants around so I can see him going at the end of the season unless there is a drastic improvement, but I don't think he'll get the game time to prove whether he would eventually cut it or not and suspect he'll head back to the dutch league and tear it up again.

The problem is that no Dutch side could afford him.

I mean :

1 Mateja Kežman Partizan PSV 16.34 2000[2]
2 Miralem Sulejmani Heerenveen Ajax 16.25 2008[5]
3 Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink Twente PSV 11.34 2001[6]
4 Hakim Ziyech Twente Ajax 11.00 2016[7]

The league record is 16m, set in 2000!!!!

And not a chance anybody could get close to his wages.

Turkish league I suspect.

Coming to this opinion as well.

Having said that I am truly interested to see what Dembele, who plays in the even sorrier league to the far north, could do. I think he might be a success.

We have to sign a striker. If we can't get one who is proven quality then i would prefer a punt on Dembele than a Deeney/Adams type.

Dembele is consistently outperformed by Leigh Griffiths. As a guy who watches a lot of Scottish football he is average. Has a total inability to hold up the ball. For those who thought lukaku's hold up play was bad wait until you see him. He actually is very similar in style to Rom but with far, far less ability.

Dembele is consistently outperformed by Leigh Griffiths. As a guy who watches a lot of Scottish football he is average. Has a total inability to hold up the ball. You though lukaku's hold up play was bad wait until you see him. He actually is very similar in style to Rom but with far, far less ability.
Now that's a bit silly. He holds the ball up rather well.

Leigh Griffiths has great skill, great shot, can run with the ball, but when on earth does he play with his back to the goal in some advanced position? He's like 5'8". He's not a CF. Clever player, but come on. He's a winger or a second striker. Great shot, though, my heavens.

I'm not saying Dembele is great, but he IS a true CF, is only 21 years old, and he definitely can hold off strong defenders with his back to goal all over the pitch as well as run at guys because he has pace AND strength. I don't think he's even close to good enough to score consistently in the EPL, at least not yet, but he's certainly better already than DCL. A bit of a different player mind you, but still better. Worth 40M? Not sure about that.

Now that's a bit silly. He holds the ball up rather well.

Leigh Griffiths has great skill, great shot, can run with the ball, but when on earth does he play with his back to the goal in some advanced position? He's like 5'8". He's not a CF. Clever player, but come on. He's a winger or a second striker. Great shot, though, my heavens.

I'm not saying Dembele is great, but he IS a true CF, is only 21 years old, and he definitely can hold off strong defenders with his back to goal all over the pitch as well as run at guys because he has pace AND strength. I don't think he's even close to good enough to score consistently in the EPL, at least not yet, but he's certainly better already than DCL. A bit of a different player mind you, but still better. Worth 40M? Not sure about that.

Pace and strength he has granted. I don't know how much you have seen of him but I've seen a lot and I can assure you his inability to hold to ball up is his biggest weakness. By far. Now this is something that can be rectified to an extent granted but presently it is awful.

Your assessment of Leigh Griffiths is the view that Rodgers and Strachan had initially. He has performed far better as a lone centre forward and only ever has played there for the past 3 seasons or so. And has consistently scored more and offered more of threat than dembele.

That highlights how dembele is no where near ready for this level when Griffiths is out performing you.

If Milik at Napoli has fully recovered from his cruciate injury and he has been in numerous Napoli squads without regularly playing then he would be my choice for up front. Pre injury I thought he was utterly outstanding both in club and international football. Fits the bill perfectly and currently out of favour.

If Milik at Napoli has fully recovered from his cruciate injury and he has been in numerous Napoli squads without regularly playing then he would be my choice for up front. Pre injury I thought he was utterly outstanding both in club and international football. Fits the bill perfectly and currently out of favour.
Maybe just maybe he’s out of favour because the injury has ruined his career
If he was any good he’d be getting game time

Dairy me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back