January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
because he'd go the same way as keane. Both were decided not good enough for united, then after a couple of good years at crap clubs who are set up to defend with a good base, media start thinking they'd be good enough for the top teams, when it seems fairly obvious to me they're not. He just doesn't have the personality, like keane, to succeed at the very top imo.

Then why are City and Man U interested?

We go out the cup tomorrow then I can't see any more signings this month. We've got easy enough to finish where we are.

What's the point in spending another 20-30 mil to try and finish a few places higher.
Higher in the leagues brings about some prestige, which in itself may help attract players of a higher calibre through providing a better image.

That's before the more important aspects such as helping increase the likelihood of our survival, however unlikely relegation may now appear.

Or improving the football we are playing, which in itself will provide additional time for players to gel, improve and create a set style.

Also, obviously it'll also do nothing to make the football actually somewhat enjoyable and appeasing the fans. But you know, the status quo is fine...

We go out the cup tomorrow then I can't see any more signings this month. We've got easy enough to finish where we are.

What's the point in spending another 20-30 mil to try and finish a few places higher.

Because the club will make up most of that money in places fees and possibly get into Europe again.

Higher in the leagues brings about some prestige, which in itself may help attract players of a higher calibre through providing a better image.

That's before the more important aspects such as helping increase the likelihood of our survival, however unlikely relegation may now appear.

Or improving the football we are playing, which in itself will provide additional time for players to gel, improve and create a set style.

Also, obviously it'll also do nothing to make the football actually somewhat enjoyable and appeasing the fans. But you know, the status quo is fine...
We go out the cup and we have 16 games left. I really can't see us justifying buying more players.

Because the club will make up most of that money in places fees and possibly get into Europe again.
How? We would have to finish 12 places higher than 9th to earn 30m. We can still finish 7th with this squad easily and if the cups go our way then we get EL, the same way we would get it with new players.

We aren’t out of the relegation woods yet. There aren’t 3 especially bad teams. If Newcastle beat Swansea at home and we lose to Spurs, then they will only be 2 points behind us.
There is going to be one almighty scrap to avoid that 3rd relegation place and we don’t want to sleepwalk into it.

We go out the cup and we have 16 games left. I really can't see us justifying buying more players.
Perhaps we will not splurge the cash as if we're still on a cup run, however after the debacle of this season I think Sam will really want to improve.

Like I said, although our fortunes have improved in recent weeks survival is still not guaranteed and he'll want to aim for that first and foremost.

So for that reason alone I think if the right players are available, and importantly for the right price, then we might see attempts to sign players.

Also, there's always the desire to finish higher which brings its own benefits (mentioned earlier); complacency is something we simply can't afford!

Perhaps we will not splurge the cash as if we're still on a cup run, however after the debacle of this season I think Sam will really want to improve.

Like I said, although our fortunes have improved in recent weeks survival is still not guaranteed and he'll want to aim for that first and foremost.

So for that reason alone I think if the right players are available, and importantly for the right price, then we might see attempts to sign players.

Also, there's always the desire to finish higher which brings its own benefits (mentioned earlier); complacency is something we simply can't afford!
I think we would be better selling to buy as I read somewhere we had 31 first team players. Ship some of them out then I can see us adding to the squad but can't see us adding to the current 31 with 16 games left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back