Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We actually have way too many players though. Players like Kev, Besic, etc don't need replacing as they never played. Same probably goes for Klaassen as much as it hurts me to see him failing/not given much of a chance, as there's a real player there.

None of the players we may sell/have sold have had a positive impact this season - for one reason or another - apart from Niasse. Barkley we've missed, but that was due to injury clearly.

Sam knows he needs to trim the squad. It was a squad built to go in four comps and we failed in three of them and the league is merely about trying to keep in touching distance of seventh in case we can lodge a late push for Europe (in which case we'd be in the same situation all over again, mind).

I could agree or disagree on different players but, the object still has to be, to replace superfluous players with better versions?

We actually have way too many players though. Players like Kev, Besic, etc don't need replacing as they never played. Same probably goes for Klaassen as much as it hurts me to see him failing/not given much of a chance, as there's a real player there.

None of the players we may sell/have sold have had a positive impact this season - for one reason or another - apart from Niasse. Barkley we've missed, but that was due to injury clearly.

Sam knows he needs to trim the squad. It was a squad built to go in four comps and we failed in three of them and the league is merely about trying to keep in touching distance of seventh in case we can lodge a late push for Europe (in which case we'd be in the same situation all over again, mind).

Totally agree.

This is what I would like to see the squad look like at the end of the window, as you say a few players will be moved on that maybe shouldnt be, but we really need to "trim the fat" for want of a better phrase.

Personally I would be looking at shifting :

Robles - Out of contract at the end of the season, might as well TRY and get a fee, risk if Pickford gets injured, but OH WELL.
Martina - Not happening but I can dream
Mori - Would probably keep him for now, but if we can get a better CB in, I would of course be happy to see him binned rar off
Besic - Sniff
Klaassen - If hes not gonna get games, bin off, I personally would like to see him given a freaking proper run out, but hey ho
McCarthy and Morgan - Both are worth keeping, but if we could get a better quality player in the middle of the park, well BYE!!
Beni - Loan
Lennon - Another 1 out of contract and despite his ability to do a great job for the team, we could probably do a bit better
Lookman - I would be looking at getting the boy a loan somewhere personally
DCL - Loan
Sandro - See Klaassen
Niasse - MEH

GK
Jordan Pickford*
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny

LB
Leighton Baines*
NEW LB

CB
Michael Keane*
Ashley Williams*
Phil Jagielka*
Mason Holgate
NEW CB

DM/CM/ACM
Wayne Rooney*
Idrissa Gueye
Tom Davies

Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson*
NEW CM

Wingers
Yannick Bolasie

Nikola Vlašić
NEW WINGER

Strikers
Cenk Tosun

NEW ST

Thats what my squad would like at the end of the window anyway.

Well personally I'd rather we increased the quality of players that start most weeks. The players that have left so far have hardly started a PL game all season.

I'd agree with you because, I think a settled side tends to become more of a team. However, 'people' reckon the pace of the game and distance covered, in today's footie, means that you need to rotate your players.
It's a 'squad' game and everyone needs to play?

Edit: Getting knocked out of everything that we could win, means that this is only relevant for next season..

Last edited:

Totally agree.

This is what I would like to see the squad look like at the end of the window, as you say a few players will be moved on that maybe shouldnt be, but we really need to "trim the fat" for want of a better phrase.

Personally I would be looking at shifting :

Robles - Out of contract at the end of the season, might as well TRY and get a fee, risk if Pickford gets injured, but OH WELL.
Martina - Not happening but I can dream
Mori - Would probably keep him for now, but if we can get a better CB in, I would of course be happy to see him binned rar off
Besic - Sniff
Klaassen - If hes not gonna get games, bin off, I personally would like to see him given a freaking proper run out, but hey ho
McCarthy and Morgan - Both are worth keeping, but if we could get a better quality player in the middle of the park, well BYE!!
Beni - Loan
Lennon - Another 1 out of contract and despite his ability to do a great job for the team, we could probably do a bit better
Lookman - I would be looking at getting the boy a loan somewhere personally
DCL - Loan
Sandro - See Klaassen
Niasse - MEH

GK
Jordan Pickford*
Maarten Stekelenburg

RB
Séamus Coleman
Jonjoe Kenny

LB
Leighton Baines*
NEW LB

CB
Michael Keane*
Ashley Williams*
Phil Jagielka*
Mason Holgate
NEW CB

DM/CM/ACM
Wayne Rooney*
Idrissa Gueye
Tom Davies

Gylfi Þór Sigurðsson*
NEW CM

Wingers
Yannick Bolasie
Nikola Vlašić
NEW WINGER

Strikers
Cenk Tosun

NEW ST

Leaving us with just two new strikers ?And one who is unproven, you are insane. We are only seven points clear of trouble.

A lot of what you wrote makes sense, but you can't have only 5 total wide & central attackers. Keep Lookman and DCL for heavens sake.

Buy starters, that's all I ask. Selling is fine, not sure why the attitude exists that we SHOULDN'T sell surplus, like we need to have a bloated team to feel like we are someone we are not.

So to me, a LB, Tosun is fine (although would not have been my choice) and a true box-to-box mid that can move the ball AND tackle. Warming up to Doocoure vs. N'Zonzi as he just turned 25 vs. 29, even if he isn't 6'5".

Would also LOVE a dominating CB, but I doubt it'll happen.

I agree if they don't play and hard ever have played for the club, what's the point in them being here. No fan can miss Klassen or Sandro they must be on massive wages so we are best getting rid. In a way I'd be sad to see Niasse go because I think he has proved himself not to be a to bad player, but if someone comes calling with a decent fee, it's likely he will get more football away from here so it will be good for him.
Not sure when Niasse proved himself to be anything other than a trier. He has been kept out of the team by a U23 player with no goals and we have no alternative strikers.... he is unpredictable and gets a few goals that way but there is still no way he’s Everton standard

You are on crack. But at least you are indicating that you think BOTH are liabilities, which still doesn't change the fact that we need a new LB pronto. So maybe you just took a crack pipe hit, but don't have an addiction.
Of course they are both liabilities but liabilities we can live with until the summer unless the right player becomes available when then we need to sign Baines' long term replacement not a CB that can also play there.

I could agree or disagree on different players but, the object still has to be, to replace superfluous players with better versions?

Superfluous players are superfluous for a reason, they don't need replacing. We still have the same gaps in the squad that Koeman was talking about in August - left-back, and an extra striker if Niasse goes.

Not necessarily. Small squads generally have a better atmosphere. The last couple of years was a case of how not to do it. It will help just getting rid and not replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back