Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

He should be at the AGM tonight and questioned how he has managed to spend a quarter of a billion pounds in 18 months to make us worse than we were.

..I think it would be very fair to ask what part Walsh played in bringing in that group of players in the Summer. Surely as DoF he is responsible for the playing strategy and the identification of targets yet we ended up with such an unbalanced squad with little or no athleticism (pace, strength, power, agility) to play in a league where those attributes are vital.

..I think it would be very fair to ask what part Walsh played in bringing in that group of players in the Summer. Surely as DoF he is responsible for the playing strategy and the identification of targets yet we ended up with such an unbalanced squad with little or no athleticism (pace, strength, power, agility) to play in a league where those attributes are vital.

Wouldn't shock me if most of the signings were over-ruled by Koeman and we've barely seen any players Walsh specifically wanted (Tosun?).

Yeah

Ronk took the brunt of it but a big chunk of his problems were down to Walsh

Bad appointment and hard to fix because the very point of a DOF is stability

I concur

He's been a massive failure IMO

Imo he has been a hit and miss, I think he does ok, not every signing is gona shoot the lights out.

Amongst the dross is

Gana
Lookman
Onyekuru (maybe)
Pickford (was not such a "undiscovered one"
Vlasic

All will have considerable transfer fees if they leave.

So his job was to find these, but i imagine it's also to be alert for well known players in dodgy contract situations and available etc he has done ok imo.

But I do feel we don't need to buy these unknowns and build them. Takes too much time we need to go for the throat on big name players. Already swallow up players in our "league" and below. Mahrez, Zaha, Lanzini etc show our dominance with cold hard cash. Gylfi was a good example here, he is doing fine now. Great buy will get better with time and with better around him. It's always going to be tough getting big names in without champion league, we not even sure about europa league anymore!

Really hoping summer recruitment is brought up, but I doubt it. The directors and board are very close knit and seem to have each other's backs, which is a shame, and nobody can be held accountable for the many mistakes in the last 12-18 months.

Celtic don't need to sell him right now though.

By all accounts he's a very level headed lad, with decent parents and they've publicly stated that Celtic is the right place at the moment for him to develop, hence the signing of a long contract. Plus he's a Glasgow lad and the fans adore him.

Which in effect means he can choose when he leaves and Celtic will get a big wedge on his transfer, as he'll still have years left on his contract when he's sold.

Arsenal for one, have been linked with him for a couple of years now.

He isn't coming to us and will go for much more than 20mil.

There's an absolute dearth of top quality left backs around too.

My point is the top clubs dont often sign players like Tierney, Wanayama, VVD they wait to see if they establish themselves at clubs like us, Saints in the premier league then get them.

Dont be foolish to think the likes of Arsenal, City etc. Are bothered about signing him for £40 million from us if he's proven quality in the league than take a £20 million chance on him from scotland and if he flops and the side dont finish top 3/4 the manager gets the bullet.

landscape_showbiz-dani-behr.jpg

Defo got her plastic surgeon on speed dial.
I’d still try and give her the best 30 secs of her life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back