Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the last transfer that was just like completely out of nowhere?

Every transfer we seem to have done for a while usually follows, weeks of being linked with player, weeks of negotiating and renegotiating, weeks of SAS style medical and then signing... by the time the player signs the excitement has gone out of it.

I know the world has changed and everything is leaked and speculated these days, we just dont seem to be linked with very many which says to me we could be way early in our drawn out process

Vlasic about 4 months ago, Pickford a couple of months before that, both came out of nowhere as far as strong rumours.

Last edited:
But we'd get battered.

And why would any Evertonian want us to get battered?

Weird post.

Ever not just thought that we have got targets lined up but maybe would rather go for a long-term solution in the summer that won't be available this window, and as such maybe Sam will give Garbutt and maybe even Galloway (should he come back) every chance to impress first?

Don't get me wrong, we need a left-back, but for the sake of four months in a season that is all-but over, if our first choice is available in June but not now, then maybe it's worth hanging on, rather than buying a stop-gap this window.

Just a thought.
I didn't say I want Everton to get battered mate. If the money is there, then we should have no excuse to not sign a left back NOW.

But we'd get battered.

Weird post.

Ever not just thought that we have got targets lined up but maybe would rather go for a long-term solution in the summer that won't be available this window, and as such maybe Sam will give Garbutt and maybe even Galloway (should he come back) every chance to impress first?

Don't get me wrong, we need a left-back, but for the sake of four months in a season that is all-but over, if our first choice is available in June but not now, then maybe it's worth hanging on, rather than buying a stop-gap this window.

Just a thought.

Can we afford to throw the whole balance of the team out of sinc for the rest of the season?

Would we have settled with going the rest of the season with DCL, Sandro and Niasse up front?

Every position in the team is as vital as the next.

If we are carrying one player in the side, then the balance of that team is disrupted. Which is what is happening week in week out while Martina continues at left back.

Its not as if he is getting any better in that position.

We need a left back, pronto.

But we'd get battered.

Weird post.

Just a thought.

Garbutt has been utterly dreadful since about three good games four years ago, Galloway the same after a handful of decent performances about two/three years ago. Both haven't been able to cut it at lower teams on loan and have been bombed out of those loans, says a lot if we think they are good enough to cover even short term mate.

We have needed a left back since a year and a half ago, that need became massive last summer and not getting one shows the flaws with recruitment and scouting at this team.

Can go on about our target not maybe bring available etc, but that's bs frankly, we are hardly at the point we need the very best or there's no point like say a city or Chelsea etc, we have currently the worst left back in the league playing, and our nominal starter is broken down by injury and age to be frankly not good enough any more.

Garbutt has been utterly dreadful since about three good games four years ago, Galloway the same after a handful of decent performances about two/three years ago. Both haven't been able to cut it at lower teams on loan and have been bombed out of those loans, says a lot if we think they are good enough to cover even short term mate.

We have needed a left back since a year and a half ago, that need became massive last summer and not getting one shows the flaws with recruitment and scouting at this team.

Can go on about our target not maybe bring available etc, but that's bs frankly, we are hardly at the point we need the very best or there's no point like say a city or Chelsea etc, we have currently the worst left back in the league playing, and our nominal starter is broken down by injury and age to be frankly not good enough any more.

I always thought that one of the jobs of the DOF was to identifty transfer target (S), inc back ups, in case the first choice target isn`t available ?

But then again, what do I know

It was just a suggestion that this may be the case. Based on Allardyce saying that he was giving himself time to assess players who weren't registered with the squad.

I am pretty confident we'll move for a left-back this window, we probably already have done, it just hasn't been picked up by the media.

Hahahahah

Says the one saying (about 40000x) that we should sign a winger because you think he's a left back

You're so clueless about actual football it's a joke Dave, sorry
Ha Ha. You dont think wide players have been successfully adapted to a LB berth?

...and I'M the one clueless about football.

*sigh*

Can we afford to throw the whole balance of the team out of sinc for the rest of the season?

Would we have settled with going the rest of the season with DCL, Sandro and Niasse up front?

Every position in the team is as vital as the next.

If we are carrying one player in the side, then the balance of that team is disrupted. Which is what is happening week in week out while Martina continues at left back.

Its not as if he is getting any better in that position.

We need a left back, pronto.

I agree.

But Everton.

LEFT BACK.

And i'm just reminding supporters of our club, what an absolute disgraceful situation this is.

If, as has been posted on here previously, that we can only concentrate on on signing at a time, IMO, it is imperative that the club focuses on this position, above all else.

As mentioned in the AGM, Baines has broken down in training and his return has been delayed.

How much longer is a club who has ambitions of greatness again, going to continue with a second rate right back playing first choice left back?

Don't know about anyone else but i'd rather not be reminded until I see the team sheet.

I didn't say I want Everton to get battered mate. If the money is there, then we should have no excuse to not sign a left back NOW.

Just say we want Tierney.

Tierney is open to a move to us, but won't leave Celtic this window and Celtic won't sell.

We see Tierney as the left-back for the next decade... or as a player we can make a huge profit on if needs be.

Is it worth then going out and spending £15m on a stop-gap this month, and jeopardising that move, or - should Garbutt impress in training - 'go with what we've got' for four months.

I'm not saying it's the right approach. I'm not saying that is what is happening. But, it could be a possibility.

My personal opinion is that we'll get a left-back in the next two weeks. But we'll see some more players cleared out, first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back