Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may be very tight on wages due to early cup & Europe exits and the fact Barkley hung around pulling an extra £1m in wages. I think the bigger thing is Sam feels the squad is too bloated. Assuming we conclude Keane, Sandro & Klaassen need a longer look then we can only bring in e.g. CB or CM if we shift some out. You could see Besic going perhaps but I doubt Sam wants to make a quick decision on someone like Schneiderlin. He won’t push Jags out of the door a few months early and Williams seems to be first choice for him. Hard to see much happening in January despite the normal press burble.

Massive GGGGRRRRRRRRRR

We spent money on unknowns who haven’t worked out and we have done again on Tosun which may or may not. 20m in today’s market is not much and at least with Walcott we know he has goals. I have no doubt we will get a better return for 20m on Walcott than the 27m on Tosun, 45 on Gylfi and 25 on Klaasen.

We spent money on unknowns who haven’t worked out and we have done again on Tosun which may or may not. 20m in today’s market is not much and at least with Walcott we know he has goals. I have no doubt we will get a better return for 20m on Walcott than the 27m on Tosun, 45 on Gylfi and 25 on Klaasen.
You know what, if Bolasie is worth 27m 18 months ago, then Walcott is worth about 400m in today's market! A snip at 20m.

There was someone in the DCL thread suggesting Hernandez should replace DCL, I laughed so much I forgot to post my thoughts . Big Sam’s team talk “ Right “ little pea” , when Jordan lumps the ball forward your job is to outjump the big defenders and head the ball on. Or better still , leap up and bring the ball down on your chest , use your strength to hold off the defenders until the midfielders arrive. “ We’re buying him then.
Moyes would be similar
"listen Wee Pea, I need you to run the channels, get down the wings towards the corner flags dragging defenders out of place. This will provide vital space for Mark Noble to arrive in the box late and Tim Cahill the arse outta any defence!

To be perfectly honest and this is something I’d never have imagined me saying
If we don’t get a our first choice LB I’d rather play Martina /Baines till the end of the season.
We shouldn’t panic buy.
I can’t see us getting relegated and don’t see us getting 7 th so we should only be buying players who will stay in the first 11 for the next 2/3 seasons.
If Rose goes to Manure and Spurs don’t take Shaw I’d go for him either now or in the summer.
Ideally Tierney but as I’ve said that ain’t happening

As people may have gathered, i believe we should be targeting a left back in this window.

As has been shown so far this season, we cannot rely on Leighton to cover this position on his own.

Yes , i realise that we have only 15 competitive games left this season, probably 12 by the the time Leighton gets back fully fit and fingers crossed he stays fit for the remaining games.

But, while we continue to play Martina at left back, don't expect to see us turning defence into attack quickly, because , if you watch us defending, we have 2, players assisting Martina on the left side of our defence. So when we do look to break out and hit teams on the break, we, straight away ,have 2/3 players out of position. This is why we see the long ball up to DCL, who then tries to hold it up while the support arrives.

I don't want us to panic buy one. We should not be in the position of panic buying one. Surely everybody involved with the day to day management of the 1st team knows that we need cover in this position.

As i have said before, when we failed to sign a left sided defender in the summer ( which we all recognised was needed), our DOF/ scouting network, should, by now, have identified possible targets to pursue in this transfer window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back