Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
...no problem, Mikey.

It’s important to remember they are only ‘rumours’ but I think it is possible to read something into the defender links. Soumaoro appears to have been on our radar for a few months, I wonder if the Konsa deal might put that one on the back burner for now. Also, the Galloway one makes sense if we are not able to bring in a LB target this month.

Think we are entirely dependant on what United do in terms of us signing a left back mate, IF they do, we will get Shaw in from them, if they don't then can't see us getting one this window as we will leave it till the last hoping to get in Shaw.

Risky mind as means we could end up with Martina all season long

You say that Ste but for some reason, and I’m probably wrong, I’m thinking he played on the right against West Ham when he made his debut?

Towards the end of the season - think we won 2-1. He got ripped by Downing for them to go 1 up and then Lukaku won it late. Osman scored our first.

Nah mate Coleman played that day and Baines was out injured, you're right about him being ripped by Downing for the goal mind, but Downing was playing right side that day

The window doesn't close today,
Let's wait and see what happens.
The players you would like to sign are generally the players clubs do not want to sell.

Isn't this the case for most transfers?

I doubt we really wanted to sell Stones, Lukaku or Barkley.

Swansea didn't really want to sell Williams or Siggy

Southampton didnt really want to sell VVD.

RS really didn't want to sell Cutiniho.

The list goes on.

We have waited to see what happens since Southampton away in November, when Baines got injured.

Since then we have gone out of the FA Cup and are currently on a run of 5 games without a win with Spurs away up next.

..he came through the youth ranks as a CB. He’s certainly left sided and had a reasonably impressive run for us at LB when Baines was injured.

Neil Dewsnip was his England manager. Dewsnip was a local schoolteacher before moving to Everton as a youth coach and I suspect it was him who gave us the heads-up to sign this lad.

Got absolutely tore apart by Shaqiri in the Stoke game and don't think he played for us again after that i seem to recall...

Genuine question mate, do you say Galloway is a ‘natural centre back’ because that’s your perception when watching him, or because that’s where he played in youth football? I’m just curious why so many people are sure he’s a centre back because when i’ve Watched him i’ve Never got the sense that I did with browning/Pennington/stones etc, who all looked obvious centre backs out of position. I’ve said before that Galloway has talent, but i’m Not sure he has an obvious position.

Mainly because it's what all coaches who've worked with him and have commented on him have said mate, the same way people have done with Holgate also. it's also where he was getting played routinely in the under 23's the same season we started him a few games at left back.

I'm guessing half his problems have come from the fact hew hasn't matured enough to be trusted at cb (or capable of it) and he is not good enough as a left back naturally.

Really desperately hope Allardyce is actively looking to offload one of Jagielka and Williams now, and the other in the summer. Surely Stekelenberg must be leaving this window, and Besic too. Lennon looks like a goer, and Niasse appears to have several clubs sniffing after him and the first decent offer we get we'll likely accept.

Mirallas
Barkley
Williams
Stekelenberg
Besic
Lennon
Niasse

That's a LOT of deadwood removed from the squad, and around 300k a week saved in wages. Just need to rid ourselves of Martina, Schneiderlin and McCarthy then, once we plug the gaps in the squad, we should be able to feel positive about next season.
Sell them all!

Is he a left back?

I thought he was a centre back/right back the same as Holgate?

I may be wrong.

No he is a left footer...think he would prefer centre back to left back he played quite a few games for us as left back a few seasons ago. Browning is a right back/centre back

Genuine question mate, do you say Galloway is a ‘natural centre back’ because that’s your perception when watching him, or because that’s where he played in youth football? I’m just curious why so many people are sure he’s a centre back because when i’ve Watched him i’ve Never got the sense that I did with browning/Pennington/stones etc, who all looked obvious centre backs out of position. I’ve said before that Galloway has talent, but i’m Not sure he has an obvious position.

My opinion of him having watched him, he's not a natural left back as he doesn't have the 'sense' of whats going on in front or behind him, and has no end product, and he hasn't got the build or natural instinct to play cb.

In short, physically talented - decent technique, good speed etc but not a natural player if that makes any sense

Nah mate Coleman played that day and Baines was out injured, you're right about him being ripped by Downing for the goal mind, but Downing was playing right side that day

Thought he played right-back for some reason but thought I was probably wrong. I kept remembering he got slaughtered for the goal and that loads were defending him for playing out of position.

Ah well.

What's going on with that 'tarashaj' matey, I know he got injured but he certainly didn't light up the premiership or bundesliga once he got on the pitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back