Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tosun was less than 20 up front, Walcott we are bidding about 18-20m? Shaw won't go for much more than 20 up front then addons on top etc, Dendonker or the french lad - both around the 15-20m mark.

So far what we've spent (19.8m) has basically been covered by Barkley being sold and the loan fee for Mirallas and the couple of academy lads we have let go.

Niasse will go for 13m or so, which not far off covers the fee for Walcott, say throw in Besic going and that's almost balanced out.

Buy Shaw - thats about a 20-25 mil net spend if no one else leaves at all

Shaw has not shown any kind of form since his injury. His crossing is really poor too and he is on big wages. I would steer clear.

Shaw has not shown any kind of form since his injury. His crossing is really poor too and he is on big wages. I would steer clear.

Depends mate, in what your steering towards staying clear of Shaw, if it's Martina mark 2 you will end up with then may as well go Shaws way instead as he is massively better

At least Lookman and Vlasic have an excuse, theyve barely played any minutes and are really young.

Lennon doesnt. But I do agree that anyone would be hard pressed to argue Lookman or Vlasic will play better than Walcott at that position for at least the next year or so.

I don't think anyone was saying that. It was that Lennon could be sold IF we got Walcott and players like Lookman or Vlasic would be fine as backups. Allows us to sell Lennon and move his salary.

I'm also in the "we still have stuff to play for" camp. Get a real LB in and this team, provided our CBs don't go to hell, and we can play with anyone outside of the top 6. And even them on a bad day.

Now my assumption is that Tosun is a marked improvement and that Walcott is effective opposite of Bolaisse. We'd be even better with a midfield engine like Doucoure to jump start our transitions, but if we got Tosun, Walcott, and a LB that was decent, I'll be pretty happy. Still doesn't make us great, but better than everyone else with the possible exception of LCFC.

Playing him because young is injured, helps drive any asking price up too, 100% Mourinho will ship him off the moment he manages to get a left back in mate

I think you mean Valencia is injured as then young was switched to the right which allowed Shaw back into the team. Young was then suspended for as off the ball offence.

Cant see United selling Shaw in this window, I also believe they have an option on his contract.

Yeah - a local kid who was Born in Zimbabwe - lived there till he was 6, was then raised in Buckinghamshire and who we bought from MK Dons at 18 years old, local as they get really
Not really sure why his country is relevant considering he moved when he was 6 but I take the rest of your point.

I forgot he wasn't an academy player but it is a minor point. The fact is the fans will give him the benefit of the doubt which will allow us to limp on till the summer.

Personally and I have given my thoughts on this before but we should just continue with Martina there unless our long term target becomes available. He's awful but he's actually funny enough better on the left than he is on the right and I don't want us to suffer long term consequences for very little short term gain. The season is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back