Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very good player Eggs. David Silva type in style. Had a bad time with injuries over last couple of years (2 bad ones including ACL). Still only 24. Very surprised Barca are letting him go (yes he is that good Eggs) so I'm wondering if the injuries are the reason.

Would be shocked if he came to us.

Barca need to let some players go to rebalance after Coutinho’s wages. They had a ridiculously high wages to income ratio so with him and Dembele now in the squad I’m sure tyey’ll He looking to move fringe players on. If we offer enough why not us?

Don't mind Lennon moving on tbh. I like the lad for his work rate and what he does defensively but he's not got a lot to offer in the attacking department. Doubt we'll be getting owt for him cash wise but more off the wage budget can't hurt.

I agree I wouldn't play JJ (or Seamus for that matter) as a winger. But I think you're being a bit unfair on JJ if you're assuming/insinuating that he is not capable of playing attacking football. If you followed him for the U23s or at International level you would know that bombing forward is a big part of his game.

He's come in to an underperforming team and done very well on the whole, mainly defensively. Initially he was making forward runs that our dysfunctional midfield weren't spotting, and often possession was turned over with JJ out of position. He either learned very quickly that he needed to put defence first, or he was following orders, but there's no doubt that the lad's adventurous tendencies have been curtailed.

But he has the makings of a fine all round FB and long term replacement for Seamus (if we can keep both of them happy that is). But both need to play as FBs or WBs.
I meant it on the basis that it was said to play him on the wing ahead of Coleman, which I replied saying I'd do it the opposite way if I had to because we've seen little attacking play from JJ so far.

Appreciate your point though and certainly he could be very good In the future

Tosun was less than 20 up front, Walcott we are bidding about 18-20m? Shaw won't go for much more than 20 up front then addons on top etc, Dendonker or the french lad - both around the 15-20m mark.

So far what we've spent (19.8m) has basically been covered by Barkley being sold and the loan fee for Mirallas and the couple of academy lads we have let go.

Niasse will go for 13m or so, which not far off covers the fee for Walcott, say throw in Besic going and that's almost balanced out.

Buy Shaw - thats about a 20-25 mil net spend if no one else leaves at all
I stand corrected
Sky reported the fee as 27 m

I meant it on the basis that it was said to play him on the wing ahead of Coleman, which I replied saying I'd do it the opposite way if I had to because we've seen little attacking play from JJ so far.

Appreciate your point though and certainly he could be very good In the future

If we had a right hand side of Kenny at RB and Coleman at RM, we should not be conceding goals from that side of the pitch. I like the idea as Coleman always has been a more attacking than defensive over the years.

Could work out well if we do play them in those positions as it would mean anyone playing DM wouldn't need to cover that side as much and would be able to better position themselves more on the left (defensively). Would make our formation a bit asymmetric but I feel like they have always been a bit that way with Leighton going forward on the left over the years and the DM slotting in to cover. Might be one to trial in the pre-season friendlies rather than middle of the season.

If we had a right hand side of Kenny at RB and Coleman at RM, we should not be conceding goals from that side of the pitch. I like the idea as Coleman always has been a more attacking than defensive over the years.

Could work out well if we do play them in those positions as it would mean anyone playing DM wouldn't need to cover that side as much and would be able to better position themselves more on the left (defensively). Would make our formation a bit asymmetric but I feel like they have always been a bit that way with Leighton going forward on the left over the years and the DM slotting in to cover. Might be one to trial in the pre-season friendlies rather than middle of the season.
I have to agree. On paper it makes sense, in practice who knows. We're likely signing walcott anyway so the idea will probably never come into fruition.

The squad as it is now boggles my mind, it's hard enough trying to pick our best XI with a full squad let alone injuries and such.

One thing I will note is our team lacks any partnerships. Real chemistry.

Think Baines/Pienaar, Jags/Lescott - there is none of this in our squad atm.

I have to agree. On paper it makes sense, in practice who knows. We're likely signing walcott anyway so the idea will probably never come into fruition.

The squad as it is now boggles my mind, it's hard enough trying to pick our best XI with a full squad let alone injuries and such.

One thing I will note is our team lacks any partnerships. Real chemistry.

Think Baines/Pienaar, Jags/Lescott - there is none of this in our squad atm.

Yeah it's tough to think of any really. Clutching at straws but could be argued again that man Kenny and Lennon have done well when they've got themselves up the pitch in 2v2 situations. Both won penalties against Swansea with their interplay.

Does make sense that not a lot of our play is coming off as we wanted when majority of the starting eleven arrived at the club in the last 18 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back