Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant it on the basis that it was said to play him on the wing ahead of Coleman, which I replied saying I'd do it the opposite way if I had to because we've seen little attacking play from JJ so far.

Appreciate your point though and certainly he could be very good In the future
Yeah. I was 90% through my reply when I realised that and just fudged it in the end so I agreed with your point.

I have to agree. On paper it makes sense, in practice who knows. We're likely signing walcott anyway so the idea will probably never come into fruition.

The squad as it is now boggles my mind, it's hard enough trying to pick our best XI with a full squad let alone injuries and such.

One thing I will note is our team lacks any partnerships. Real chemistry.

Think Baines/Pienaar, Jags/Lescott - there is none of this in our squad atm.
Think both should play as FB or WB personally. Seamus done it when he was younger and never been that good with his back to goal, despite that nutmeg turn in the 3-0 against the Arse.

People need to move on from Baines and Coleman bombing down the wings from full back. It was a marvel, nobody else was doing it, it was right at the time. Things have moved on, it was a Leicester moment, but it's passed. Trying to buy players to replicate that won't work because it's been figured out now.
I'm happy to have a back 4 that can defend and let's get an attacking line up that compliment it.
A strong defensive left back should be priority.

Been watching a fair bit of Serie A this season and I reckon if (and it's a big if) we decide to get a manager who actually attacks / lets us play actual football next season I reckon we should have a gander at Lucas Torreira, and Federico Chiesa - both would add some much needed creativity, versatility and class to our midfield / attack (Chiesa seems to play anywhere from winger, to attacking mid, to centre mid)

People need to move on from Baines and Coleman bombing down the wings from full back. It was a marvel, nobody else was doing it, it was right at the time. Things have moved on, it was a Leicester moment, but it's passed. Trying to buy players to replicate that won't work because it's been figured out now.
I'm happy to have a back 4 that can defend and let's get an attacking line up that compliment it.
A strong defensive left back should be priority.

I think the whole wing-backs thing does work - problem is that for it to work you either need to dominate possession, which we won't under Allardyce, or have quality wingers cutting inside frequently to open up spaces for them to utilise and a good target man for them to aim for when they get the ball - unfortunately we don't really have any of this (barring maybe Lookman, but he's still probably a bit raw to be asked to consistently perform)

I think the whole wing-backs thing does work - problem is that for it to work you either need to dominate possession, which we won't under Allardyce, or have quality wingers cutting inside frequently to open up spaces for them to utilise and a good target man for them to aim for when they get the ball - unfortunately we don't really have any of this (barring maybe Lookman, but he's still probably a bit raw to be asked to consistently perform)
I agree,, therefore the answer is to have defensive full backs, and expressive wingers ahead of them. We've already started down this route spending £28 million on Bolasie. Walcott on the other side will complete that system, if we have full backs that can defend.

Very good player Eggs. David Silva type in style. Had a bad time with injuries over last couple of years (2 bad ones including ACL). Still only 24. Very surprised Barca are letting him go (yes he is that good Eggs) so I'm wondering if the injuries are the reason.

Would be shocked if he came to us.

16/17 Meniscus injur Apr 3, 2017 Dec 25, 2017 266 days 39
16/17 Thigh problems Mar 9, 2017 Mar 16, 2017 7 days 1
16/17 Nasal fracture Feb 5, 2017 Feb 13, 2017 8 days 2
16/17 Achilles tendon problems Jan 15, 2017 Jan 31, 2017 16 days 4
16/17 Rib bruise Oct 21, 2016 Oct 28, 2016 7 days 1
15/16 Muscular problems May 22, 2016 Jul 31, 2016 70 days 1
15/16 Adductor problems Apr 11, 2016 Apr 19, 2016 8 days 2
15/16 Cruciate Ligament Rupture Sep 17, 2015 Mar 31, 2016 196 days 45
14/15 Hamstring Injury Nov 13, 2014 Nov 20, 2014 7 days -

Would suggest the reason they have given up on him mate 7 separate injuries in 19 months since returning from a cruciate knee injury suggests he's a broken biscuit now, 95 games missed through injury alone in less than the last 2 1/2 seasons

I stand corrected
Sky reported the fee as 27 m

Sky talk out of their arsehole mate.

We paid 19.8m up front, a further 4.5 - 5m in achievable bonuses and a 10% sell on clause as well was the deal as reported in the media all over Turkey and from more reputable sources here such as Joyce/Hunter etc.

Then again Sky still report the Suarez fee as the one lfc stated, they report the Lukaku fee at 75m, they report Bolasie again at 27m, when it was actually a 20m deal with again a lot of addons for the 27m figure which he hasn't got close to yet etc

....before I nip out for my Racing Post, here’s a summary of transfer rumours for this Saturday morning:

- According to Italian media source, Calcio Mercato, Everton have made an offer to Barcelona for attacking midfielder, Rafinha. The 24 year old has recently recovered from a serious knee injury and is yet to feature in La Liga this season. The report suggests an initial loan with a view to a permanent €20m deal.

- The Daily Mail and other outlets quote Sam Allardyce’s confirmation that Everton are pursuing Arsenal’s Theo Walcott. Southampton are also keen on the player.

- The South London Press say Everton are about to conclude the £4m Transfer of 20 year old centre back Ezri Konsa from Charlton Athletic.

- 4th Official report Newcastle interest in Everton striker, Oumar Niasse.

- Various outlets confirm 21 year old Everton midfielder, Harry Charsley, has joined Bolton Wanderers on loan until the end of this season.

Been watching a fair bit of Serie A this season and I reckon if (and it's a big if) we decide to get a manager who actually attacks / lets us play actual football next season I reckon we should have a gander at Lucas Torreira, and Federico Chiesa - both would add some much needed creativity, versatility and class to our midfield / attack (Chiesa seems to play anywhere from winger, to attacking mid, to centre mid)

Lucas Torreira has been linked a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back