Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
May have been mentioned already but I think for the next 2-3 seasons we should adopt a primary transfer strategy of going after the squad players from the sides in the top 6 that have proven themselves to be good enough for a top 6 team, but aren't quite at the level of a top 4 team and aren't wanted by those clubs. Expecting to just sign a load of new players in the summer and then challenge instantly for the top 4/5 was never going to work, and we need to be adding proven quality to cement ourselves as 'best of the rest' before making the next step. Pickford has been a good signing but going after the likes of Keane and Sigurdsson from bottom half sides for large fees seems daft when we could be getting better for a similar price.

The players I am talking about would have experience playing in Europe, challenging for trophies, and know what it's like to win big games etc. Flair players/goalscorers ideally. Which is why I think Walcott would be a good addition for where we are at the moment.

Some may turn their noses up at us, but it's worth a try....players like Wilshire/Walcott/Welbeck from Arsenal would be a good starting point and are far far better than what the sides below us have in their squads, and would improve our first 11. We wouldn't be fighting it out with the Watfords and Burnley's if we added those to our squad.

The worry for me with the type of player you mention is whether they've got any hunger and desire left when they perceive themselves to be taking a step down. For example, I just can't see Shaw, who has reportedly had some issues with professionalism at United wanting to knuckle down with us. He's earned too much, too soon and I can just see him running down his career and taking the money for as little effort as possible.

Considering the stats from yesterday and for months before you'd think Walsh and co would have had more than the Turkish kid lined up and signed. Then again were talking about everton aren't we. Transfer deadline day beckons with moshers ringing jim white laying on new cracking signings only for Kevin long to sign. No one half decent will sign for everton at the moment unless theyre desperate to leave. When you'e linked with players palace are going for you know it's time up. Even Silva is considering wolves over us.
Tbf Wolves does have other factors e.g. Mendes connection

The worry for me with the type of player you mention is whether they've got any hunger and desire left when they perceive themselves to be taking a step down. For example, I just can't see Shaw, who has reportedly had some issues with professionalism at United wanting to knuckle down with us. He's earned too much, too soon and I can just see him running down his career and taking the money for as little effort as possible.

Our strategy should follow Spurs. Develop young players from our academy, scout lower leagues/foreign leagues for up and coming talent and buy proven PL talent strategically( in areas where we need them!) who are below the age of 25.This whole cherry picking from Top six bloated squads or the best player from relegation fodder hasn't worked for us. We need to build a hungry vibrant squad look at Spurs we weren't far away from them until a few years ago.

Sandro would have scored about the same as DCL maybe. Because we don’t axtually create any chances for the striker Tel.

We haven’t seen enough of them mate. But people who actually make decisions have.

Well I have seen enough of lookman and vlasic to know they should have had more game time. The people "who actually make decisions" have seen them too but decide not to play them.

I believe if we don't buy a left back this window, we will not achieve 42 points
Every other manager has sussed our weakness out, just watch spurs tactics, we need to bolster this area, whatever the cost.

I'm still baffled that theres not one player at the club, at any level, deemed more suitable to play left back than cuco Martina,
Never mind at any other team in the world that we could sign
I can't work this out either, he might be a nice guy, it's not his fault we got him to the club, but he just isn't very good at football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back