Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schneiderlin isn't playing well but doesn't become a poor player overnight, he was our best player when he landed last year IMO

The system we are playing without the quality upfront on holding the ball up just makes the ball come back to you all the time

Shouts to have a major clear-out are daft, we still need an experienced squad, on saying that I also think Mirallas will go and maybe Williams, back to Swansea to keep them up.

Talk of letting Sandro and Klaassen go after half a season is just mental
Agree regarding an experienced squad and I never mentioned Sandro or Klassen....they should be given a chance imo. Just do not want to see any of the young lads sacrificed on the altar of hoofball and mercenaries brought in....oh wait....

Agree regarding an experienced squad and I never mentioned Sandro or Klassen....they should be given a chance imo. Just do not want to see any of the young lads sacrificed on the altar of hoofball and mercenaries brought in....oh wait....

I think sandro and klassen should be given a run of games if we manage to distance ourselves from the relagation fight... one cost to much money to not give a chance and the other has potential and has shown improvement in his last two appearances. I agree with you on the youngesters and unfortunatley think that lookman, kenny, vlasic, benni and Davies will all suffer from sams appointment .... I really hope I'm wrong

I think sandro and klassen should be given a run of games if we manage to distance ourselves from the relagation fight... one cost to much money to not give a chance and the other has potential and has shown improvement in his last two appearances. I agree with you on the youngesters and unfortunatley think that lookman, kenny, vlasic, benni and Davies will all suffer from sams appointment .... I really hope I'm wrong

..I never get this ‘given a run of games’ theory. Allardyce is like any other manager, he’ll want to win football matches. He may not pick the same players we’d have picked but he won’t give players a run for the sake of it. Players will get opportunities and it will be up to them to take them but if they fail they’ll be out.

..I never get this ‘given a run of games’ theory. Allardyce is like any other manager, he’ll want to win football matches. He may not pick the same players we’d have picked but he won’t give players a run for the sake of it. Players will get opportunities and it will be up to them to take them but if they fail they’ll be out.

Allardyce like a lot of other managers will play who he regards as 'buying into his ideas' and who he believes will execute what he wants best.

He will bring in during January people he reckons for a 4 month period he can motivate to perform and who will give him what he needs - longer term those players will usually be a terrible purchase (but short term it will work)

He is someone who 100% has had favourites that have followed him from club to club though, which i have no idea who will be - but wouldn't be shocked if 1-2 players minimum who'd he had at west ham/palace or Sunderland came in during January

Allardyce like a lot of other managers will play who he regards as 'buying into his ideas' and who he believes will execute what he wants best.

He will bring in during January people he reckons for a 4 month period he can motivate to perform and who will give him what he needs - longer term those players will usually be a terrible purchase (but short term it will work)

He is someone who 100% has had favourites that have followed him from club to club though, which i have no idea who will be - but wouldn't be shocked if 1-2 players minimum who'd he had at west ham/palace or Sunderland came in during January

..he’s a difficult one to predict, given some of the players he took to Bolton. I think a lot will depend on our predicament in January.

Sense as usual mate.

I should imagine that part of his remit will be to look at the squad and get rid of the turds, even if it means booting out some of Moonheads expensive flops and senior players.

..he’s a difficult one to predict, given some of the players he took to Bolton. I think a lot will depend on our predicament in January.

Look at the england first squad he named for maybe some clues.

Antonio was given his first call up (and maybe only?) by him - so a decent chance he'd go for him i think, Walcott also given a recall after a long time without a call up, so would guess thats another we could sniff around.

Sturridge, Vardy and Kane the only cf's - he omitted Defoe which is telling as well.

3 of that list are more than likely gonna be 'gettable' during January and all 3 kind of fill areas we lack in terms of pace or being a decent striker

Wouldn't shock me to see him bringing in an 'experienced' cb, and then maybe any two from Antonio/Walcott/Vardy for example

The good news is Allardyce has a month to learn exactly what he needs in January.

The bad news is he'll only get one of his targets, at best.

People tend to forget that it was actually the January Windows that enabled Allardyce to save both Sunderland and Palace from the abyss. At Sunderland he signed Defoe, Kirchkoff and Lamine Kone who all contributed massively to their survival and at Palace he signed Milojojevic and Sakho on loan who were key reasons Palace were able to turn it around. The point being I'm expecting to be pleasantly surprised in January, as bang average a manager Allardyce is he usually has a trick up his sleeve.

Run of games means give them time to adapt before shipping them out the door and making a loss on klassen and maybe watching sandro turn into a 30m player at another club

People tend to forget that it was actually the January Windows that enabled Allardyce to save both Sunderland and Palace from the abyss. At Sunderland he signed Defoe, Kirchkoff and Lamine Kone who all contributed massively to their survival and at Palace he signed Milojojevic and Sakho on loan who were key reasons Palace were able to turn it around. The point being I'm expecting to be pleasantly surprised in January, as bang average a manager Allardyce is he usually has a trick up his sleeve.

I hope Walsh has a few lined up as well, otherwise what has he been doing since the last transfer window closed? We need to be much more decisive in this window. I would say we need to line up a number of targets and if we don't get our primary targets, we need to move on fast to our secondary ones, we cannot afford to dither and wait around until the last day

I hope Walsh has a few lined up as well, otherwise what has he been doing since the last transfer window closed? We need to be much more decisive in this window. I would say we need to line up a number of targets and if we don't get our primary targets, we need to move on fast to our secondary ones, we cannot afford to dither and wait around until the last day
I honestly think we will see the best out of Walsh now (he says hopefully). I think Koeman just did his own thing and hid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back