January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
..yep, you seem convinced about that and you might be right. You have to think there’s some reason he’s leaving it until the last minute before registering Garbutt.

Heard a few whispers about it before the window ever opened mate, and from lads who support Man U not us

I can't wait until all our 'old guard' are gone. Stinking the place out something rotten and have done long enough to stain my fond memories of them.

Ie. I genuinely think Baines is awful now. Why did we let this happen?

Sons middle name is after Baines mate, but as a club we keep players too long as starters (Baines, Jagielka, Distin), and keep them around long after they are useless (Hibbert, Osman etc)

Perhaps. But we a not moving forward with those signings you mention. They are medicore, at best
I genuinely think Keane will prove to be a great signing in time.

However, I do agree with the general point you made about so many signings with so little apparent forethought.
I don't agree that the players are mediocre but certainly good players can look average in a team that is playing badly and low on confidence.
I think that individually the players are quite good, but there seems to have been a scatter gun approach to signings while at the same time not replacing the players that the manager knew were leaving... Lukaku and Barkley.
I think that Sandro was certainly worth buying at the price, Pickford now seems cheap, Vlasic was at least value for money and I think Keane will prove the same.

Klaasen seems to be the one that we will really take a hit on and even though it could be said that Sigurdsson cost 20m too much at least he is in the first eleven every week and certainly is working hard enough for the team. With the way prices have gone crazy he will probably appear very good value in twelve months time.

I would look back at Chelsea in the last season that Mourinho was in charge and the players looked so ordinary. Twelve months later under Conte many of the same players looked like world beaters.
Players need confidence in the manager and in their system , they need confidence and belief in themselves and very often that is the difference between looking very good or very ordinary.

Sons middle name is after Baines mate, but as a club we keep players too long as starters (Baines, Jagielka, Distin), and keep them around long after they are useless (Hibbert, Osman etc)
Definitely. There's more you can add to that list of keeping too long too, Howard for instance.

Only Cahill for me in recent years was sold at the right time both player and club.

"if u get gud cum bk 2 us for free"
Are you suggesting we pay money to every kid we release from our youth system because we don't think they will develop into a good enough footballer, just to have a first dibs contract with them just in case they ever get good somewhere else in the future?
But then why would any other team take them on to give them the chance if they aren't going to profit from it?

I can't wait until all our 'old guard' are gone. Stinking the place out something rotten and have done long enough to stain my fond memories of them.

Ie. I genuinely think Baines is awful now. Why did we let this happen?

Think you have to look at the managers involved to answer that, to them and most folk Baines was still showing some good performances. But when really looked at could see pace was dropping off and defensive wise also. Similarly for Jags.

I genuinely think Keane will prove to be a great signing in time.

However, I do agree with the general point you made about so many signings with so little apparent forethought.
I don't agree that the players are mediocre but certainly good players can look average in a team that is playing badly and low on confidence.
I think that individually the players are quite good, but there seems to have been a scatter gun approach to signings while at the same time not replacing the players that the manager knew were leaving... Lukaku and Barkley.
I think that Sandro was certainly worth buying at the price, Pickford now seems cheap, Vlasic was at least value for money and I think Keane will prove the same.

Klaasen seems to be the one that we will really take a hit on and even though it could be said that Sigurdsson cost 20m too much at least he is in the first eleven every week and certainly is working hard enough for the team. With the way prices have gone crazy he will probably appear very good value in twelve months time.

I would look back at Chelsea in the last season that Mourinho was in charge and the players looked so ordinary. Twelve months later under Conte many of the same players looked like world beaters.
Players need confidence in the manager and in their system , they need confidence and belief in themselves and very often that is the difference between looking very good or very ordinary.
Chelsea is but one instance.
Leicester the season before they only went and won it (will never, ever get my head round that happening).
Kendall's Everton before and after the Kevin Brock/Inchy event.

Are you suggesting we pay money to every kid we release from our youth system because we don't think they will develop into a good enough footballer, just to have a first dibs contract with them just in case they ever get good somewhere else in the future?
But then why would any other team take them on to give them the chance if they aren't going to profit from it?

Can't tell if you're asking me a serious question or not there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back