January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely think Keane will prove to be a great signing in time.

However, I do agree with the general point you made about so many signings with so little apparent forethought.
I don't agree that the players are mediocre but certainly good players can look average in a team that is playing badly and low on confidence.
I think that individually the players are quite good, but there seems to have been a scatter gun approach to signings while at the same time not replacing the players that the manager knew were leaving... Lukaku and Barkley.
I think that Sandro was certainly worth buying at the price, Pickford now seems cheap, Vlasic was at least value for money and I think Keane will prove the same.

Klaasen seems to be the one that we will really take a hit on and even though it could be said that Sigurdsson cost 20m too much at least he is in the first eleven every week and certainly is working hard enough for the team. With the way prices have gone crazy he will probably appear very good value in twelve months time.

I would look back at Chelsea in the last season that Mourinho was in charge and the players looked so ordinary. Twelve months later under Conte many of the same players looked like world beaters.
Players need confidence in the manager and in their system , they need confidence and belief in themselves and very often that is the difference between looking very good or very ordinary.
That may be the case. And i hope you are right, and that we will improve overall. But it is a long shot, to hope for.
Sigurd has improved, Keane may come back in shape, after his injury, the players you mention, are potentialy class talents, and may only need ajustments, and time to deliver.
That is true. And i may have been, to fast to give them up.

At the moment though, we are medicore, i think. middle of the table, kind of team.

It's sad, cause we could have moved forward. Now we are in a transition period, and a lot of money and effort spend on something that might not happen.

...Allardyce said he wants to ‘assess’ him in January and will make a decision whether to register him before the end of the window. Read into that what you will, but it sounds like he wanted to know when Baines would be back and also perhaps he had a few irons in the fire (including the recall of Galloway).

If everything fails, he’ll register Garbutt, which says it all really.
So it all boils down to
We ain’t signing a LB

As I said in another post , according to our fans the longer you spend on the Everton bench the better you get
That’s the theory with Lookman Vlasic Sandro Etc.
I rate all 3 players but they are not PL weekly starters
In 4 years' time Klaasen will be deified if greatness is measured in number of hours spent on the bench.*

* that's if he gets good enough to make the bench.

Fair enough if Tosun and Walcott are doing the business and this Henry kid will be involved next year then Sandro is surplus to requirements, but i'd wait till the summer to sell, he can score and looks good in LaLiga, if he goes on loan there and starts scoring again then I think we could get more than 8.8mil for him, just don't see the rush to sell right now
Exactly
Simeone wanted him at Athletico and he has an eye for a striker

As I said in another post , according to our fans the longer you spend on the Everton bench the better you get

You get even better with a long term injury. Mori is practically Baresi at the moment and Bolasie was a saviour until he started playing and became gash again.

The idea is if the players who are on the pitch week in and week out are playing terribly and those other players show promise and something we have been massively lacking, why not give them a go?

Vlasic, for me, looks like he could be a weekly starter. He had an eye and football brain most of our other players don't.

Most of his goals were penalties to be fair.

Let's say Siggy scores those penalties.

Take away a hat trick vs west ham and we still win 1-0 cos of Williams.

We draw 0-0 with Stoke on the opening day and lose to City 1-0. (-3 points)

Can't think of anything else from the top of my head and before you all maul me, YES I am clutching at straws - but everybody did this about Lukaku I'm just making a point. Or losing 3.
Take away those 3 and if we get nothing on Saturday then the picture starts to look a fair bit different.Plus drawing the opening game against a poor Stoke side then losing at City would have put a dent in the minimal confidence this shower has.

maybe, cant say for certain, but the ones playing ahead of them definitely arent.

Talking of CBs, will we ever see Mori play again for us. The way this is going on his contract will run out by the time he starts training again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back